Mt Buller - All you need to know

Spook

Cannon Fodder
Is buller going to be race-able due to the fires?
That will completly depend on what damage we recieve! If the chairlift survies then i'm sure we can still open and run a race but if the chair is damaged then it's shut down! At this stage it doesn't look good to open on time either as the maintaince needed on the chair has been halted due to the fire threat. So lets just hope the fire stops before us or happens soon so we can move on.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That will completly depend on what damage we recieve! If the chairlift survies then i'm sure we can still open and run a race but if the chair is damaged then it's shut down! At this stage it doesn't look good to open on time either as the maintaince needed on the chair has been halted due to the fire threat. So lets just hope the fire stops before us or happens soon so we can move on.
Let me be another to say "Welcome to Farkin" Spook. It's good to see some real locals popping their heads up round here.
I have heard the track is looking pretty good up there with all the work that has been done. Lets just hope you get through the next 48hrs without Horse Hill being heat or fire damaged, if that happens I am led to believe it could be a while before a new lift cable can be fitted. I heard someone had voluntered to go and turn the lift on when the fire starts getting close, if it actually does.

Last edited:

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't be suprised if track openings don't go ahead if the fires burn the area out. The ground will be very very vulnerable to erosion and permanent damage for the season if the fires hit it. Environmental authorities may have to shut down riding for the summer (worst case scenario).

latest updates:

News Headlines
10:30am – Mt Buller is currently surrounded by three main fires – the Tolmie fires to the north, the Jamieson and Governors fires (which joined over night as expected) to the south, and the fires on Mt Stirling to the east.

While all of these fires have remained fairly static overnight and continue to move slowly, weather conditions are expected to change later today and a strong north-north easterly wind is expected to set in.

The northerly wind will act to fuel the Tolmie fires. Containment work is currently being conducted to the south of Tolmie to prevent or slow the progress of the front moving towards Merrijig, Sawmill Settlement, Mirimbah and Mt Buller.

The fire on Mt Stirling has crossed the Circuit Road and is nearly at the Bindaree Track. This fire has not got far to go until it is out of vegetation to burn. Fire authorities believe that this fire will soon burn itself out, so it is not of major concern to Mt Buller at this stage.

The Governors fire that joined with the Jamieson fire overnight has not yet crossed the Howqua River. While it is moving slowly at present and containment work in the area continues, it may be fuelled by the southerly change that is forecast for later in the week.

-------------------------------

Mansfield Fire Complex

The Mansfield complex is estimated to have burnt 35,400ha and includes the Mt. Teribble and Governors fires.

The fire has progressed to approximately 1-2 km sough of Moonlight Spur between Ryan Spur Track & Knockwood but has made a bigger run of approximately 3-4 km South East of Snake Edwards Divide between Knockwood and Mt Skene. North East crews will continue to brush up fall back lines to the north of ERica-Noojee Complex overnight.

Residents within the following areas need to activate their fire plans, remain vigilant and stay alert for threat messages that may be issued:

* Gaffneys Creek
* A1 Mine settlement
* Burns Bridge
* Kevington
* Sawmill Settlement
* Timber Top and
* Barragunda

Assets in the Howqua Hills area near Sheepyard Track and Howqua River Road remain under threat. It is expected that this fire will join up with Mt. Terrible. Residents in surrounding areas need to activate their fire plans and remain vigilant as, depending on weather conditions,they may be threatened by this fire over the next 24-48 hours.
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au

I have been posting previous news/cfa updates along with forestry/firefighting mates updates here:
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=70909&page=3
but will now post them here if people are still interested.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am sure myself and many others are still interested in the fire status at buller! I know my summer holiday plans depend on it.

Thanks for the updates simo

Turley

Last edited:

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not looking flash today:

Road to Falls is shut.
Fire across the road near Bogong village.

Bairnsdale is under ember attack with spot fires starting, highly vulnerable atm.

map:
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/images/news_image/web_sentinel_map_2006_12_14_0545_11865.jpg

----------------------

Mansfield Fire Complex

The Mansfield complex is estimated to have burnt 85,000ha and includes the Mt. Teribble and Governors fires. Residents in the following areas need to remain vigilant and implement their fire plans:

* Kevington
* Gaffney's Creek
* A1 Mine Settlement
* Burns Bridge

Residents in Glencairn are advised that the fire is still burning in this area andthey must continue to be vigilant if they choose to stay.

