Mr Dirt chain guide...any good?

junek

Likes Dirt
howdy,
well im doing away with the 2 chain ring thing and going for a single ring with a guide.
Im looking at the MrDirt Gizmo MkIII chain guide. Has anyone had any experience with this product?
Also, there are 2 sizes... one 36 to 40 teeth and one for 42 to 46 teeth. What size is more suitabe for general downhilling. I ride around Sydney, would 42 teeth be too big for sydney / central coast tracks?

thanks
jamie

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
junek said:
howdy,
well im doing away with the 2 chain ring thing and going for a single ring with a guide.
Im looking at the MrDirt Gizmo MkIII chain guide. Has anyone had any experience with this product?
Also, there are 2 sizes... one 36 to 40 teeth and one for 42 to 46 teeth. What size is more suitabe for general downhilling. I ride around Sydney, would 42 teeth be too big for sydney / central coast tracks?

thanks
jamie
My mate has one on his bike. Similar in design to an e13 minus the plastic bash guard. A little bit more noisey then an e13 though. Still, good design IMO

I use a 40 tooth around sydney and rairly run out of gears, only on tracks like thredbo is it a problem.

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
mr dirt gizmo aare overpriced in my opinion
buy an areal guide for half the money, support an ozzie company and never have ur chain come off.
mine stayed on for the last two years of riding and racing
cheers

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
daddyrat said:
mr dirt gizmo aare overpriced in my opinion
buy an areal guide for half the money, support an ozzie company and never have ur chain come off.
mine stayed on for the last two years of riding and racing
cheers
Hmmm...... i'm all for supporting aussie but they copied a bad design.

The blackspire/aireal guides are crap IMO. I had a blackspire and my mate had the aireal and we were always dropping chains no matter how we set them up. Bought e13's and never droped a chain again.

Aireal should ditch the design and go with an e13/mr dirt/mrp type design.

udi

swiss cheese
The last MrDirt Gizmo I tried sounded like a blender full of rocks.
Really didn't entertain my fancy at all.

I would stick with the big names, as they are simply a better product.
MRP's are the quietest thing going (quieter than e13's anyday), and are also around 100g+ lighter than the e13 that matches it. And on the other hand the e13's are tough, have an excellent bashguard, and are still reasonably quiet.

Pick whichever of those best suits your needs - for me personally it'd be one of them or nothing.

junek

Likes Dirt
thanks guys,
i think i'll start looking at one of the bigger names. I hate noisy bikes, so MRP sounds good (no pun intended :D )
jamie

udi

swiss cheese
I'd suggest an MRP System3.
You'll need the ISCG adaptor if your frame doesnt have ISCG mounts.
http://www.fortheriders.com/601.html

Make sure you get that style, and not the ones with the plastic fusion bashguard, they aren't as strong. The 5mm aluminium bashguard is the go.