Mount Beauty State DH Round 3

G'day all!

On behalf of Team Mount Beauty I wish to thank and congratulate everyone who attended the event over the weekend. From what I gather everyone had a blast!

Your feedback, positive and/or negative is important and can help shape future events and how they are run. You're invited to post your opinions below, be candid, your voice matters to us! How was the track? How was the transport? How was the catering? How did your mates/families find the spectator access etc.... Let me know!

I don't want to bang on for too long but its important that it be noted that feedback I'm getting from local Mount Beauty business owners and residents has been outstanding. We, as downhillers, have in the past had tarnished reputations from an idiot minority that makes us all look bad. In a small town like mine, any word of wrongdoing moves fast through the grapevine. Its an absolute pleasure to report that I have had nothing but praise for all involved over the weekend. So, WELL DONE, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Thanks goes to the committed Fatty's crew, we could not have pulled it off without you!

Now post your thoughts and opinions, cheers!

Thanks,
Mat G,
Team Mount Beauty

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was an awesome event, really enjoyed it.
The new bottom section is sick, way better than the old way.
The walk up the hill was a little energy consuming sometimes, but there was no way to legally shuttle us in 4x4 up there.
Shuttle line was long, but I guess it was a huge turn out.
Thanks for a great weekend!

I hear ya about the push up. I've been locked in battle with DSE and council to get that short stretch of fire road graded for the past year and a half! Something so simple, but no one wants to put their hand up as 'owners' of that section and maintain it. If the ruts were pushed out, we'd get trailers/mini buses up there no sweat. Its on the agenda......

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Overall it was a well run and organised weekend. Track was pretty cool too, albeit a little hard to get a clean run at any stage in practise due to the tight nature of the track and a huge turnout of riders.

One thing I think you could change is get rid of the coaches, they were the reason it took so long between runs and damn it was hot sitting in them waiting for the other shuttle groups to come down the hill. If it wasnt for the coaches we would have had as many runs as we wanted to. There are better options.

And the push up wasn't much fun.

Agreed, the coaches were a slower option. We have always used them in any Beauty DH race in the past, I think just sheer numbers had us a little swamped this time. Keep in mind though, we managed to move over 300 riders per hour to the trail head, pretty good going under the circumstances really! There were plenty of blokes that scored at least 6 runs on Saturday. Be assured, transport for the Big Hill event in April is an issue that is already being tended to and amended.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
Enjoyed the event, as did the family. Plenty of shade for the kids to sit under while waiting for dad to tumble down the hill. As pointed out it is only the transport but as stated by yourself and Scotty over the weekend you are already onto that.

It makes sence on the new option but only time will tell. If you don't give it a go you wont find out.

Keep up the great work and the family and I will be there for Big Hill.

Cheers
Ant

lloydo

Likes Dirt
enjoyed the track, i would say it was a bit narrow, making it hard for fast riders to pass slow riders. and widder tracks give more line choices also, rather than mostly single track.

fat paddy

Likes Bikes
Thanks you TMB for a massive weekend. The atmosphere was relaxed and from a young family's point of view there was enough around to keep everybody happy. I had a ball.

With reguards to the "walk" up to the start from the drop off....harden up. It's all part of the training/fitness thing. A bit of exercise isn't going to hurt. On the other hand if you want DSE to get a wriggle on with the road works tell them they are looking down the barrel of a litigation if a vehicle rolls off the track due to poor maintenance.

A suggestion for the bus transport logistics. Instead of a loaded bus waiting at Cranky Charlies for an unloaded bus to come down have it the other way round. Have that unload bus wait up the track at a wide point on the road so that the upcoming bus is not heald up. That is don't have a bus loaded with riders standing stationary as it gets very toasty with no air moving in those tin cans. This change will make no differnece to the number of rider movements per hour but it sure will make things more comfortable.

At the Albury DHs water, plastic cups and a big bin is supplied at the top of the hill for the waiting riders just to keep things cool.

Where was the Ice Cream van?

