Mountain bike Mags

LiveToRide69

Likes Dirt
I'm going to get some new reading material (mtb magazines) so I was wondering what you guys would recommend, I have already read DIRT, and Mountain Biking SKills, and I really liked DIRT (brittish magazine) except for the lack of posters ect.
any magazines with lots of posters?

HARDTAIL_DC

Likes Dirt
Decline is probably the best for posters (because the pages are so big). Revo usally has a poster page that you can rip out to.

Shima

Likes Bikes
Anyone have a sense of which mags have the most honest reviews. I'm not sure that i trust them to not take cash for comment with big advertising dollars etc. Which do you trust more?

Haro Xeon

Likes Bikes
I dont believe any reviews that are in mtb mags. The companies that advertise in them mags normally get a better review than the companies that dont.

In AMB the bike that they rated last in a review won bike of the year in a us mtb mag.

Viv92

Eats Squid
I dont believe any reviews that are in mtb mags. The companies that advertise in them mags normally get a better review than the companies that dont.

In AMB the bike that they rated last in a review won bike of the year in a us mtb mag.
Don't even talk about AMB reviews. They are nice fiction works.

Dirt is good, Revolution is good but lacks some professional touches like spelling and grammar (they seriously need a literate editor, or even spell check).

CHADDY

Likes Bikes
The best mag I read is bike from the states.
It goes through the usual ups and downs, but most months you can read it cover to cover.
More of a "thinking bikers" mag. rather than one for the ADD generation (of which I am a senior member):)

I have to admit that I dont give the majority of reviews even a glance these days.
I was put off by month upon month of reviews (from all different mags) who would rate a bike or piece of equipment badly because they hadnt set it up correctly!

And a classic example was a trail bike review a couple, of years ago:
There were two different bikes, with the same air sprung fork.
1 bike review said the bike wasn't as good becuase the fork was too firm and the other review rated the bike down because the fork was too soft!
HA!

As far as reviews go. I would always tell my junior team riders off for jumping on someone elses bike and bouncing around in the car park on it to determine how it "felt".
"Oh this bike / brand of something feels awesome / crap."
How about:
a) set the whole bike up for your weight, shape, preferences.
b) time yourself on a section of trail (and make it one that the bike is designed for)
c) then change something you are considering
d) time yourself again
Then make a decision.

I also like the quote from a mate of mine from a little town in Canada starting with W:
"Those with personal preferences prefer to loose!"

Keep the dream alive

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Revolution

Revo lacks good grammar and Punctuation but there is still heaps of substance to there articles so im goin 2 bac em

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Revo lacks good grammar and Punctuation but there is still heaps of substance to there articles so im goin 2 bac em
I agree and that's coming from someone who writes for a living. :D
Errors here and there, but for the most part it adds to the rawness of the content.

I've been reading AMB on and off for close to 10 years (anyone remember 'Third Force'?), and they really haven't lifted the game much over the years.

Their reviews seem to pander too much to their clique of friends who are somewhat affiliated with the brands they review. I guess it's symptomatic of a small industry where everyone knows each other.

Link

Likes Dirt
The irony is killing me - remember the pot and kettle...

Just to add to the debate. I write reviews for magazines and I favour no man, woman or beast. But I admit, the objectivity of the industry in this regard leaves much to be desired.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The irony is killing me - remember the pot and kettle...

Just to add to the debate. I write reviews for magazines and I favour no man, woman or beast. But I admit, the objectivity of the industry in this regard leaves much to be desired.
Yeah i guess my grammar and English skills are kind-off lacking, but yet there was still substance to my reply!

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Its a little hard to come by, and as long as you can put up with having a mag that is 3months old... But I dont mind Mountain Bike UK.

You get freebees too!!! Its not much, but so far ive got a chainstay guard, 3 DVDs, more stickers than I know what to do with, spanners, headstem guard, posters, etc.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i use to be really into AMB :eek:, but now ive moved onto revolution. so far so good..........ive only got 1 issue so far :eek:

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its a little hard to come by, and as long as you can put up with having a mag that is 3months old... But I dont mind Mountain Bike UK.

You get freebees too!!! Its not much, but so far ive got a chainstay guard, 3 DVDs, more stickers than I know what to do with, spanners, headstem guard, posters, etc.
Where Do you get it from? Never knew it exsisted before

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Where Do you get it from? Never knew it exsisted before
My local Newspower Newsagent... Prob doesnt help though. Maybe ask at ur newsagent if they could special order some in. The one I go to only 'imports' 3-4 per month, at about $13 an issue

www.bikeradar.com is the website given in the mag, or subs through www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk (mag again)

Despite the fact that the prices are in English Pounds, and some of the bikes and products we dont get here, its a pretty good read

andytaylor

Likes Dirt
Yeah i guess my grammar and English skills are kind-off lacking, but yet there was still substance to my reply!
substance, substance, substance
word of the day

Yeah i guess my grammar and English skills are kind-off lacking
guess they are

to put something to this forum
revo is good
australian owned about australia
perfect

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
substance, substance, substance
word of the day

Yeah i guess my grammar and English skills are kind-off lacking
guess they are

to put something to this forum
revo is good
australian owned about australia
perfect
Since When have i ever cared?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I really like Revo and Clict for Aussie stuff, I know one of the writers and I trust what he has to say. And those mags have given some of our very own Farkin Brother a go by publishing their work.
Dirt for the UK scene (I like the way they do things), and MBUK only cause I have had images published by them.:D But I find their articles good aswell.
I tend to get Decline every now and then, it's too damn expensive, and when you can get a better mag in Dirt.:D