Moving to Melbourne

Timbo83

Likes Bikes
My fiance and I are looking at moving from Adelaide to melbourne atthe end of the year, to take jobs in the city.

My question is - since we dont know much about melbourne, where would be the best place to live in the suburbs that has fairly easy access to XC single track (or the like), and still be able to commute to work fairly easily???

Agame

Likes Bikes
Oh boy, stay in Adelaide if that's what you're after. There's some good riding to be had just outside of suburban Melbourne, but not the city.

Lysterfield park is in the outer eastern suburbs, but not a good area for getting into the city, too far to bike, no public transport.

Maybe look to the northern suburbs. A reasonable commute from the north wouldn't have you too far from some dirt.

The west, Werribee area, has you about the same distance from the city and the You Yangs but not really near either. It's also probably the least desirable.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Unless you want to ride the same place all the time you will be driving quite a lot to go riding in melbourne. I would base my decision more to do with were you plan on working as limiting you commute or maximising you ability to ride safely if that us you aim along with living in area that you like is a key to enjoying the move to melbourne. For inner city you can't beat inner north east fitzroy to northcote as you have yarra trails within ten mins ride away and the city 10 mins the other on mostly bike lanes. I live in fitzroy myself and love th access to the trails, Lysterfield is 40 mins; you yangs 50 mins so on

Saying that if you are also on a road bike, I know plenty who commute from 30k on a bike which opens it up out to bayside suburbs or closer to lysterfield and mt dandenong. but you will have to battle with traffic.

Happy to provide any other info you are after.

Timbo83

Likes Bikes
Oh boy, stay in Adelaide if that's what you're after. There's some good riding to be had just outside of suburban Melbourne, but not the city.
Yeah, that's what i was afraid of. Ive got it so sweet where i live now, right at the base of the foothills in Adelaide, trails start basically at my door.....and only 20min ride to work in the centre of town!!

Bummer. I guess its still pretty good having the yarra trails closer to town. I'll miss my weekday hill climbs on a detoured route home from work though!! :(

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
As per the other responses, for the inner east anywhere from Ivanhoe to CBD is great but exy on rent. Inner north say Thornbury Northcote Fitzroy Carlton, again rent is not nice.

Really though if you want the single track head out past Ivanhoe in that line and look at Bulleen / Heidelberg / Templestowe / Eltham and you now have plenty of choice.

Once you know all the trails you can link up a ripper 6hr loop that includes the Mullim.

Hope you've got legs ;)

Also check out some of the local clubs who have regular rides, such as Fat Tyre Flyers or shop rides like from My Mountain, Vic MTB, BSC etc.

There is heaps of riding within about 5 to 10 mins of city around Richmond / Abbotsford near the breweries and has been for many years. Ride with those groups and you'll learn the trails.

See ya.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Hey Timbo83,
Does it have to be Melbourne? Living in capitol cities makes it easy to forget that there are other options.
I grew up in RAdelaide and after shifting around a bit ended up in N.E. VIC. Talking to others it seems there is a fair bit of work in regional centres as well as a strong riding culture. After over 8 years here I'm still amazed by the amount of water and the size of the trees.

Last edited:

Timbo83

Likes Bikes
Does it have to be Melbourne? Living in capitol cities makes it easy to forget that there are other options.
Unfortunately yes. Our chosen career paths (building services engineer for me & aid/charity work for my fiance) mean we need to work in the city. It doesnt have to be melbourne, but im not a fan of living in sydney or brisbane (love visiting them though, and perth is too far away. Theres a slight chance still that we could end up in Canberra, but id prefer melbourne.

Id love to live further out of melbourne if it was practical for us, maybe near you yang or otway, that would be handy. Ah to dream

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty certain they have large multi-story buildings and charity/welfare organisations in some of the larger regional centres. The point I was making is that some of the larger inland cities can offer work, lifestyle, good riding and the possibility of buying a home within cycling distance from work.
I didn't even think there was civilization outside of the capitol cities for years.
If you are determined to work on skyscrapers etc. you'd need to be in a city, but even small towns like Wangaratta with a population of ~20,000, have places like The Performing Arts Centre and hospital that would use a BSM.
I'm not sure about Melbourne , but I lived in Sydney without a car and could use the trains to get to good riding locations whilst living within 15 minutes ride of the CBD. Although it did mean riding was a day out, rather than the 10km of single track I punched out this morning before getting the kids off to school and kinder.

MR76

Squid
I agree with the the inner north. Thornbury, Northcote and surrounds. Close to the city, good restaurants, bars and cafes and close to some very good singletrack in the metro Melbourne (Yarra Trails), while not a lot of hills you can easily create a long loop 40Km plus on singletrack - Think Fairfield Boathouse towards Westerfolds Park and back.