Mt buller big let down...?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
as far as i know nothing is happening with stirling shuttles, mirimbah store is running a shuttle to buller at the moment till easter( maybe up till anzac weekend ) if there is some interest.........but if there is some interest in stirling shuttles for next year this may be possible....but such a shuttle would be more expersive to run than our current shuttle ...?? what is the market prepared to pay for such a service and how many people are really looking for such a service????? if its worth it we will look at it and build a suitable trailer for such. drop us a line www.mirimbah.com.au or dropp in and have a chat
one of the local guys was looking at doing shuttles at $20 a head for stirling. I cant remember his name of the top off my head though. Was a buller/mansfield guy in his late 30s? deals more with the snow, but hes a super nice guy.

doin

Likes Bikes
I think there needs to be a change of focus here. There's alot of people talking about how we need harder tracks to develop juniors for racing, etc, but do we really think Buller gives a crap about developing racing talent? Do you think Whistler thinks the same? They are only going to build new tracks if they can see a return on their investment, and tracks that are fun for all abilities are the best bet at providing this. Several lift accessed tracks with lots of berms and tables where there are not huge consequences for crashing may encourage more people to give downhilling a go, and while these tracks will not be the best race courses, maybe they can come later.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After i rode whislter for a season, I dont think many trails at whistler are much harder than international. a few are slightly... but really, because of liability, you have to venture away from a commercial resort to hit up true double blacks.

that said, i would pay more for buller if it had a beginner track that was properly built so that it is fun for everyone. Im not talking a dirt road, im talking a 1-2m wide, bermed, smooth ish, not too steep track with numerous tabletop jumps, most with a long side and a short side flagged. some of my most fun runs in whistler were riding down the blue runs racing mates, because theyre more like riding a 4x track than anything, and were great for practicing cornering at speed taking different lines through berms. this, is the style of track that is awesome fun for both beginners and experts.

having a track like that would also alleviate the huge amount of traffic (resulting in huge wear and ruts) on abom.
I also spent some time in Canada and what blew me away was just the amount of well built trails, you spend the whole weekend riding at a resort and you just can't wipe the smile off your face. At Mt Buller i go once or twice a season and i'm always bored/fatigued by lunchtime. I don't find the trails there too hard i can ride both tracks at pace, but you can't deny that it is hard on the body.

Easier trails are still a lot of fun to ride when you are an advanced rider, you just go faster or play with features, jump off some rocks, rail corners, wheelie etc.. These types of trails hold up so much better because they don't have high speed straights into sharp corners = braking bumps, or steeps into difficult corners = chewed out bomb holes... Flowing trails where your speed is regulated by corners and features and you don't need to brake. I realize these types of tracks with big berms and tabletops take a lot of dirt and shovel time/excavator but look at the features at the You Yangs they have made some excellent berms ( although i think those stupid planted rock gardens should go and you'd have such a nice hardtail trail).

There is a place for the gnarly punishing tracks, i don't want everything to be easy, but i've never laughed and yelled in joy like i did at Silverstar neck deep in berm after berm passing friends over tabletops...

ohh and a monster wallride always puts a smile on the face...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Silverstar sounds divine! would be awesome for that to happen, but its not about to... i have to wait a few years to experience that kinda thing.

doin

Likes Bikes
^^Yeah, what Kalem said.
All the the most fun tracks I've ever ridden have been smooth and flowy with massive berms and tabletop jumps. Gnarlier tracks may give a bigger 'rush', but for pure fun factor in my opinion you can't beat the smoother tracks with jumps and drops that are safe. I think commercial resort operators also would feel better about building these sort of tracks.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see trails in Australia like Silverstar, Kicking Horse, etc for many years to come. It's really only been in the last few years that ski resorts here have even begun to invest in building half decent terrain parks in the snow, some have been better than others. We're about 10 years behind North America in that regard, hopefully we won't be that far behind with mtb parks as well!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i know it's not going to happen in a hurry, DH track locations are hard to come across and getting just one track built is a massive task so it's gonna have to be a 'mans track' obviously. That's fine by me, but when you are talking about Mount Buller it is supremely frustrating seeing how much potential you have there. The environmental application stuff seems a bit of a joke, don't get me wrong i love alpine flora, but have you seen the bulldozed ski runs!! A MTB trail can weave through most vegetation and with proper trail building has minimal effect on the flora/fauna.

Arghhh that mountain could be so could and hope it is one day, but i've ridden those same trails since 1999!

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm all for trails like A Line, Dirt Merchant etc. I've said it before - those two trails were the most fun I've ever had with my pants on. BUT, as doin said, at best it's years away. At worst, it's never gonna happen. There's way too much red tape/cost involved. There are environmental concerns and then obviously the cost of all the excavation etc. Given the level of investment to date, I just don't see it ever happening.

S.

ex offender
But you do get a season pass for helping ...

Yeah, if you help for a week or more, otherwise it's just day passes - I can earn the money for a season pass in roughly two days of "real" work without having the expenses of traveling to Buller, accommodation and food in addition to working for the equivalent of $5.87 (assuming an 8 hour day) per hour. Or I could do trail days at places where you're actually able to build new stuff, make real jumps, create scarily difficult sections etc, and not have to pay to use it. What makes sense about helping other than being able to say you helped? Abom is no smoother than it was, and International sadly is even easier than ever - that used to be a real fire-breather but now seriously anyone can ride it with no problems. All the truly hard stuff has gone.

Has your pay gone up in the last 5 years? Everything goes up.

Not by 100% it hasn't!

