Movember

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Tomorrow morning I will be shaving my face completely clean until the 30th of November. I’m giving myself a two week head start so that my tash will be epic. the plan is grow out my beard till the first of November then shave everything but the tash. so why am I doing this to “change the face of mens health.”
“Each year Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces in Australia and around the world, with the sole aim of raising vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and depression in men.

Men sporting Movember moustaches, known as Mo Bros, become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November and through their actions and words raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.

Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo growing efforts. The rules are simple; register online at Movember.com and start the month of Movember clean shaven, before growing a Mo.

Money raised in Australia is shared equally between programs targeting prostate cancer and male depression. Funds are committed to our men’s health partners, the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and beyondblue – the national depression initiative and the Movember Foundation. Together, the three channels work to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world class programs in the fields of research, education, support, and awareness.

For further details on how Movember funds are being spent, please visit the Outcomes section of the Movember Foundation website.

Since inception, Movember has continued to grow each year, both in terms of participation numbers and funds raised. In its first year, 30 Mo Bros took part and last year, in Australia alone, over 128, 000 Mo Bro & Sistas got on board, raising more than $21 million.

Having been started by mates in Australia, Movember now takes place around the world. Motivated and inspired by what was happening in Australia, a further nine countries- New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK, Finland, the Netherlands, Spain, South Africa and Ireland - now embrace the Mo in an official capacity each November. In addition, Movember is aware of Mo Bros & Sistas supporting the cause right across the globe, from Russia to Dubai, Hong Kong to Denmark and everywhere in between.

At the end of Movember, a series of Gala Partés are held across Australia (and the world) to thank Mo Bros and Sistas for their remarkable fundraising efforts. Mo Bros (dressed to suit their Mo) and Mo Sistas (dressed to suit their Mo Bro) come together to celebrate the Mo and compete for a number of category titles in the perfect opportunity to see what Movember is really about; great mates, health, and fun. And of course, the Mo.”

Big steps have been taken towards changing attitudes and habits relating to men’s health around the world but there is still much to be done to catch up with the women’s health movement. Via the moustache, Movember aims to continue to provoke conversation each year, with a view to breaking down long standing and traditional taboos and habits.
http://au.movember.com/about/

“There is still much to be done to catch up with the women’s health movement” <~~~ THIS! there is so much done for womens heath these days, the breast cancer symbol is on everything, even as far as NRL teams playing in pink and I even saw it on a brand of engine oil. So why is there no blue ribbon on hair spray cans or lip stick and why is the Australian netball teams playing in blue jerseys? curing any cancer is good news but bare in mind “Each year in Australia, close to 3,300 men die of prostate cancer - equal to the number of women who die from breast cancer annually. Around 20,000 new cases are diagnosed in Australia every year.” http://www.prostate.org.au/articleLive/pages/Prostate-Cancer-Statistics.html

As well supporting the prostate cancer foundation movember is splitting its funds with beyond blue.
So sponsor me I will even have the tash for formal. Lets change the face of mens health!

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Tomorrow morning I will be shaving my face completely clean until the 30th of November. I’m giving myself a two week head start so that my tash will be epic.
you rock. i host "NO-MOW November" for wives and partners. lets's do a reciprocal donate fund?

yeah, and i love the fact that some ppl get weirded out.

scblack

Leucocholic
I did the Movember two years ago with all the guys here at work.

It sucks.

Its great to raise money - thats what is important of course. But the moustache is the itchiest, most annoying thing I've ever encountered in my life. The second I could shave it off, it went. Never to return.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
I did the Movember two years ago with all the guys here at work.

It sucks.

Its great to raise money - thats what is important of course. But the moustache is the itchiest, most annoying thing I've ever encountered in my life. The second I could shave it off, it went. Never to return.
yep same -
I've done it 3 years running but I don't think I can bring myself to do it this year.

'Ross

Eats Squid
There is always lots of moustache talk at my work and theorising about who could grow the best one, I'm thinking this year I will make an official thing and force everyone to sign up.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
There is always lots of moustache talk at my work and theorising about who could grow the best one, I'm thinking this year I will make an official thing and force everyone to sign up.
haha thats the spirit.

