Mt Kowen/Sparrows - help with tyres

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

I am riding the 3hr twilight race tomorrow at Mt Kowen and then at Sparrows on sunday. As I am travelling from Sydney, I am not going to have a lot of time before the race to change my tyres.

Would you recommend I run my Pythons or my mud tyres?

Has Canberra had any rain lately?

Cheers

I rode at Majura last night and ran a Maxxis Ranchero on the rear and Maxxis High Roller type r on the front both 2.0 or 2.1

The conditions were dry and dusty. Sparrow and Kowen are usually slightly more moist than Majura but tend to hold grip better. Unles we get rain today or tomorrow I would leave the mud tyres off and bring something fast rolling.

...jim

skanky media ho
Dry as a badger. Leave the mud tyres at home.

(my personal preferance would be to leave the Pythons at home to, but meh...)

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Hmm, if these are the same Hutchinson tyres that have come as spec for pretty much every Giant bike imported into Australia for 2004, 2005 then general consensus is that they pretty much suck for use in Canberra.

Supposed to be good for loamy soil or somesuch. Whatever they're good for, it's not the soil or trails we have here. Never found anyone who didn't rip them off and replace with something better. Good option seems to be Maxxis Advantage up front and a Larsen TT 2.0 on the rear.

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hmm, if these are the same Hutchinson tyres that have come as spec for pretty much every Giant bike imported into Australia for 2004, 2005 then general consensus is that they pretty much suck for use in Canberra.
Yes you are right, they have come speced for the 2006 Giants as well. there is a lot more too mtb than road riding and it is taking a while for me to get my head around everything. I guess you get used to something and unless you read posts like this you don't realise that there are better options out there.

I have already got a hole in the sidewall of the pythons so I may look into the maxxis options

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
With friends I know having had an NRS, 2 VT2's and 2 VT3's all specc'd with Pythons, swapping out the tyres was their first port of call.

My cornering skills are sketchy so I don't trust Larsen TT2.0's up front enough to suggest them there. A few of us tried Lasenn TT 1.9's which are a MUCH smaller bag (well more than 0.1 inches difference in the spec would suggest) and in both cases the sidewalls ripped out. 2.0's seem fine though.

Even keeping the python on he rear and throwing the Maxxis Advantage on the front would be a big step forward.

I'm trying a couple of Syncros FLT's at the moment and am pretty happy but they don't give them away. Not Michelin pricey, but still not cheap.

...jim

skanky media ho
Actually Pythons do make a decent rear tyre - and they're not bad for burnign up fireroads - but I certainly can't make 'em hang on in front like some of the pro kids seem to.

Then there's the bead issue. Pythons appear to have a looser fit than other tyres, causing the odd bead to pop off the rim, and I had one rotate on the rim (as I descended a *very* steep hill under brakes) taking the tube with it but leaving the valve behind. Instant deflation.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
IIRC the 2006 Pythons have had the side knobs increased by 1-2mm to help corner traction. Don't know how much difference this makes in the real world but as ...Jim has said the speed some of the top Aussie XC riders blow through corners (on Hardtails) with Pythons fitted, makes me think that the rider is really the weak link.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Ah yes, the weak link rider thing. Very true.

I can't corner to save myself so I rely on grippy tyres.

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
I agree the rider is definately the weak link but you have to start somewhere. I am going to get some grippy tyres so I will be more confident and have a go in the corners.

BTW, I had a blast at Mt Kowen and Sparrows. A big MTB weekend, what could be better!! :D

You guys were right about the dust, it was unbelievable. I was still tasting it a couple of hours later!!