Mowbray Park Farm

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The official opening of the Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club track at Mowbray Park Farm that we have been working on since April 2013 will be Saturday, January 18th. The first 50 riders will receive a showbag with a few bits and pieces in it.

The track is definitely an XC track. It's fast and flowy and has been tested using 26" and 29" bikes, male and female riders, 13-60 year olds and one crazy guy on a fatbike.

The venue is also a working farm so there should be plenty to do for the rest of the family.

Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club page

Mowbray Park Farm page

When: Saturday, 18 January, 2014 - 11am until 4pm

Mowbray Park Farm is located just out of Picton. Enter off Barkers Lodge Rd. The track entrance is opposite the main carpark.

Here is some of what we've been working on.

Update: The owners of MPF have said that unless you are a Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club member or holder of a current MTBA racing license you will not be able to ride the track.

Update: Insurance is an obvious issue for MPF with the track being on their private property.

The WTB MTB Club can offer $5 MTBA Participation Permits on the day, of which the club makes no money.

I think this track is a positive step forward for mtbing in the Wollondilly Shire, otherwise I would not have dedicated so much time and effort towards making it happen.

I apologise if this arrangement doesn't work for you.

Update: Plan for the day...

This is the plan for Saturdays opening at MPF.

From 10am - Participation Permit and new club memberships taken. The $5 from the PP goes to MTBA. The $20 WTB mtb club membership goes to the club. The PP is just for the day. The club membership will let you ride MPF by signing in and showing your membership card. Temporary cards will be issued on the day.

11:00 - Brief introduction to the track, WTB mtb club and MPF.

11:15 - I will lead a guided lap. Other club members who are familiar with the track may take faster or slower groups as we determine how everyone is going. Sausage sandwiches and some salad stuff will also be available. Show bags will be handed out at the track entrance to the first 50 riders. I'll have a marker there to write your name on the bags so you can pick them up after the first lap.

Animal visits and horse rides might be available for non riding family members depending on the condition of the animals in the projected heat.

12:00 - 12:15 - The first lap should be completed and you can go for a spin at your leisure, or grab a sausage sandwich or do whatever you want.

It is going to be hot! Estimated finish time will be 4pm.

Bring sunscreen and plenty of water. You must also wear a helmet while riding, be on a bike that is in good functioning condition with working brakes, gears, wheels and steering. That should cover it.

Feel free to ask questions and/or pass this information on.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update: The owners of MPF have said that unless you are a Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club member or holder of a current MTBA racing license you will not be able to ride the track.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
That is slack to say the least. Especially if you want riders to pay to use the track and not be able to ride it on the day. I reckon its going to be pretty slim on the numbers.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Insurance is an obvious issue for MPF with the track being on their private property.

The WTB MTB Club can offer $5 MTBA Participation Permits on the day, of which the club makes no money.

I think this track is a positive step forward for mtbing in the Wollondilly Shire, otherwise I would not have dedicated so much time and effort towards making it happen.

I apologise if this arrangement doesn't work for you.

Fi

Chocolate Foot
We were out there yesterday to check out the track and give a bit of a hand (sorry we couldn't stay longer!). An incredible amount of hard work has gone into putting this track into existence!

Definitely worth coming along (it's only $5 if you're non-MTBA) to take a look and help ride it in!

Fi

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Five bucks is nothing to ride the track. I am sure you could find it in lost change in your car. Better still if you are a local you could consider joining the club as there is a cheap membership option.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Five bucks is nothing to ride the track. I am sure you could find it in lost change in your car. Better still if you are a local you could consider joining the club as there is a cheap membership option.
I agree that $5 is nothing to ride the track. I thought from the comment before that it was only going to be restricted to people from the local area or card holders. I thought it was going to be so restricted that people out of the area couldn't ride it. I'll be more than happy to support the new track, it sounds really good from what I have heard.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the 11am to 4pm opening time just for the event on the day? what are opening times for other days?

I appreciate the insurance issue, but will this stop someone sueing MPF? I would actually prefer to pay $5 if it went to upkeep/expansion of the trail rather than insurance which isn't going to give me much when I have my own in place.

I have been keeping an eye on development on FB and it looks like a fun trail.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the 11am to 4pm opening time just for the event on the day? what are opening times for other days?

I appreciate the insurance issue, but will this stop someone sueing MPF? I would actually prefer to pay $5 if it went to upkeep/expansion of the trail rather than insurance which isn't going to give me much when I have my own in place.

I have been keeping an eye on development on FB and it looks like a fun trail.
Those hours are specifically for the opening day this Saturday.

Regular times for WTB Club members will be around 8am until 5pm, as those are the office hours and we need to sign in. Again, this is so they know people are on the track, especially if they see a car with a bike rack in the car park for hours and hours.

Non WTB Club members paying to use the track is definitely on the cards as it is on private land. That is a call that MPF have to make.

Last edited:

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those hours are specifically for the opening day this Saturday.

Regular times for WTB Club members will be around 8am until 5pm, as those are the office hours and we need to sign in. Again, this is so they know people are on the track, especially if they see a car with a bike rack in the car park for hours and hours.

Non WTB Club members paying to use the track is definitely on the cards as it is on private land. That is a call that MPF have to make.
cheers, thanks for that. Will the track be open every day?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers, thanks for that. Will the track be open every day?
After the 18th it will be open every day for WTB club members, providing it hasn't been raining for days on end. The Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club facebook page would be the best way to check if the track is open or not. It will not be closed as often as Mt Annan for example.

On the Mt Annan comparison, because I believe it is an obvious comparison to make. If you like Mt Annan, I think you'll love MPF. If you don't like Mt Annan, I think you will like MPF. If you love Mt Annan I think you wear dark coloured shorts over your knicks when riding MPF!

The MPF team still haven't determined if non WTB Club members will have to pay per use or simply not be allowed to ride the track. That isn't my decision to make unfortunately.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the plan for the Saturday opening at MPF.

From 10am - Participation Permit and new club memberships taken. The $5 from the PP goes to MTBA. The $20 WTB mtb club membership goes to the club. The PP is just for the day. The club membership will let you ride MPF by signing in and showing your membership card. Temporary cards will be issued on the day.

11:00 - Brief introduction to the track, WTB mtb club and MPF.

11:15 - I will lead a guided lap. Other club members who are familiar with the track may take faster or slower groups as we determine how everyone is going. Sausage sandwiches and some salad stuff will also be available. Show bags will be handed out at the track entrance to the first 50 riders. I'll have a marker there to write your name on the bags so you can pick them up after the first lap.

Animal visits and horse rides might be available for non riding family members depending on the condition of the animals in the projected heat.

12:00 - 12:15 - The first lap should be completed and you can go for a spin at your leisure, or grab a sausage sandwich or do whatever you want.

It is going to be hot! Estimated finish time will be 4pm.

Bring sunscreen and plenty of water. You must also wear a helmet while riding, be on a bike that is in good functioning condition with working brakes, gears, wheels and steering. That should cover it.

Feel free to ask questions and/or pass this information on.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meet at Cheddington Lodge, opposite the car park at MPF, tomorrow for the opening. The building has a big sign on it saying "Cheddington Lodge". It is also one of the coolest places to be, temperature wise.