Just to get people MO-tivated heres my MO I styled after I got back from the snow this year with 1 months worth of growth. I plan t grow a beard for 2 weeks as of today and then shave it into handle bars at the start of the month.P1000800.jpg

Joy

Likes Dirt
"Son, I'm sorry but you'll never be able to grow facial hair. It's just not in your genes. Don't worry though, because you'll also never develop bad back/ear/nose hair."
-My Dad

Sorry guys, I'm 22 and physically incapable of growing something resembling a moustache.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Son, I'm sorry but you'll never be able to grow facial hair. It's just not in your genes. Don't worry though, because you'll also never develop bad back/ear/nose hair."
-My Dad

Sorry guys, I'm 22 and physically incapable of growing something resembling a moustache.
Pretty much the same with me. At the moment I have this seedy brownish fluff on my chin and blonde mo.. The mo will be there for the month though, will look ludicrous!

IronPony

Likes Bikes
I shaved off my beard last night in preperation to grow an epic mo. How about a rotorburn best mo competition?

notso

Likes Dirt
I think you'll find the rules regarding being an active member of Movember require a clean shave on the 30th of October.

I'm genuinely opposed to this as I never shave, I use clippers. However rules are rules and once again I will lose 10 years when I shave on the 30th

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I think you'll find the rules regarding being an active member of Movember require a clean shave on the 30th of October.

I'm genuinely opposed to this as I never shave, I use clippers. However rules are rules and once again I will lose 10 years when I shave on the 30th
Yer but im only 17 so I want a head start to grow a big mo

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I'm going to grow what will no doubt be regarded as a novice mo. For the last 6 weeks i've been nurturing a broken collarbone and have grown my beard and stash. Time to shave it off for a good cause though.

driftking

Wheel size expert

same clippers are so much easier, Although rules are rules It not a competition (primarily) and its to raise awareness so starting a few weeks or days early and using clippers im all for.

Iainm

Likes Dirt
I wimped out last year after 2 weeks but i start a new job on the 1st of nov so might weird my new workmates out with dodgy upper lip stubble. Did I miss the link to the movember website?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
For the first time since 1996 my upper lip is clean.
This is me this morning.
Hopefully I can raise a few donations, but I`ll be happy if a few blokes become a bit more aware of their health and get themselves sorted out sooner rather than later.
I`m doing it for my family. Hopefully I`ll be able to hang around for a long time to come.
If you don`t want to grow a mo, the get involved and support someone else that can.
Cheers
MH

martinpb

Likes Dirt
mmm... i'm not sure that the money raised is really the issue. the amounts raised are very small compared with the amount of funding that comes into medical research from the government and "big pharma" (shock horror they do good things??!!?!! - OMG!!!) That said, my understanding is that most of them money from Movember goes back into raising awareness, so it's a vertious cycle :)

The big bit for me with Movember is to get men to look at themselves and think - mmm... i'm sure that wasn't like that 3 months back and then get over to the GP for a check-up. It may be nothing, it may be minor, it may be fatal, but there are relitively few diseases/conditions that are totally untreatable (prion diseases springs to mind) - and on average, the sooner you get treated, the sooner you get back on the bike (which is surely the point of having a Movember thread on a MTB forum :)

Martin

PS - love "Mad Hatter's" reason to be involved - i guess it's the only reason to do it really

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am doing it for the first time this year and as at yesterday morning was clean shaven for the first time in 5 years. My other team mates all cheated and started growing on the weekend, but I am hoping to catch up.

'Ross

Eats Squid
The big bit for me with Movember is to get men to look at themselves and think - mmm... i'm sure that wasn't like that 3 months back and then get over to the GP for a check-up. It may be nothing, it may be minor, it may be fatal, but there are relitively few diseases/conditions that are totally untreatable
Exactly, its an awareness campaign not a fundraiser (although it is cool that it does both)

I'm pretty sure the original idea was to spark conversations about mens health...clever way of going about it.