Mt buller big let down...?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mac. Thanks for the input. Good to get a perspective from 'the inside'. A question - I understand that there's the issue of environmental impact when it comes to new trails. Does that also apply to the existing trails and therefore prevent the building of additional features such as berms or tabletops?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if Falls Creek or Hotham management are subject to the same constraints (permits etc) that Buller mgt are?
Can't find what I remember reading, but IIRC all ski resorts are in Alpine National Parks and are subject to the same rules. As you've read in this thread, getting even 1 trail approved is hard .. but the "variations" to trails are easier to sneak in. EG, the variant at the top of Thredbo, the two offshoots of International at Buller.

Further, when building a trail there are a whole bunch of rules: Trees must not be harmed, if a tree needs to be cut down then 10 new trees must be planted to replace it, etcetc.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I agree that Buller has the maket to itself and therefore is resting on it's laurels.
However, Falls Creek is simply too far for day trips. This seriously limits the number of riders that will make the trek.
Buller's do-able because you can get there in just over 2 hours.
Riders drop ALOT of coin travelling to Whistler, build a decent bike park and riders will travel from around the country, take off your blinkers, I'm not just talking about the Vic riders here.

Hey all,

Completely value all the feedback.

Now for the hard facts from me - I work, live and breathe Mt Buller; the skiing and the biking.

Bottom line is that 'We are operational'. As per one of the above threads, the economic climate does mean things are tight but that doesn't change the committment Mt Buller has to biking. It does cost a lot of money to run the chair, staff the lifts, maintain the tracks and run events but we do it because we are committed to growing Mt Buller into a great biking hub. We have a new Bike Buller brand, we are present at most event and trade shows, are starting to sponsor riders and have a passionate on the ground team dedicated to the sport.

The key issue is sustainability. In being committed to biking we are committed to the environment and we have to maintain the impact that the sport has in the alpine environment. We have to make this the primary focus and this takes time and resources.

If you talk to anyone who has ridden the XC trails this season, they will tell you that they have improved dramatically, the tracks are new and the signage is done.

The new beginner DH track is not happening this year. We need another permit. It is in the works and it is the next DH committment.

There is a new mini-skills park at Spurs in the making.

The Volunteers do a bloody good job at supporting Buller and we welcome anyone to come up and put in a hand - just talk to Sam.

So all... any questions that you want real answers to... I am here.

No jargon, no crap - we are committed.

Cheers.
Thanks for the update/feedback Jac.
No ones doubting the job the volunteers are doing, but we are questioning Buller Lifts Management for sitting back and doing very little. If the bike park wasn't running, Wouldn't the Spurs lift be running anyway? Sight seers and all?
With the dwindling winter seasons, why isn't investment being put in to capture the travelling riders? Whistler only runs 3 lifts in total, 2 for biking but all the main trails come off 1 chair lift. Buller just needs to get approval to bike bike trails and invest a little money, it's not like we're asking for a new 8 seat chair to go in.
The amenities are also lacking. I understand even Uncle Pats has closed for summer, leaving only Bushmans and the Chalet for some place to eat. I'd love to see the chaos the nationals will bring. And someone has posted here about there being another mtb shop, Buller needs a MTB shop, bike hire and repairs are essential. I'm not driving down to Mansfeild for a spare/new tyre or hanger.

Last edited:

cheif

Likes Bikes
so it sounds like its a case of a lot of lazy dh riders again being lazy, those of you who arn't know who you are. us lazy ones yea we cant help it i know, organisation who the F*@# can be f*#@ed. any way you have us lazy, and you have and skinny xc super organised crews riding there buff trails. if its all volunteer work sounds like mt buller should consider some insentivs (yea my spellings shit) eg, open up the lifts for free on sunday to any one who puts a day in on a shovel on the dh track, hell id dig a day to ride a day there, its win win, track gets love more, riders ride the track because it would be mint, more riders more money.... you get the picture. whould mt buller go for it? over to any one

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These lifts cost a lot to run per day .. I think it is like $2000 per day ... $40 for a pass - NEED 50 riders to cover costs.
You don't fund the Summer season with the Winter one.
They are not a charity.

Why does everyone always complain?

Stromlo is shit, You Yangs shit, Thredbo shit, Buller shit.

I think you should all fuck off to Canada.
You're right Indica.
When you think about it why dont you be grateul to have somewhere to ride instead of just dishin crap on places to ride.
When i rode the You Yangs i thought that they were awesome.
When i rode Buller i thought it was awesome to.
I didnt go around complaining about Abom being rough or the You Yangs being pedally, i was just stoked to have a DH track to ride.
Be grateful that we have somewhere to ride and are lucky enough to be able to.;)

stevenw

Pro Rider
Qualifying times for under 19's has just been phoned through to me.

1st Rhys Willemse
2nd Shaun O'Conner
3rd Will Gower

Racing in an hour.

Ozza

Eats Squid
I left before the presentation so dont hold me 100% on these but...
Sean took out under 19's! Rhys podiumed.
Sam Hill won elite with a 3:18. Pretty sure Bryn and Amiel took out 2nd and 3rd consecutively with times around 3:26. Brosnan with a killer u17's win with 3:36

EDIT: Hill by 6 seconds... Mick 2nd Amiel 3rd!
1st Sean, 2nd Rhys and Tam 3rd

Last edited:

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I left before the presentation so dont hold me 100% on these but...
Sean took out under 19's! Rhys podiumed.
Sam Hill won elite with a 3:18. Pretty sure Bryn and Amiel took out 2nd and 3rd consecutively with times around 3:26. Brosnan with a killer u17's win with 3:36
Thats awesome, Brosnan only 18 seconds off Sam Hills time!

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Been riding at buller over xmas time,and first thing we have noticed is how little is been done to the tracks.!after last years promises of massive tracks developement takig place,nothing has changed.i still like to go there on weekends,you cant beat chair lift,but with awesome tracks like you yangs,closer to melbourne,i regret buying season pass.does anyone feel same way???
Apparently Jared Graves thinks so:

http://jaredgraves.net/cms/?q=node/122

And I thought he was a hard man... (jokes!)

Kane.

Likes Dirt
For the lazy people.

I then travelled to Mount Buller for the next round of our national DH series, and did 9 runs of the track on Wednesday, and I was less than impressed on it, It is identical the the national champs track from 8 years ago, I loved the track back then, but now its so worn it has become a single line rut, loads of sniper rocks which I clipped a couple times out of nowhere, and found myself superman-ing over the bars!

By the end of the day when I was really pushing it, I was feeling fast on it, but the track was getting very sketchy. Especially when there is also bushes overhanging the track so you can't see what you are putting your wheels through!

A big thing I learnt during the 2007 season was that too much racing is not a good thing, it burns you out, gets you down, and performance suffers. To race your best you have to really want to race! The last thing I feel I needed to be doing at this time of year is a race I didnt want to be at, so I packed my stuff and drove home.

So I'm at home now resting up for a couple more days, about to really get stuck into training for the upcoming season

Gravey

chucka_2

Likes Dirt
I think that Mt. Buller was fantastic as i am from perth and was there for a few days on the holidays and it is amzing compared to the tracks over here. I had no complaints other then that we shold be able to ride after 4!

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Can any one give me results on the podium for under 17's?

Would be greatly appreciated.

SUNDAY

Likes Bikes
I raced Buller on the weekend and was a bit dissapointed. Mainly because of the condition of the top half of the track. It really wasn't enjoyable to ride. I understand that a National track should be tough but that top section was just annoying. A few tonne of white granite to fill smooth out some of those holes( I know, very labour intensive) would go along way towards making the top section a lot more enjoyable for the not so serious riders. AND it would probably stay in good condition for a lot longer.

These 'Ski Resorts' need to have good think about thier future. With so much investment tied up their inferstructure, and shops/accom etc in surrunding towns, there will be some seriously pissed off people if the snow seasons don't go well (as in, Global warming). They really need to work on their summer sports/activities or go broke. If the they do start going broke i doubt there will be to many $10,000 bills for development proposals in their way! ( I was told that originally thredbo wasn't allowed to Man Make snow due the chemicals used but that changed when they weren't getting enough natural cover).

The chance (and profits) are there for which ever "Ski Resort" can get their act together first to become Australia's version of Whistler.

cheif

Likes Bikes
who really knows why bulller is slow to catch on to what is market is telling it. they may have no money, political tape to cut through who knows. corronet peak in nz has put in a new track this season, a downhill/xc combo. i know it is not a dh track but its still a new track, and more are on the way.nz sure has not got the same numbers of riders that aus do, from what i have seen more riders show up to a state race that our nationals. i guess my point is if buller wont or cant move with the times then another mountain/skifeild will. its a large and growing market, nz day pass cost more than buller too.

Daisy69

Likes Bikes
bit late

hey i also rode the bulla tracks over xmas, they were kool first time ive been there, but from reading wot u guys have been saying maybe things could be better, i dont think idput it completly down to no money no workers, id be more inclined to say that it would be the goverment, aka greenies. for every sinlge tree, bush or shrub tht is removed i think its ten that has to be replanted. fair enough. but getting tht bit of paper tht says its ok to make a mad double black diamond track is really hard. as most ppl would realise.i guess it gets put down to weather the greenies think tht it is a eco freindly enough to let the crew at bull rip in or not.

Whats Mt buller like compared to Thredbo ?
anyone got any comparisons?
i have ridden thredbo and love the length of the run but was considering seeing Mt Bullers track worth it?