Mt Annan rides

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
The trail is "okay" - Certainly a step in the right direction at least.

I'll admit straight up that I'm not the best rider, I have read posts of others (the builder, I think) claiming that the whole track can be railed with ease by better riders (specifically some of those very tight corners and berms) - I do not doubt that this is possible. But who is the target demographic here? Methinks being in a botanic garden, you would be looking to attract families or those who aren't necessarily experienced in MTB/equal or less experience than myself. If I had trouble, I'm sure they would.

Some parts could certainly use a bit of fiddling with, as others have mentioned there does not seem to be that "flow" that you get. I suppose considering the trail is very new and not really bedding in yet, this is to be expected... However, there just seem to be a few tight parts and some really out of place features that I don't think any amount of bedding in will fix.

I agree that the design does not really allow you to enjoy yourself too much going downhill, so it also felt (to me at least), that I did more climbing than anything else. And it wasn't technical or exciting climbing, it was boring, drone-like climbing. Sort of like climbing switchbacks on the side of someone's farm, that isn't really a mountain bike track. Some of the features really just seemed to be almost thoughtlessly "thrown in" later down the track, especially some of those big log rollovers near the huge 180 degree berm, and then the 2 or 3 small rockgardens (uphill..?) after the big berm. Lovely berm, but it's completely pointless without a decent run in/run out. There were multiple other areas which just left me thinking "what the hell".

I really did like the downhill line approx 2/3 of the way through the loop and the dense/shaded part. Ermm.. wish I could say I liked other parts too?? But can't think of any.

I only did one lap as I was really not inspired to do another. I guess I have to admit that I did leave disappointed, and had to drive to Yellowmundee to get my fix. Would I go back? Certainly - But I won't be jumping out of bed excitedly and riding it by myself again, I think I'd only go with a group next time. I don't really think it's worth the $9 either, at least in its current state. I might pay the $9 if I brought the girlfriend along and had a BBQ after a ride to get a bit more value out of it. I've never been to Mt Annan Botanic Gardens but after doing a lap or two around the place in my car, I really can't see the value in the $9 but anyways. I must say I did not have much of a look, so can't really comment much here.

Why is it that they have designed the track so that you have to ride the "competent" loop before you get to the "intermediate" loop? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, and yes, the magpies are still out :p

I am not trying to be negative, though unfortunately it seems my post has naturally come out this way to some degree. I hope it comes across as feedback and/or constructive critism from the eyes of an average/typical once-or-twice-a week rider. I will finish by saying that it is great to see legal and sustainable trails popping up in our area and encouraging others to get into our sport. But I do think the track has a bit of a way yet, in terms of development.

Last edited:
Probably should not have done so, but during the week, I did the loops backwards, it was actually a bit better, especially the blue loop.

mtb1611

Seymour
Some of the features really just seemed to be almost thoughtlessly "thrown in" later down the track, especially some of those big log rollovers near the huge 180 degree berm, and then the 2 or 3 small rockgardens (uphill..?) after the big berm. Lovely berm, but it's completely pointless without a decent run in/run out. There were multiple other areas which just left me thinking "what the hell".
Dunno if you read my posts earlier in this thread but my sentiments are on par with yours. Some of the "features" aren't features at all in my opinion; they're merely hindrances to an average track becoming "(just) above average".

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Dunno if you read my posts earlier in this thread but my sentiments are on par with yours. Some of the "features" aren't features at all in my opinion; they're merely hindrances to an average track becoming "(just) above average".
Yeah, I read your post..... Oh well, always room for improvement I suppose.

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Went for my first spin around both loops today, twice on the competent and once for the intermediate. Only once 'cos of the Magpie from Hell. Try as I might to appreciate its skillful flight pattern and nest protection, I just wanted to kill the bastard! I've never experienced such an aggressive bird.

As to the track, I was a little underwhelmed. The few technical sections were fun, and the gully crossings were great. The relentless, tight, off-camber switchbacks were numbing though. A couple of the berms were incredibly tight, and I just couldn't get a flow going. Maybe it's my riding!

Wanted to check it out to take my son down there, but it's too much of a grind.

So many of the corners seem to be reducing radius type, meaning you can't accelerate out very well.

As to comments about the entry fee, why not park outside and go in for the $2.50 cyclist fee?

Rant over.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it's riding a lot better. Not so much small chatter stuff. Lines have been pretty well established.

metrics

Likes Bikes
Was out there today. The green "Intermediate" track is nicely bedded in, most of the sand is gone. It's getting better.

The black "Advanced" track however is still sandy. Some of it is improved but I suspect it's not being ridden as much because...

...the magpies are still there. Right at the end of the the advanced trail, when you are getting close to the intermediate trail berms, there is a magpie still swooping. Got me a couple of times, can't believe they are still there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's disappointing. There weren't any magpies three or four weeks ago. I'm heading out there tomorrow, riding from Camden to do a lap or two and then back. I might try and ride in the middle of the group!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No magpie today and the track is riding in very nicely. Apparently there is now a group of employees at the Botanic Garden that now get out for rides too.

Has anyone done the second loop recently and can give a magpie update?? I was there today and yesterday but only did the first loop as I couldn't be bothered getting hammered lol. Also has anyone seen the red belly black that basks on the road just as you ride through the main gates to the garden and you hook around to the right about 30m from the gate there is a garden on the inside on the road..He is regularly up against the rocks here basking on the road so be careful not to run the little fellow over!

Cronar

Likes Dirt
THE BASTARDS ARE STILL THERE!
I went out for the first time this morning and loved the track, sure, some bits could be improved but overall it's great. I got 3 magpie free laps then on the 4th BAM, crazy bastards, there's 2 of them working as a team! They didn't chase me for long and the attack only lasted about 20 seconds, so maybe they're calming down.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol. I haven't seen them the last few times I've been there. I do try to make sure I'm in front though, just in case!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Rode this track for the first time on Tuesday - was a nice change from most of the northern suburbs riding i've been doing. Track's not bad but does seem to lack a bit of flow. I need to work on my berm technique, but some did seem pretty tight!

Magpie is still there on the blue track. I got a heads up (no pun intended) from the park ranger when i paid for my parking.. still, doesn't make it any better.

Councils are normally fairly quick to remove aggressive magpies.. what's the reasoning for not doing so at Mt Annan? They've even called that section of the track 'magpie' if i'm not mistaken..

metrics

Likes Bikes
I've asked the gardens on the Facebook forum about the magpie and they said that all wildlife was protected in the gardens. I asked what they would do when they hold the first event in March, and they are just going its gone by then.