Would it though? Is the market here big enough?
I think so, even insofar as getting return customers. Like I said, I'd go there heaps more if there was more/new stuff to ride. Instead we get more rock armouring on Abom (great for erosion but not much fun to ride on), more wood covering the hard-to-ride stuff on Int'l, filled in rock sections on Int'l to make them easier than before, widened lines that mean anyone can ride it fast, and so forth. Where Buller used to represent awesome value and tracks that were genuinely fun and challenging, it's now double the price and with deteriorating tracks. Sorry for being a whinger and I am aware of the economic crisis at the moment, but if I'm paying nearly 50 bucks a day to ride then it better actually offer something to make it worthwhile. Like you say, they're not a charity (in either direction - they don't give us free stuff, and we don't give them our money for nothing either). I'm happy to pay a bit of a premium for the fact that it has a chairlift which gets you up the hill fast, but seriously - "build it and they will come" is the applicable phrase here, not "charge twice as much for less riding and they will come". If they want to actually turn a real profit from MTBing (I wouldn't be surprised if they're operating at a loss at the moment) they do really need to actually invest some money in it first. Every year they promise big things for "next year" but so far they haven't ever delivered. It's just getting stale.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
I went to buller and had a great time, the chairlift was great, and tracks were good except for a few things like how blown out the corners were, but thats to be expected. I would rather the track being blown out then rock armouring which wasn't that grea to ride, I also think another track for the people who are new would be great, because it was mayhem trying to ride Abom and the other trails with a family up for the day trip strewn everywhere, it would also lead to less breaking bumps i would imagine. those were my only critisisms. Other than that i think it was worth the 8hr trip.

Last edited:

konahoe

Squid
to be honest i dont care if they havnt done much recently, it is stil a really good place to ride atleast we dont have to start building another track. thats just becoming to hard to do these days with out people jumping on ur back and naging you to death.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Let's head to Falls Creek.

I think we're spending too much time on Buller. I think we should spend our time getting Falls Creek to invest money in real tracks. For the right resort and right tracks, people in Australia will travel to ride them. That = a larger user base and more income. Lets vote with our feet!

Buller is not spending money on tracks because it has no competition. Create competition and lets see what happens.

notso

Likes Dirt
I agree that Buller has the maket to itself and therefore is resting on it's laurels.
However, Falls Creek is simply too far for day trips. This seriously limits the number of riders that will make the trek.
Buller's do-able because you can get there in just over 2 hours.

Does anyone know if Falls Creek or Hotham management are subject to the same constraints (permits etc) that Buller mgt are?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
However, Falls Creek is simply too far for day trips. This seriously limits the number of riders that will make the trek.
Buller's do-able because you can get there in just over 2 hours.
That's why Baw Baw would be such a good option.

scarecrow8888

Likes Dirt
sitting around doing nothing

we are all sitting around at our computers complaining that mount buller is growing sub-standard and stale and needs some serious work.

i have been there 4 times in the past 2 years all spread out and i have noticed that not much had been done to the tracks besides the switchbacks, the rolldown ski jump, the couple of table tops at the top of abom and i think it was meant to be a dual slalom track at top of international.

i dont see all this complaining as a solution to the problem and im not saying we should have to build the tracks ourselves, but why cant we for the love of our sport. unfortunately im 17, no liscence (besides L's) and in school.

THE SOLUTION: i would gladly go up if i could get a ride on friday nights (4 hours drive for ballarat) and come back sunday nights and work on the tracks in between. and im sure others would as well. all we would need from buller is accomadation like at spurs or something

or each time there are races on (eg: nationals next week) organise to go up with a few people early and offer to work on the tracks. im pretty sure management would appreciate that and reward you in some way as long as the work was genuine. maybe even a free entry or something?

sitting here complaining and arguing the point isnt going to solve anything. we have to show action if we want things to be done.

my 2cents

Jac

Squid
The word from Buller on the ground

Hey all,

Completely value all the feedback.

Now for the hard facts from me - I work, live and breathe Mt Buller; the skiing and the biking.

Bottom line is that 'We are operational'. As per one of the above threads, the economic climate does mean things are tight but that doesn't change the committment Mt Buller has to biking. It does cost a lot of money to run the chair, staff the lifts, maintain the tracks and run events but we do it because we are committed to growing Mt Buller into a great biking hub. We have a new Bike Buller brand, we are present at most event and trade shows, are starting to sponsor riders and have a passionate on the ground team dedicated to the sport.

The key issue is sustainability. In being committed to biking we are committed to the environment and we have to maintain the impact that the sport has in the alpine environment. We have to make this the primary focus and this takes time and resources.

If you talk to anyone who has ridden the XC trails this season, they will tell you that they have improved dramatically, the tracks are new and the signage is done.

The new beginner DH track is not happening this year. We need another permit. It is in the works and it is the next DH committment.

There is a new mini-skills park at Spurs in the making.

The Volunteers do a bloody good job at supporting Buller and we welcome anyone to come up and put in a hand - just talk to Sam.

So all... any questions that you want real answers to... I am here.

No jargon, no crap - we are committed.

Cheers.

Ivan

Eats Squid
OT:

Jac,
Are the numbers of MTB'ers patronising the mountain increasing every season?

I have been following this thread quite closely because my partner and I are planning a trip to an alpine mtb resort next year.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id be keen on an easier track for those new to the sport and a harder track than International for those that are more skilled riders.

Also how does opening a store support the sport of MTB? Not having ago but there is a heap of bike shops as it is and wouldnt that mean money from the tracks/lifts would go towards running the shop/wages etc? Im not having a go at anybody just asking a n00b question.

bkpr

Likes Bikes
I'm going to Buller for the first time this weekend :D Never ridden downhill before. Looking forward to it!