Cheers,

FP

juan

Likes Dirt
I was away from dh for 3 years and was great to be back! great to see three times the amount of riders racing.
I think the event was awesome!! to keep the buses cool with air conditioning always running would be fantastic! they were really hot!
I reckon louder music all the time make a better atmosphere, have you contact redbull or monster energy for some help? a redbull tend and some hot ladies giving free drinks make the event look more...mmm... profesional? not sure but they just look good.:cool:

Last edited:

Sleeman

Likes Dirt
First of all, massive thanks to all involved in running the event. And the track was wicked good fun :)

Yeah, transport was a little slow, but I don't think it was really a bad thing. Had transport been faster, it would then have caused more delays and pile ups on the track. With so many riders trying to practice such a steep and narrow track (and lots of fun) I think that the transport delays helped to keep everyone spaced out.

The selection of food available on site was really good, and the 3 minute walk to the bakery was even better. The LCD display worked really well this race, made it easy to tell who was on a hot run.

The 30 second time gap during racing helped to keep things moving quickly, but the option could be included for some riders to leave a bigger gap if they feel they are going to catch the rider in front of them (U19's come to mind)

Something that would be good is to set up some marquees for the riders at the top of the hill to get some shade. And maybe allow for riders to head up the hill before their allocated shuttle if room allows. Creates a lot of atmosphere in the first few corners when the entire category racing after you is there to cheer/heckle as you roll through.

All in all, was an awesome weekend of racing, and I can't wait for Big Hill

Whitie

Likes Dirt
As the proud parentso of two of the youngest riders on the weekend No 857 (Jackson) and No 858 (Oskar) we can not thank and praise you enough. It was our first large event that we have attended since the boys have chosen this as their sport around six months ago.

We thought it was very well run and the effort the organisers went to, to allow Oskar to compete was way beyond what we expected.In fact to let younger ones compete at this level is fantastic - they are the future of the sport.

Our boys also complain about walking up hill - but they also ride Cross Country for fitness. We have no complaints about the shuttle - it's what we expected for the terrain this sport is run on and the numbers you had to organise.

Again we cannot thank you all enough - the organisers, Shane for riding Oskar's run with him, the riders who carried his bike in the practice runs and all the riders young and old who came up to us and praised and encouraged him for his efforts.The way the older boys look out for the younger ones is great. And the crowds cheering was beyond belief - it brings tears to my eyes.

Again a fantastic weekend and introduction to this level of competition.

We will see you all out there again- they are both keen as mustard.

Thanks heaps

Mum & Dad White

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
My 2 cents

Huge thanks goes out to everyone from timing, to rego, shuttles and first aid.

I honestly didn't have an issue having to walk up, but would prefer it not there when we race it next time.
Acommodation was awesome, so close to everything. The location to the town from the track is wicked.

Thanks again eveyone.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
been mentioned about the the 30 second gaps etc. and how riders are passing the ones infront to easily.

is it possible to get the riders possie from last race, and go fastest to slowest, or even slowest to fastest like done in finals?

or is it too much admin work

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO was the best race ive been too.
Track was the best fun, wasnt too hard, but too do it fast and not slide out was a challenge.
Timing was fantastic with that board at the bottom showing names and times.
The track got a fucking beating over the weekend, was so blown out by the time I (Sport) got to race.
But that made it so much more fun!
Only negative thing I can think of was the shuttles, but we all know that was the best there could have been. And as stated on mtbpicsonline.com there was over 300 riders, so considering that, it was awesome!

Will hopefully be at Rd 5!

Thanks Mt Beauty Team! :D

Brandon.

Likes Bikes
Yea awesome weekend, thanks to all involved. Track was great fun overall with only a few sections tnat could have flowed a bit

better ( like that random ditch halfway down). And the coaches did make it a bit slow, but overall a great weekend.

Cant wait for Big Hill!

Ozza

Eats Squid
Track was great fun overall with only a few sections tnat could have flowed a bit
better ( like that random ditch halfway down). Cant wait for Big Hill!
You have to remember though mate, the tracks got to cater for all skill levels. That hole was being hoped, I thought the track flowed really well and was one of the best Iv ridden for sure.

Sleeman

Likes Dirt
I'm with you Ozza, great track, and a great place to ride. I've raced and ridden XC there heaps in the past, and even got out on the road bike once or twice. Has to be one of my favourite towns to go riding. And the BMX track is good fun as well :)