MT Cootha

Hey guys im new around here.
im just getting back into the mountain bike scene after a hefty crash on mt cootha about 8 years ago

anyways my questions are

Does anyone know where all the good DH trails went..... after 8 years of not riding then going back down
all i can find multi use trails and walking only trails.
half of the good old trails have now been turned into walking only and the trails that used to be at least half decent are no longer there....

are there any volunteer groups that are going around building trails? if not there should be

not too keen on all the gap creek stuff. there are too many old ladys walking fluffy white rats.

cheers
Scott

oh and p.s if anyone knows of any cheap boxxers going around in brisbane please pm me

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
All the DH trails on Coot-tha were closed down in 2005. Most people who ride Dh these days don't even know what was up there. The problem was that almost all of the trails had serious potential conflicts with either walkers or cars. The only trail that had no conflicts was Pooshooter, and that was closed down due to environmental concerns because it exited into some "remnant rainforest".

The closest thing to DH near there is Pipeline in Gap creek, which has some nice wooden structures and berms. No need to a full DH rig, but some people ride the DH bike on it.

Gap creek has a monthly trail care that you can link up with on the MTBdirt site. But they strictly maintain the existing trails and don't make new ones, as the network is now council approved and fully legal.

The only DH trails nearby are Castle Hill near Ipswich, which has some nice well maintained DH tracks mainly used for push runs. Then there is the Beerburrum DH track, where they are holding the first Sunshine series Dh event this weekend. Otherwise there are still some tracks that have been around for more than 8 years, which are not strictly legal, but have been tolerated. You'll need to ask around, as people shouldn't be posting these tracks on an open forum.

Hope that clears up the history.

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
You're shit out of luck as far as Coot-tha goes. I've recently returned after 2.5ish year break from the riding/racing scene. Cootha is pretty tame these days. I started riding there in 2002 and it's a far cry from years gone by.

Pipeline/Bronwyns is alright but it's a big climb back out once you get to the end. It's really well built but due to having to bend over for the council it's a green run by most people's standards (even though it's listed at 'black diamond' or whatever it's been slapped with).

You'll have to ask around for some of the hidden tracks (not necessarily in the Cootha region) but even then you might struggle.

Ipswich and Beerburrum have some fun stuff - but they're a trek to get to. Clear Mountain can afford some nice shuttling but I've not been out there since 2006 - I don't know how good the track is these days.

Go chat with your local shop/s. They'll be able to guide you towards tracks and people who you can ride with.

hmm i thought it was a bit funny when most of the tracks were actually overgrown or have some sort of concrete structure infront of them..... there are a couple that i have been on that people obviously must still ride on (as you say not strictly legal) but you can tell are actually being maintained by some riders...

well there goes that idea.... went to pipeline and adder trails and well to be honest i was a bit dissapointed.

am going to be at the beerburrum dh this sunday. see how it goes.

Thanks everyone hope to see you out riding