Moving to Sydney - Good MTB Suburbs?

4xsama

Cannon Fodder
Hi,

At the end of the year/early 2017 I will be moving to Sydney. I'm keen to know what suburbs are good for or reasonably close to some MTB trails (singletrack etc).

In an ideal world I'll move somewhere along the north shore train line for commuting to work. Judging by house prices it will be a fair way out on the train line or a bus ride to a station.

Any suggestions for a suburb with some good trails. I have a Pivot 429 so singletrack/uphill/enduro is all good fun.

Cheers

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Hornsby if we are talking northern train line ... presuming you are OK with a daily grind to the CBD

Lindfield / St Ives / Forestville are places I'd like to live for the bush life.

There is some potential around the Lanecove area for some stealth trails for a quick blat before dinner and the sun goes down during summer.

South:

Helensburgh I reckon should be a mecca

Anywhere around the Shire train stations really Jannali, Gymea to Sutho.

For me ... I think Sydney and surrounds is about diversity of riding ... Innerwest is pretty much 45mins from all areas, North, South, Southwest, West for an early morning blast ... +1.5hr from the Blue Mountains, Wollongong, North Coast ... if you are kidless and don't need to spend every minute with partner and vice versa, then hook up with a crew and taste some of everything and rotate the weekends and night rides.

Happy to show you some of my favs when you are settled on a location.

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Inner West. I'm 20mins from RNP and Menai, 30mins to Kentlyn and Mt Annan, 50mins to Helensburg, Appin, Hornsby/Westleigh, Glenbrook or Northern Beaches trails. The inner west is slap bang in the middle of all the riding in Sydney (just about) and is close to work

So no riding on my door step (unless you have the skill to ride Girraween Park). But the commute times to work are excellent. 30 minutes ride from Canterbury to Leichhardt (because I don't want to get too sweaty). No traffic problems for me, no late trains.