mt beauty

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
hey dudes im going to mt beauty for new years and im stayig at a family friends place and they told me its at the bottom of the survey track, i thought if its any good i could get up there and ride it afew times without needing a lift to the dh track, any one ridden it? whats it like? btw im on my hardtail, :)

cluster

Likes Dirt
The survey track is perfect for a hardtail - it's pretty much all fast, smooth flowing downhill for a few km's :) - at the start theres some little switchbacks and stuff. Also has (from memory) one or two bank rides along the way.
To get there you can ride up the track i s'pose, or you could ride up the road to the big roundabout, and turn LEFT onto the dirt (that's the start of the track). I reckon the road would be easier by far. :rolleyes:
Definitely well worth the effort getting there, it's great fun!!!

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are at the bottom of the survey track you will be near the road that leads to falls creek. Ride up this road until you get to 'Cranky Charlie'. There is a small carpark here and a fire-road that leads to the main DH tracks. I tried to find the DH tracks but gave up because i couldn't get a shuttle and it wasn't signposted(i could see some tracks off to the side but where not sure what tracks they were(XC or DH))

The survey track is an easy Cross country track that is downhill most of the way except a couple of small climbs which are fine on a Hardtail. Be carefull when riding this track as it is a walking track as well.

Hope that helps.

dl79

Likes Dirt
You can buy a trail map from the bike shop next door to the caravan park for about $2. It has heaps of tracks xc and DH marked on it. The DH trails do have numbered markers but without the map the markers don't make much sense.

Cheers

Dave

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
oh k sweet as, thanks for that guys. is there any trails up at falls i hear the chair lifts will b running while im over there? do i dare take on the dh tracks on the hardtail? (kona five-0)

woody 14

Eats Squid
dh'ing on a hard tail is great fun. i do it for A) something different and B) its a great way to train and find smooth lines.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
oh k sweet as, thanks for that guys. is there any trails up at falls i hear the chair lifts will b running while im over there? do i dare take on the dh tracks on the hardtail? (kona five-0)
From what I have heard you will have no problems on a HT at Falls Creek the mt Beauty bike shop would have more info on it to.

tard

Cannon Fodder
Trails to hit at beauty

We are from sa and wondering what tracks to hit. Anyone riding from 8th to 11th December?
Cheers jade

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
yeah i usually dh on the ht but just didnt know how hard the mt beauty track would be. . . thanks guys.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go up falls creek Rd for 5kms until cranky charlie (big right hand corner cut around ridge then turn right around on yourself and go up the dirt road. Keep following this until it starts heading downhill where you veer left up the hill. After a little while there will be a 4wd track on the left. Up that about 100m is where all the DH short course tracks are.

The track starting with the drop across the road is an old nationals course and also the end of the big hill course, its not too tech but really fun and flowy.

Keep riding down the fire road on the ridge and turn left onto singletrack and you're on the current short course track, this track is pretty rutted, rocky and steep. Perfectly doable on anything but just take your time. Careful of the chute at the end if you're on a hardtail.

If you dont take the 4wd track to the top of the short course you can continue up the road for a long while until you reach a platform basically and a gate. Ride around the gate and continue along the road until you see Big hill dh track drop off to the left. This is doable for anyone also, long fun and fast.

There are a few other minor trails you can ride off the short course hill. It's basically a case of all roads lead to Rome.

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
And for Big Hill directions click here
Go up falls creek Rd for 5kms until cranky charlie (big right hand corner cut around ridge then turn right around on yourself and go up the dirt road. Keep following this until it starts heading downhill where you veer left up the hill. After a little while there will be a 4wd track on the left. Up that about 100m is where all the DH short course tracks are.

The track starting with the drop across the road is an old nationals course and also the end of the big hill course, its not too tech but really fun and flowy.

Keep riding down the fire road on the ridge and turn left onto singletrack and you're on the current short course track, this track is pretty rutted, rocky and steep. Perfectly doable on anything but just take your time. Careful of the chute at the end if you're on a hardtail.

If you dont take the 4wd track to the top of the short course you can continue up the road for a long while until you reach a platform basically and a gate. Ride around the gate and continue along the road until you see Big hill dh track drop off to the left. This is doable for anyone also, long fun and fast.

There are a few other minor trails you can ride off the short course hill. It's basically a case of all roads lead to Rome.

its responses like this that make me love this forum, thanks u very much lads, thats directions! cant wait to get up there and ride it now, once again thankyou ! :)

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
from what i understand man its the road off cranky charlie big hill drops in from the left and the short coarse goes through to the right.

nick666

Likes Bikes
where is the short course from the big hill track?
Short course starts where the nationals dh track started in 08. But instead of going straight, go to your right down the track. Its marked so its not hard to find. It then drops down on to the road, go over the road and go to the left track, it is signed dh track 2. Again not hard to find.

pashy

Likes Bikes
Short course starts where the nationals dh track started in 08. But instead of going straight, go to your right down the track. Its marked so its not hard to find. It then drops down on to the road, go over the road and go to the left track, it is signed dh track 2. Again not hard to find.
it go's down the 02 nat's for a while and then turn's off on to an other track which as been fixed up lately and then joins back onto the Bighill track as it comes out of the trees.As of Monday the bottom section has been changed so there is better spectator access and gets away from the usual rutted track. In this section you turn off after the table top then around some corners then off a 4 ft drop off then finishes on the road.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
it go's down the 02 nat's for a while and then turn's off on to an other track which as been fixed up lately and then joins back onto the Bighill track as it comes out of the trees.As of Monday the bottom section has been changed so there is better spectator access and gets away from the usual rutted track. In this section you turn off after the table top then around some corners then off a 4 ft drop off then finishes on the road.
The new bottom section is great fast and driffty with just the right amount of little holes and lumps good fun. The work to the top stection is nice to has made if flow realy well now. Another great Beauty track f all pedaling. Its always a good time at Beauty so make shore you are all part of it.
Cheers to Matt and the other that I dont know on the work.

Jeremy has post up a run from sunday in phat vids with the new bottom section.

Last edited: