MT Joyce opening day report + ride reports + updates

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Cant wait to hit it again, agree with you Stu...one of the best days Ive had of skids and wheelies. Just awesome.
Definitely need a dually out there though, steel pride only goes so far

cressa

Likes Dirt
Yes yes yes. Mt Joyce is the good life. As Stew described, we had another great day of epic trails. It honestly exceeds my expectations more than I ever imagined. Ear to ear grin.

Kinda sucks that I found a dirty great crack in my frame when I got home. Bummed.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
Yeah that is the easy bit Stu. The double black track is worse. Slightly lower than this is where the gated rock drop is. Had another look at it today. On my DH bike it will all be alot more ridable, but even on AM bikes it is easy to get in over your head.
Yeah we had a look at that to, I wouldn't even contemplate the gated line, but the open part of that section still had some good options.
Very keen to check out all of the DH tracks.

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Yeah that is the easy bit Stu. The double black track is worse. Slightly lower than this is where the gated rock drop is. Had another look at it today. On my DH bike it will all be alot more ridable, but even on AM bikes it is easy to get in over your head.

The conditions today were amazing, HERO SOIL, just lean over and carve. Becareful the hendra flu horse riders have been at it again. Just before a really fast bit on Track 11 the track goes close to the fireroad, some horse rider cut across and onto track 11 and then rode down it. Bloody Dangerous, also showed the damage Horses do compared to bikes, bloody holes in the track everywhere.

Hey Andy,

Can you let SEQ Water know about these horse riders on the MTB tracks please? We need to stop this sort of thing happening immediately otherwise it will get worse as time goes on. Tracks are sounding awesome, might finally get time to get out there myself on the weekend to have a ride and check it out?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Already on it Harvey. I have also given them some other places for signs so we don't run into each other as well.

PMing you my number, could you call me today please.

Andy..

IluvmyBike

Likes Dirt
Which Bike?

Are the tracks almost all long pedal ups and then bomb down (as opposed to undulating xc type downhill bits)? Just wondering which bike I should take. The bottlerocket goes uphill fine, but no seatdropped so it is atad annoying to be stopping often to change seat height. The blur LTwould be good, but have to change the bb, ditto headset on the epic. Thoughts? I think the blur Lt would be the best, but if it is just a long not overly technical climb followed by some beauty berms I'll bottlerocket it and save the bike maintanence for another day.
cheers 4 advice.
p.s. Seen lots of posts about horse turds. If I see an actual horse on the trail what is protocol? Get their name and report them to the glue factory, kindly indicate that they're not allowed or just grab a spade-full of the crap and fling it on them?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you see one on the single tracks. Tell them nicely how dangerous it is for them to ride on the trails. Indicate that the multipurpose trails are for all to enjoy but for safety sake only MTB's should be on the MTB trails. Make sure you stop when you see them and don't scare the horse, the rider might be a knob, but we can't blame the horse for it's owner.

The LT would rock out there. The Bottle rocket would also be good, but I think I would go the LT.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Headed out today with a group of mates.
All I can say is that it is awesome.
Went up to the top on some easy trails checked out the downhill section, one part of which is the steepest, most technical part of a downhill track I've ever seen, then bombed back down the mountain along track 1 which I must say is an amazing track.

Mate managed to stack it twice in one run of the 4x track as well, was a most enjoyable day out. :rolleyes:

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
Are most people taking short-mid travel AM bikes out to the park?

I'm looking to build up an AM hardtail, but wondering if I should be looking to save a bit off extra of dosh and go for something a little squishier in the rear if I'm going to suffer on a hardtail out at there.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Are most people taking short-mid travel AM bikes out to the park?

I'm looking to build up an AM hardtail, but wondering if I should be looking to save a bit off extra of dosh and go for something a little squishier in the rear if I'm going to suffer on a hardtail out at there.
I think that might be the general idea. By the looks of some of the photos, a dually would be great. I'm heading down on Saturday with my cousins, both of whom are on hardtails, i'll let you know how it goes.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As per most things, you can keep up to a degree on a Hardy, just sketchy, bigger major for error with a squishy.

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Rode it today on my STP - bit of a climb but well worth it. Can't wait till I'm actually fitter so I can enjoy a bit better.

Are they planning on planting more trees for shade in that first section? Serious glare and heat radiation - would be quite the uncomfortable in summer.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode it today on my STP - bit of a climb but well worth it. Can't wait till I'm actually fitter so I can enjoy a bit better.

Are they planning on planting more trees for shade in that first section? Serious glare and heat radiation - would be quite the uncomfortable in summer.
Funny you should mention it MUGGSY. As of yesterday afternoon, I was talking with SEQwater about have a tree planting day soon in exactly that area, a bit of on you way in, pull up plant a tree call it yours and continue on your ride. Will put up full details on the net as soon as I get them.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Heading out at 8am in the morning on the Ransom with a mate on a reign. Will get some chest cam footage. May look at doing an easy run down one of the DH tracks to get some footage as well seeing as so far there has been no footage at all. Should get it on line Sunday some time.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this place free? I would of thought there'd be permits or entry fees but I can't find anything..

Pretty keen to check it out! Also, It looks like you could ride all the tracks (minus the black tracks) in a morning, True? From an XC perspective, is it steep hilly like Mt Cootha or Flat like daisy hill?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The climb to the top of Bovine and Black rock is similar to climbing all the way to the top of Cootha and then coming down. Like climbing up two or maybe three Dingos. But a much easier gradient climb, switchbacks everywhere.

binner

Hath shat hymself
its time we talked

Funny you should mention it MUGGSY. As of yesterday afternoon, I was talking with SEQwater about have a tree planting day soon in exactly that area, a bit of on you way in, pull up plant a tree call it yours and continue on your ride. Will put up full details on the net as soon as I get them.
see you there 9am on the button....

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What day Dust Bin? I will be picking up my new Roadie off Luke tomorrow morning at 9am.

binner

Hath shat hymself
bam

ahhh tomorrow..... is luke there all day tomorrow? I am buying up big for a mate of mine and was going in there tomorrow arvo to see the wolfman.