Today's forecasted northwesterly winds are expected to push the Mt Terrible fire in a southerly direction and residents within the following areas need to activate their fire plans, remain vigilant and stay alert for threat messages that may be issued:

* Jamieson district
* Sawmill Settlement
* Timber Top and
* Barragunda
* Merrijig
* Mirimbah
* Mt Buller
* Woods Point
* Matlock and surrounds

Wind is also expected to push the Governors/Low Saddle fire in a northerly direction, threatening assets in the Howqua Hills area near Sheepyard Flats. DSE and CFA advise residents in these areas thatthe fire may threaten assets in the Howqua River Road area in the next 24-48 hours depending on weather conditions. Residents need to activate their fire plans and continue to be vigilant if they choose to stay.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au
----------

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
buller now has active fires to the North, East and South...
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/images/news_image/web_sentinel_map_2006_12_18_1118_11989.jpg
Prediction map up untill December 22nd (issue on the 16th, getting a bit old).

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/F5D597F26F09AC98CA2572460078D729/$File/Potential_Fire_Impact_Prediction_Map_z55_a3_20061217_0100.pdf

Firefront is predicted to reach Dinner Plain (near Mt Hotham for those that don't know) on christmass day with containment lines having been dozed.

and some of our Kiwi helpers have been copping it, all the best to them.
New Zealand firefighters
An incident occurred in the Mount Terrible sector of the large fires currently affecting North-Eastern Victoria, Australia at 2.30pm on Saturday 16th Dec. The incident involved 40 of the 47 strong contingent of New Zealand firefighters who are currently in Australia assisting the massive firefighting effort.

While fighting the main fire, on Steiners Road in the Howqua Valley, 30 kilometres South East of Mansfield in north-east Victoria, the NZ crews observed an ember-caused spot fire across the road from the main fire. They attempted to restrict the spread of this fire by creating a trail around it with hand tools. While involved in this work, they became aware that the main fire had increased in intensity, so they took evasive action. Nine of the firefighters made a decision that they could not escape the fire and sought refuge as they had been trained to do.

Six of the firefighters were affected by burns and smoke inhalation and were admitted to hospital. Three remain in hospital in Melbourne, one in hospital in Wangaratta, one at Mansfield hospital and one has been released.

The remaining New Zealand firefighters have returned to fire duty today.

Bulldozer Accident
An incident occurred 16 km east of Dargo around midday on 17 December when a contract bulldozer rolled over injuring the operator. The operator was airlifted to hospital.

Immediate relatives of the firefighters and bulldozer operator have been contacted.

Last edited:

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not looking too good is it, i just got an email back from buller info and they too have no idea when they will be opening the trails.

best wishes to the firefighters

Cronar

Likes Dirt
I just found this on ski.com.au

http://www.ski.com.au/scripts/admin/news/vnews.pl?ad=-101177-&year=2006

"Mt Buller summer operations deferred

The commencement of Mt Buller’s summer operations has been deferred due to bushfires. This includes all mountain biking activities.
Operations will be reviewed in the New Year and a commencement date will be published on www.mtbuller.com.au - when the bushfires abate. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mt Buller in 2007."

Bad news!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
management were trying to hold off on that decision for the alst few days but the forecast pretty much forced them to show a hand.

Latest Buller Fire Update @ 10:15AM
http://www.mtbuller.com.au/scripts/admin/news/vnews.pl?ad=-100175-&year=2006

Summary
- more fire activity overnight than expected with variable winds advancing the fire front surrounding Mt Buller.
- fire to the south of Mt Buller crossed the Howqua River at Howqua Hills and is now within 1km of Three Chain Road
- The fires to the north of Mt Buller also progressed slowly, now located within 2km of Mirimbah. It has crossed the No. 3 Track at Clear Hills and fire crews are now considering further containment lines in the Delatite Valley.
- The fires on Mt Stirling to the east of Mt Buller have crossed the Stirling Track and are on the back of the summit, traveling out of Dugout and Stanley Creek.

The fires to the north and east of Mt Buller have affected a number of public shelters. Some have burnt down, while others are still standing:

- Advancing fires have come close to GGS Hut but it is still untouched
- It is unknown whether Panic and Creek Huts are still standing although it is doubtful that they have survived the fires
- Craig’s Hut and Bus Hut have burnt down
- Bluff Spur Memorial Hut is still unaffected by fires

taken at the bottom of Goal Post Road at Buller, looking across the Delatite.
http://darb.net/anonymous/PHOT0014

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just found this on ski.com.au

http://www.ski.com.au/scripts/admin/news/vnews.pl?ad=-101177-&year=2006

"Mt Buller summer operations deferred

The commencement of Mt Buller’s summer operations has been deferred due to bushfires. This includes all mountain biking activities.
Operations will be reviewed in the New Year and a commencement date will be published on www.mtbuller.com.au - when the bushfires abate. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mt Buller in 2007."

Bad news!
time to go jump off that cliff.........without my bike of course hahaha

thanks for letting us know what the decision was, as depressing as it is, what else are they meant to do i guess.
im going to go cry now :(

keep it up fire'ies

Samy

Likes Dirt
Holy Shit.

Best wishes to everyone invloved, may good luck continue to be on your side.

Bring on the Christmas rain.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spot fires on lower elevations of Mt Buller
9:00am – Fires continue to close in on Mt Buller as the Resort is buffeted by strong north-north easterly winds. Spot fires have now reached the lower elevations of Mt Buller on its northern side and are continuing to occur on both sides of the lower stages Mt Buller Tourist Road.
As such, the Mt Buller Tourist Road remains closed to anyone but emergency vehicles and will remain this way until the fire threat has passed.

buller website reports fires at chain fitting bay #1

lots of recent hot spot occurances.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rain abates Buller’s fire threat

Good news!!!

10:15pm – Fires advanced on the northern side of Mt Buller today, making their way up Mt Buller Creek behind McLaughlins Shoulder. However, rain arrived this evening and up to 10mm has already fallen, considerably lowering Mt Buller’s fire threat.

These fires are now burning with very low intensity, assisted by the lushness of vegetation in the area, and the Resort has stepped down from amber alert.

Toady’s fires caused trees to fall over the Mt Buller Tourist Road and authorities are now working to clear them. When these trees have been cleared, police will consider re-opening the road to residents.

There will be a community meeting at 9:00am tomorrow morning (Saturday) at the Mt Buller Chalet, after which there will be no further meetings until Mt Buller’s fire risk alters.

For further information about the status of the Mt Buller Tourist Road or the Resort’s fire situation, please call Resort Management on (03) 5777 6077. For the latest details about the fires contact the bushfire hotline on 1800 240 667 or visit the CFA or DSE websites:

www.cfa.vic.gov.au
www.dse.vic.gov.au

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Good news!!!

10:15pm – Fires advanced on the northern side of Mt Buller today, making their way up Mt Buller Creek behind McLaughlins Shoulder. However, rain arrived this evening and up to 10mm has already fallen, considerably lowering Mt Buller’s fire threat.

These fires are now burning with very low intensity, assisted by the lushness of vegetation in the area, and the Resort has stepped down from amber alert.

Toady’s fires caused trees to fall over the Mt Buller Tourist Road and authorities are now working to clear them. When these trees have been cleared, police will consider re-opening the road to residents.

There will be a community meeting at 9:00am tomorrow morning (Saturday) at the Mt Buller Chalet, after which there will be no further meetings until Mt Buller’s fire risk alters.

For further information about the status of the Mt Buller Tourist Road or the Resort’s fire situation, please call Resort Management on (03) 5777 6077. For the latest details about the fires contact the bushfire hotline on 1800 240 667 or visit the CFA or DSE websites:

www.cfa.vic.gov.au
www.dse.vic.gov.au
Awesome news...

Hopefully this rain continues as forecast and has a significant effect on these fires...

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that really is awesome news guyz, we copped alot of rain down here in melb. as well, it was unbelievable, i was just praying that mt buller got it all too and sounds like they did!

hopefully they didnt get the lightning we did, COS DAMN! that was farkin scary, i swear 2 hit next door neighbours cos my house was shaking!

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Any one know of further updates on the fire situation? I's still raining here in the City. Has been for almost 3 days now. How much got to Buller?