Moving to Melbourne - where should we rent in order to be close to trails?

Sattvic

Squid
Moving to Melbourne,

Wife, Newborn, dog and I are moving to Melbourne soon. I'll be working in St. Kilda and need to rent a house for the family.

I lived in Brissy and loved riding Jinkers/Daisy/Parklands/Tewantin/Bayview areas - as a comparison.

Anywhere that'll allow a nice 30-50KM loop of single track shredding is what I am after. I enjoy XCM style of riding as well as "Enduro" trails, but enjoy smashing for 3 hours straight the most if I had to choose between the two styles of riding.

Now, where should we rent in Melbourne in order to be able to ride trails before work in the morning? I don't mind up to 30km commute - most important thing is to have trails as close to home as possible.

Any feed back and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Having done exactly the same thing 15yrs ago, my pick would be finding a place in the Richmond/Abbotsford, Fairfield/Kew, Collingwood/Fitzroy North area. You've got an extensive network of trails that shadow the Yarra River & provide a tonne of trail riding. Whatever you do, don't rent in St Kilda or southside of the river- it's literally the arse end of Melb (despite its location) in the scheme of things & provides very little in the way of access to green spaces let alone trails.

Pop on into the Watering Hole section of Rotorburn & in the Victoria section you'll find the Yarra Trails thread- this will give you a great idea of where to ride, relative to your location, along with a great list of good eggs from the area to connect with to get out for a roll. Likewise there's a host of info on other popular ride spots outside of Melbourne worth exploring/getting out for a razz on.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The advice above is good if you like inner city living and the associated pros/cons. If you want an outer suburb lifestyle and you're happy to drive to work you could consider the outer east, then you'll have Lysterfield and Red Hill close by... or you could go west and have Wombat and the You Yangs as your locals but I wouldn't recommend it, the commute across the West Gate then to St Kilda isn't very nice.

Or you could go inner/mid north and have Plenty Gorge and Smiths Gully. Again the issue is the same as living in the west, getting to St Kilda which is somewhat isolated little pocket sucks from this direction.

it depends on your tolerance for commuting in busy traffic tbh, the style of housing you want and your budget.

I do like SR&R's suggestion - can you ride your bike to work? I know you said you wanted to ride in the morning, but if you rode to work you could rip along the Yarra on your way home, the riverside trails are actually quite good. Even living in Heidelberg or Greensborough becomes a possibility, the riding out there along the Yarra is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
30km commute in Melbourne isn't like a 30km commute in Brisbane. Traffic can be quite frustrating.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I'm in Fitzroy north. Rent can be very expensive unless you rent a hovel like me but I can finish early shifts and be on the Studley park trails ( Yarra trails south end) in 10 minutes. 30 mins on the train to Greensbourgh and your at plenty gorge and 45 mins from city to You Yangs. I like the inner north but like others said if you move by the Yarra you'll be near a trail. Good look house hunting

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Move to Little River, can pick up a nice hovel for $50, You Yangs on your doorstep.

Who wants to be close to work...

#hashtag

mgibbo

Cannon Fodder
Castlemaine has heaps of great all season trails. Affordable rent and about an hour from melbourne cbd on the train.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You Yangs is the best bit of dirt for the mix of riding you like doing, but at 50-odd km from town isn't ideal for early-morning pre-work escapades. Lysterfield is a similar distance out the other side. Your biggest problem is working close to the middle of town; whichever way you go to get a ride, getting back is a bitch of a mission.

Sattvic

Squid
Thanks for all the feed back - much appreciated :wave:

There is no parking at work, so I would need to ride my bike to work - showers and bike lock ups at work so that's all good.

I'd much prefer to live close to the river north side as suggested and be able to ride single track in the morning on my way to work. Fingers crossed that the right rental pops up, but so far it looks expensive / unavailable needing 3+ bedrooms and a dog....

Following that logic we are also looking at Pt. Cook - apparently there is a bike path almost all the way to St. Kilda (incl. a trip on a punt) on a route that does not see a lot of traffic. It would be a 30-35K commute each way. That would get the weekly road ride mileage/training out of the way.

Luckily I have the option to work from home once or twice per week. I thought that Pt. cook would be a great location to get to you yangs quickly in the mornings on the days that I work from home? Head out early, get a few hours of riding in, and back to work from home. I assume that traffic between Pt. Cook and You Yangs won't be too bad.

Thanks again guys - any feed back on the Pt. Cook to City bike commute / location for riding would be appreciated.

Cheers,

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Luckily I have the option to work from home once or twice per week. I thought that Pt. cook would be a great location to get to you yangs quickly in the mornings on the days that I work from home? Head out early, get a few hours of riding in, and back to work from home. I assume that traffic between Pt. Cook and You Yangs won't be too bad.
That aspect works very well - the worst of the traffic in the mornings will be heading in to town, so out towards You Yangs from Pt. Cook will be pretty easy going.

Can't comment too well on the commute in to town though, I'm on the opposite side & don't go anywhere near the city/inner 'burbs.

Sattvic

Squid
Having done exactly the same thing 15yrs ago, my pick would be finding a place in the Richmond/Abbotsford, Fairfield/Kew, Collingwood/Fitzroy North area. You've got an extensive network of trails that shadow the Yarra River & provide a tonne of trail riding. Whatever you do, don't rent in St Kilda or southside of the river- it's literally the arse end of Melb (despite its location) in the scheme of things & provides very little in the way of access to green spaces let alone trails.
Had a look at the Yarra Trails thread - seems like there is a thriving community that I'd love to be a part of. Fingers crossed that we can find something in the Heidelberg area (closer to city appears too expensive).

How is the city traffic in the morning between Yarra river trails south exit and St. Kilda from an MTB point of view? I always try to avoid inner city roads with a lot of traffic when on my bike. I've just had too many near death experiences and prefer to be safe. Not sure about VIC, but QLD car drivers will go out of their way to cut you off and or run you off the road. They seem nicer to MTBs than Road bikes, but still.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks for all the feed back - much appreciated :wave:

There is no parking at work, so I would need to ride my bike to work - showers and bike lock ups at work so that's all good.

I'd much prefer to live close to the river north side as suggested and be able to ride single track in the morning on my way to work. Fingers crossed that the right rental pops up, but so far it looks expensive / unavailable needing 3+ bedrooms and a dog....

Following that logic we are also looking at Pt. Cook - apparently there is a bike path almost all the way to St. Kilda (incl. a trip on a punt) on a route that does not see a lot of traffic. It would be a 30-35K commute each way. That would get the weekly road ride mileage/training out of the way.

Thanks again guys - any feed back on the Pt. Cook to City bike commute / location for riding would be appreciated.

Cheers,
The spotty bike punt is a nice little trip across the river, but can be freaking cold when a winter southerly is coming off the bay.

Have a look a bit closer in, Altona, Newport, Spottiswood, etc. They may be further from the Youies than point Cook, but access to the freeway is better, and would likely be quicker to Little River anyway, and certainly quicker to St Kilda.

Point Cook pretty much has two ways in or out, and a fuck ton of motorised population to contend with.

#hashtag

Had a look at the Yarra Trails thread - seems like there is a thriving community that I'd love to be a part of. Fingers crossed that we can find something in the Heidelberg area (closer to city appears too expensive).

How is the city traffic in the morning between Yarra river trails south exit and St. Kilda from an MTB point of view? I always try to avoid inner city roads with a lot of traffic when on my bike. I've just had too many near death experiences and prefer to be safe. Not sure about VIC, but QLD car drivers will go out of their way to cut you off and or run you off the road. They seem nicer to MTBs than Road bikes, but still.
Yeah, the YT thread & the trail community is well & truly alive & kicking.

