Mozilla - we used to be friends...

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
I've had it with firefox! The bloody thing will freeze on me about 3 or 4 times an hour - normally when I have my gmail account open. Seemed to start happening after the second latest update a few months. And mostly when I'm opening a hyperlink from an email in my gmail account. I'm running the following add-ons:

All in one-sidebar
ColorZilla
English(AUS) dictionary
Favicon Picker 3
FxIF
ImageZoom
Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant
Remember the Milk for Gmail
Trend Micro Toolbar

How can I restore my friendship with Firefox?

Last edited:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
how about turning off all your extensions and then working through them? Or post the question on the mozilla forum..

Matt H

Eats Squid
I've also been pissed of with firefox lately. It hate how it automatically updates itself, and for some reason it won't load facebook properly.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Google Chrome.
It loads WAY faster than IE and firefox.
Thus far the only site I've had problems with is the editor for Ebay listings.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Chrome isn't that great, I'd go back to Firefox but it'd be a massive pain with all my bookmarks and saved passwords etc. Chrome crashes all the time and it HATES facebook. I think the next version should be pretty sweet

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I know by responding to this thread i'm jinxing myself, but i've been using Safari for the past three years with no problems.

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
I've been using Seamonkey which is another Mozilla offshoot, mostly for testing. It seems ok, it is more like Netscape & has some developer options too.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
I've also been pissed of with firefox lately. It hate how it automatically updates itself, and for some reason it won't load facebook properly.
I've found this too. I have to open everything on there in a new tab to make it load.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
+ 1 for Firefox. I would uninstall Firefox and do a full clean out, then reinstall Firefox + any addons. Make sure you back up any data etc.

If you want to try Chrome(spyware) then maybe try Iron.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
i'm in the opposite boat. firefox is fantastic when you set it up properly.

i'm running the latest revision with these add-ons:
DownloadThemAll! - select stuff on a page and right click to download any content contained within the selection, links and all. or just right click and download everything on the page. great filtering options :D

Google Toolbar

New Tab Button Position - gives you the little plus button at the end of the tab row to add a new tab with one click :) similar to IE..

PDF Download

Having a low number of add-ons keeps things nice and simple.. i've never had it freeze up or die on me unless i was doing something stupid. it even handles the 6000 windows and tabs i usually have open.

i'd try for a clean install of firefox and see how you go. do you need all those add-ons? things like coloured tabs are a waste of time in my opinion..

that said, been trying out chrome again for a while and i have to say, yes, it's quick and smooth, but firefox is just as fast for me.. plus chrome renders things like crap on a bunch of major websites.

Last edited:

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Chrome isn't that great, I'd go back to Firefox but it'd be a massive pain with all my bookmarks and saved passwords etc. Chrome crashes all the time and it HATES facebook. I think the next version should be pretty sweet
When you install f/fox it should prompt you to import all your settings from another browser.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used firefox successfully for about 4 years, nothing at all went wrong. Then facebook stopped working on it so I simply had to get rid of it.

I'm using Chrome now and it's pretty cool. Facebook works, and that's all I care about.

S.

ex offender
I know by responding to this thread i'm jinxing myself, but i've been using Safari for the past three years with no problems.
That's all well and good, but a lot of us are into girls.

Anyway, I mainly use Chrome now. It's just a bit cleaner than Firefox, though I did find one site that doesn't format properly with Chrome (works fine with IE though). Had it crash a couple of times but it's not making a habit of it so no real issues.