Mount Isa!

pwadjo

Likes Bikes
Hi there peoples,
Im an irish guy coming to Aus to work in mining and im wondering if any of you have any experience of Mount Isa for either living in general or indeed riding wise. I currently have a Brooklyn racelink and giant reign, would either of them be suitable for riding whats around. Are there any Dh tracks "nearby"?

My thinking is that it seems a bit ropey but i could be wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paddy

Ivan

Eats Squid
Muhahahaha! Welcome to Mount Isa, the only hole above ground.............:D

I promise I'll write more when I'm not at work, but there is almost zero in the way of DH tracks or singletrack. There is lot's of old 4wd trails for XC riding. I guess one of the main reasons that there aren't any DH tracks (and the main reason I haven't built one) is that its all just rocks, rocks and more rocks. The Reign would be perfect for the trails out here.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He he, I haven't been to Mount Isa but I've been living around mining towns. I've found it to be pretty much like Ivan has just said - generally you make your own riding - disused exploration / 4wd tracks or whatever. But Isa is a reasonable size town so I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of like minded people who are into riding.:D

Ivan

Eats Squid
He he, I haven't been to Mount Isa but I've been living around mining towns. I've found it to be pretty much like Ivan has just said - generally you make your own riding - disused exploration / 4wd tracks or whatever. But Isa is a reasonable size town so I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of like minded people who are into riding.:D
There is a social group that rides every Saturday.

pwadjo

Likes Bikes
Isa

I was looking on google earth at the area alright but it looks pretty flat around there except for a few "mountains" outside the town. One called black mountain looks to be of an alright size. How rocky is rocky because some of our tracks here at home are pretty rocky and wet and they ride really good.

I am totally basing my moving to australia on the riding so it is important that there are at least a few dh trails.

Paddy

Ivan

Eats Squid
Basically as rocky as it gets...and sharp buggers too. There are hills around, but like I said they are very harsh terrain, and very difficult to build on. The population of Mount Isa is only 25,000 so you can imagine that there aint that many DH'ers getting around.

It's not a bad place to live, but if you want DH you'll have to live on the coast. Most people only move to Mount Isa for two things, money, work experience or both.

Apparently there is a 2min DH track at Cloncurry, which is an hours drive away, but I'm yet to get there and try it out.

pwadjo

Likes Bikes
isa

What do you do in Mt Isa that keeps you there?Im a geologist and im looking at working in a xstrata mine north of the town. Too right on the reasons for moving there, money money money!

If i do move there ill be the guy buying a brand new nicolai!

How harsh is harsh terrain anyway?

What is the bmx track like?

Sorry for all the questions!

Ivan

Eats Squid
The BMX track is OK, the people there are really friendly. If you plan on racing 20inch you'll have some good competition, but the cruiser class is a bit easy. I raced cruiser last year and was seriously considering going the 20inch this year.

There is some serious money to be earnt in Isa, especially at Xstrata, because people come and go fairly often which makes for fast promotions! However, rents start at $190 per week ( for single man's accommodation) and go up quickly from there.

Sharp bumpy rocks with little respite. Thats about the best I can describe it.

PM Me if you want me info. only too happy to help.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try & get them to do FIFO out of Cairns, should be a beaut place to live (if you like the tropics and has some good DH from what I hear. Or Townsville, my husband was working out Isa way a few years back & was FIFO out of Townsville.
Otherwisey maybe try a job that's FIFO out of Perth in WA, plenty of DH here by the sounds of it (I haven't ridden any of it so can't say from first hand experience) besides Mining in WA seems to pay better than Qld & NSW, from our experience anyway.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try & get them to do FIFO out of Cairns, should be a beaut place to live (if you like the tropics and has some good DH from what I hear.
Definitely alot of Downhill in Cairns, probably one of the best places in Australia to ride.

I've got a friend how just moved to Mt Isa, and I think she mucks around on moto's a fair bit out there. Maybe you might have to look at getting one of them...

funkmaster

Likes Bikes
go riding behind the mines, there is 4wd tracks evrywhere, its pretty much downhill/all mountain but gets better further u go into the mines, but just dont get caught :cool: look on google earth to find tracks or sometimes google maps help a little bit, but i found alot of riding spots from google earth, u just gota know where to look and try remember how to get there when ur out riding, and take water, lots of water :) oh and the bmx track isnt open to everyone so u gotta join up or just go along to practice and wear all the right stuff, but there is a few holes in the fence on the river side(not the touch ovals side) but that was a while ago so might not be there, but once again dont get caught :cool: and if dudes in white tshirts khaki pants, silver helmets backpacks grey moutainbikes with duct tape over the brand names just ride as fast as u can :cool:

well have fun anyways and try not to come off while on the rocks unless you like to bleed =] ..

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Well, I'm leaving the Isa, so no more rocks for me!

I'm off to beautiful Cairns....yeow!