Mr Beefy (Cotic BFe)

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool - except for the steerer business, we wouldn't want to see you with more broken bones from an untimely steerer failure ! it has me wondering could it be done better by using a suitable insert length of Al to epoxy bond a steerer extension. Prolly cheaper and easier to find a replacement CSU

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Scrolling through my threads looking for trading stuff I've forgotten to update (oops) and I thought Mr beefy needed a quick update.

He's had a couple of changes now, lyriks for better trail manners, dhf/dhr tyre combo for maxxx endurobro grip, black crankset because I found black ones cheap, xt levers on those same magura calipers, cheap rad looking mudguard, Reddy grips to match the hubs, and most importantly a new seat in red/black because it offended @fatboyonabike having the blue one there

Heaps fun bike to ride. Not as fast as most which I definitely notice if I'm out with quicker riders, but buckets of fun if I'm riding with slower peeps.

So far so good with the rust too, clear seems to have stopped it

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Scrolling through my threads looking for trading stuff I've forgotten to update (oops) and I thought Mr beefy needed a quick update.

He's had a couple of changes now, lyriks for better trail manners, dhf/dhr tyre combo for maxxx endurobro grip, black crankset because I found black ones cheap, xt levers on those same magura calipers, cheap rad looking mudguard, Reddy grips to match the hubs, and most importantly a new seat in red/black because it offended @fatboyonabike having the blue one there

Heaps fun bike to ride. Not as fast as most which I definitely notice if I'm out with quicker riders, but buckets of fun if I'm riding with slower peeps.

So far so good with the rust too, clear seems to have stopped it

wrong shade of red, but looks better than that blue one
looks like fun.:D

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Hey @Plankosaurus I'm looking at a BFe this weekend and was thinking of upgrading the fox talas with a regular tapered steer fork. You mentioned earlier it couldn't be done is that because there isn't an external lower headset cup and bearing for this size steer tube?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Hey @Plankosaurus I'm looking at a BFe this weekend and was thinking of upgrading the fox talas with a regular tapered steer fork. You mentioned earlier it couldn't be done is that because there isn't an external lower headset cup and bearing for this size steer tube?
very early models used a smaller diam tube, they changed to 44mm head tube to take external cup afaik -just measure it when looking

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
external cup is for Straight 1-1/8 steerer , stuck with it, no options except straight steerer :(
internal cup bearings designed for 1-1/8 can be retrofitted with and external shell pressed into the cup to run 1.5 tapered steerer :D

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yup, as dan says, will depend on the model.

Mine is a later model, 44mm I'd head tube so can run tapered forks.

The one I got for wifey is older, only takes straight steerer

Got a photo? Shouldn't be hard to identify

Litenbror

Eats Squid
external cup is for Straight 1-1/8 steerer , stuck with it, no options except straight steerer :(
internal cup bearings designed for 1-1/8 can be retrofitted with and external shell pressed into the cup to run 1.5 tapered steerer :D
So of it has an external cup then I'm stuck with 1-1/8? From the pic I have seen it has an external bottom cup.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yup, as dan says, will depend on the model.

Mine is a later model, 44mm I'd head tube so can run tapered forks.

The one I got for wifey is older, only takes straight steerer

Got a photo? Shouldn't be hard to identify

Apologies for the quality but hopefully enough detail to work it out.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That is harder to tell than I thought it would be

Looks skinnier than a normal 1 1/8 external lower cup, usually they sit a bit outboard of the head tube. I can give you a measurement for both if you take your verniers?

I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker if it's 1 1/8 though, still a rad bike either way

Litenbror

Eats Squid
That is harder to tell than I thought it would be

Looks skinnier than a normal 1 1/8 external lower cup, usually they sit a bit outboard of the head tube. I can give you a measurement for both if you take your verniers?

I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker if it's 1 1/8 though, still a rad bike either way

If you could get me a measurement that would be great. Also don't think it would be a deal breaker but if possible I would like to get a modern 27.5 fork on the front.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Just had a look at the nukeproof headset chart and it looks like the bottom cup in the photo is for a 34mm head tube. If that's the case then no joy with tapered steer forks.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Litenbror - hope this clears it up for you...

Edit - also worth noting that the seat post is 30.9 on the older one and 31.6 on the newer one. Could be an easy enough question to ask without visiting?

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So wifeys bfe (Mrs beefy?) Is now up and running. Some niggles still but I'm sure it won't get used so won't be a problem

Cotic bfe (early 1 1/8 steerer version)
Rs lyrik forks (early U-turn coil, converted to air, 145mm travel)
Stans arch on hope pro2 Evo
Xt 10speed drive
Race face atlas cranks
Blackspire big slim pedals
Ollllld xt 4pot calipers with more modern deore levers
Ks lev 125mm dropper

Feels great on the up the street and back test, should be a hoot to ride if it gets some use

Litenbror

Eats Squid
@Litenbror - hope this clears it up for you...

Edit - also worth noting that the seat post is 30.9 on the older one and 31.6 on the newer one. Could be an easy enough question to ask without visiting?
Thanks mate good call on the seat tube diameter I might call him to confirm which one it is.