Plenty of potential for you guys in that Heidleberg, Bulleen, Thornbury area (as too Fairfield/Alphington/Balwyn-ish area) & they're all 100% manageable as far as the bike commute goes. For 4yrs I did the daily bike commute from Ivanhoe to Middle Park for work- see the couple of images attached below with the route I used to do- excuse the rough MS Paint. Give or take, you'd be looking at a 45-1hr commute time each way. There's still a few spots (mainly Heidleberg West) which are a bit sketcharoo as far as neighbourhoods go, but otherwise it's an incredibly well amenitised area (City of Darebin region) & all the infrastructure you could need as a young family in terms of clinics, childcare centres, shops & public transport options. If you can justify it, then maybe consider not mentioning you have a dog or any pets when looking for a rental as, once again from my own experience & difficulty, more often than not Melbourne real estates will simply stone wall you. Whenever our inspections came up my partner & I would simply clean & air freshen the wahzoo out of the place (usually by the scent of delicious baking etc) then throw the dog & its belongings in the car & one of us would disappear with the pooch until it was safe to come back.

One of the other cool things about that area is that you're also within coo-ee of Plenty Gorge which also has a very active thread on here & an extensive network of singletrack.

Basically everything from Bulleen (& north of Bullen within that distinctive green belt) to Yarra Bend Park/Richmond is dedicated pathway that shadows the river & has an absolute swag of ST options coming off it (heck, you could comfortably put together 30kms of ST before even getting to Richmond). Once you've crossed the Walmer St bridge at Abbotsford/Richmond you're then on dedicate pathway (cement/asphalt) that shadows the river once again until the city, so effectively 70% of your ride deals with absolutely minimal traffic. Once you've skirted the northern end of the Botanical Gardens you can just ride the 10min down to St Kilda along St Kilda Rd & Barkly St, which are well provisioned with both bike lanes & fellow cyclists. The dotted alternative route on the images is via Burnley St for 100m & then up Highett St, Richmond, before cutting down through the MCG/Rod Laver Arena precinct, which while involving some traffic I still found to be the safest way to add a shortcut in when I was strapped for time of a morning. Word of advice- steer clear of Chapel St altogether & Punt Rd/Hoddle St is 100% a no-go zone. The wonderful hazard of having many singletrack routes/options between Bulleen & Richmond is that you invariably chase a little too much ST on your way in & subsequently need to call on the 10-15min shortcut option to get to St Kilda Rd.

Load up on lights & wet weather gear & ride with plenty of commonsense & you won't have any dramas with the traffic. Definitely the safest cycling city in the country, but as with anywhere in the world there's still plenty of dickheads on the road.

YT route.jpg

YT route2.jpg

Last edited:

Sattvic

Squid
Thanks again for all the feed back. I do love the MTB community :peace:

Based on this now planning on finding something in Bulleen. Riding ST to work - that's just too good to give up ;-)

Ideate

Yeah do that. Then drive out to the Youies on the weekends. It's cheap out in the west but traffic over the bridge is messy during peak. St Kilda's pretty easy to get to once you cross the bridge though.

Commuting would be boring also compared to the Yarra. Having said that, I like living 15-20 minutes drive from the You Yangs. I often go for a spin after work while everyone's in traffic, especially during the lighter months. I told the missus I wanted to buy the property on Drysdale Rd but she didn't seem very interested..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks again for all the feed back. I do love the MTB community :peace:

Based on this now planning on finding something in Bulleen. Riding ST to work - that's just too good to give up ;-)
If your coming northeast have a look at heidelberg/rosanna/macleod they are on the train line. Bulleen only has buses, residents from bulleen templestowe drive to rosanna to catch the train.
I used to commute to south yarra (close to stkilda) 16km using a combo of road/trail. There is a heap of st to be had on the commute. On weekends all the north trails are a close ride/drive Plenty gorge/hans/smiths gully.
Family wise also, heidelberg/rosanna is far better serviced than bulleen with heaps of schools (public/private), child care, hospitals, doctors, shops, cafes etc..
While bulleen isn't far the traffic between the two suburbs is horrendous.

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
I used to live in Heidelberg and commute into the city for work. The good thing about Heidi is the train is pretty good for the days you can't ride.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk