MT Keira gone for good???

gonger

Cannon Fodder
your right, it's not uncommon to join mines. for instance appin and douglas are now one pit. the name kemira came about when mt kembla mine and mt keira mine joined together.

yeah NRE own south bulli and wongawilli (west dapto way), but it's not possible to join them. the land has been rehabilitated and has been closed for many years. kemira has been sealed and there is no pittop left at all. even just to look inside would be a massive audeal as all the portals and shafts have been sealed and the place is probably full of either gas or water.

anyway back to the issue at hand, i wouldn't panic too much just yet

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guess its one of those things where we'll just have to wait and see what happens..

saying all this..
i may be heading up there tomorrow with a few of us.
get a few runs in while i can haha :cool:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
My Hypothesis (sp.)

Recently I have been riding the 2 XC tracks right up the top of Mt Keira.
There is the one that starts near the turn off to Mt Kembla on the Picton Road, and then the one that comes of the road on the lookout.
They seem to be very techy, fast and flowy for XC trails and thank god my bike is great up hills! :D

I will not stop riding the track up Keira, fences and signs will not stop me!
What age must a person be for fines to be inforced as I'm quite sure a Grom like myself can't be fined! (Yes!)
If someone tells you of, are you really going to listen and never ride there again??

Anyway, I have a plan to build Uni back up, get rid of fallen trees, tidy it up a little, will post somethin in the Illawarra Ride Organisation Thread so I can try and get a group together to do some mantainence as if the main Keira tracks are closed, we still have good old reliable Uni!

I would hate to see plenty of hard work from myself and countless others go down the drain, but what can we do?

Well know that I mention it, I would be happy to protest! Not that I will get very far, but Greenies do it all the time!
That's a great idea get some Greenies to protest against bulldozing (if it comes to that!).

Anyway, I've jabbered on enough, if you have been bothered to read the whole thing, then good on ya!

Cheers,
Ty. ;)

Last edited:

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyway, I have a plan to build Uni back up, get rid of fallen trees, tidy it up a little, will post somethin in the Illawarra Ride Organisation Thread so I can try and get a group together to do some mantainence as if the main Keira tracks are closed, we still have good old reliable Uni!

I would hate to see plenty of hard work from myself and countless others go down the drain, but what can we do?
You do relise TY, that no one wants you to build on uni, or do you plan to make it like the track you built, because that would be awesome:rolleyes:

Sam.

Eats Squid
I will not stop riding the track up Keira, fences and signs will not stop me!
What age must a person be for fines to be inforced as I'm quite sure a Grom like myself can't be fined! (Yes!)
If someone tells you of, are you really going to listen and never ride there again??
Just shutup please, Ty. People with attitudes like you ARE going to get tracks shutdown.

radbiker

Likes Dirt
all i can say is if they bulldoze it we will build again and if a fence is put up it wont stop us because wen you think about it obriens drift is fenced and everybody has been riding it for years

tallongdownhill

Likes Dirt

Well know that I mention it, I would be happy to protest! Not that I will get very far, but Greenies do it all the time!
That's a great idea get some Greenies to protest against bulldozing (if it comes to that!).

Anyway, I've jabbered on enough, if you have been bothered to read the whole thing, then good on ya!

Cheers,
Ty. ;)
You destroyed kiera get your hands of the uni track,i'm sick of kids like you building new lines,chopping trees and whatever else you do and not knowing what the fark you are doin to the environment.I say leave the track building to us older guys.Kiera used to be a good ride the last time i hit it i was devastated of the condition of the place and how much clearing has been goin on there to cut new lines all the over the place.As for your attitude been a rebel ridin kiera you still can get fined at a young age so i hope you get done if thats the way you want to play.:D

motox199

Likes Dirt
QUOTE]

Please Ty don't ruin uni track by building all those crap lines like you did at keira:rolleyes:. Uni track would be better off like it is than it would be if you got to it.

placebo

Likes Dirt
*Edit* DW I will keep my info to myself, and try and stop Keira being closed down on my own terms.
You are a beautiful and unique snowflake!

Gujarat NRE amalgamated Eloura and Tower to make Wongawilli. South Bulli is estimated in their annual report to have a remaining working life of 15 yrs. I know they've investigated the subdivision and sale of the land there at it's conclusion, because friends have worked on it. If they have purchased the land at the old Kemira site (I've not found a Mercury article in support, and NRE love to put them on their website) and are considering either of these options, you might find the experience of the Mt. Kembla residents opposing the Dendrobium project enlightening.

gonger

Cannon Fodder
You are a beautiful and unique snowflake!

Gujarat NRE amalgamated Eloura and Tower to make Wongawilli. South Bulli is estimated in their annual report to have a remaining working life of 15 yrs. I know they've investigated the subdivision and sale of the land there at it's conclusion, because friends have worked on it. If they have purchased the land at the old Kemira site (I've not found a Mercury article in support, and NRE love to put them on their website) and are considering either of these options, you might find the experience of the Mt. Kembla residents opposing the Dendrobium project enlightening.
wow man. i hope people don't think you know what you're talking about.

wongawilli has been around since the early 1900's. changed it's name to elouera in 93. then the name changed to delta mine when delta mining started running it for BHP a few yrs back. BHP then sold it to NRE just recently and they quite simply changed the name back to wongawilli. tower was the old name for douglas mine which is now appin west which is joined to appin. they're no where near each other lol.

haha and there's a brief histry of mining in the illawarra for you!

placebo

Likes Dirt
The point in reference to his post however was that NRE if they have purchased the site they will do whatever they have in mind for it, regardless of his one man band, or my boozy inaccuracies.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
You do not Dominate downhill, Downhill Domination. You are not making any friends with your poorly planned "mouthing-off". People clearly resent your trail building efforts. Please chill, and ride your bike.

Live and learn, dude. Live and learn.

trolleyed

Likes Bikes
please don't... clearing trees is fine, but just leave the track the way it is thanks.

Gronk

Likes Dirt
So sad to see Mt Keira come to this... I remember when Holy track was the only trail up there, it was a good trail and there were no hassles. But of course, clueless North Shore wannabe trail-builders had to get in there and start creating "free-ride" monstrosities.

Kembla lost all it's wooden stuff because land owners are very public-liability paranoid. A track is a track, it could be a walking track or whatever, but as soon as there is wooden stuff built on it, it immediately gains bad attention. No they wont send dozers down a trail, but they will remove anything that's been "built".

And all those bad-arse wannabe's ranting on about building reguardless etc etc... you are just compounding the problem and essentially shooting yourselves in the foot. And whoever was cheering because they reckon they are too young to be fined... I have no idea if that's true or not, but you're not too young have the rest of the local riding community smack you upside the head if they catch you contributing to getting these trails shut down.

lawry

Likes Dirt
keira

So sad to see Mt Keira come to this... I remember when Holy track was the only trail up there, it was a good trail and there were no hassles. But of course, clueless North Shore wannabe trail-builders had to get in there and start creating "free-ride" monstrosities.

Kembla lost all it's wooden stuff because land owners are very public-liability paranoid. A track is a track, it could be a walking track or whatever, but as soon as there is wooden stuff built on it, it immediately gains bad attention. No they wont send dozers down a trail, but they will remove anything that's been "built".

And all those bad-arse wannabe's ranting on about building reguardless etc etc... you are just compounding the problem and essentially shooting yourselves in the foot. And whoever was cheering because they reckon they are too young to be fined... I have no idea if that's true or not, but you're not too young have the rest of the local riding community smack you upside the head if they catch you contributing to getting these trails shut down.
I Bags first in line to start smacking

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
Good Lord,,

Seriously, whatever people say here isn't going to fix anything. I'll ride there until they tell me off/put signs up/fence it off. Then i'll just go ride somewhere else. I know it's sad to lose such good and fun tracks but really, we were lucky. We are riding on other peoples land, and we should be greatful that they hadn't fenced it off long ago.

You never know, they might not even fence it off and may just not worry about us mountain bikers. I doubt they could do anything with the land so i have no idea why they bought it. They are plenty of other tracks and mountains to ride around the region.

If someone up there asks you to not ride there, respect them and do as your told. Arguing and refusing will just make things worse.

I want to write more but i can't think of anything right now. Haha.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You destroyed kiera get your hands of the uni track,i'm sick of kids like you building new lines,chopping trees and whatever else you do and not knowing what the fark you are doin to the environment.I say leave the track building to us older guys.Kiera used to be a good ride the last time i hit it i was devastated of the condition of the place and how much clearing has been goin on there to cut new lines all the over the place.As for your attitude been a rebel ridin kiera you still can get fined at a young age so i hope you get done if thats the way you want to play.:D
I totally agree with this.

Also if uni gets touched by those who caused the mess up kiera.. i doubt they'd want to hang around too long as there'll be alot of angry people.
i.e. Best off leaving it alone! ;)

Anyways, i rode uni the other wknd and there wasnt much wrong with it.