Mt Stanley DH

Hi guys,

I went for a walk this afternoon after work to have a look at the Mt Stanley dh track to see what is left there to ride, it's a pretty big mess the whole area, but I was trying to beat the darkness tonight and couldn't venture down the hill to far, so I think I might go for a walk on Saturday morning and see if I can see more. being a local it would be good to be able to get it rideable again to have some fun on, the hardest part is not being able see where the track has gone before as I never got to see it when it was in good condition. If anyone has any info it would be handy but if not I'm sure with some trekking I can find roughly where it all went, ill keep you up to date with my progress....

Cheers, Matt

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as I know , it's been years since anyone rode it regularly. Even when it was in use , trees would often fall across it , just keeping it clear and in reasonable nick was a fair sized job for the few that would take it on themselves to do so. It was pretty cool track but such a long shuttle. That and the constant maintenance contributed to the current situation I reckon.

I don't think it was ever 100% legal either.......

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure that this track is on Ben Watkins hit list to get up and running again. I have put up numerous rock climbing routes up on Mt Stanley. Its a bloody good area for all kind of outdoor stuff.
I had an uncle that used to live in Silver Creek, so many a trip was made up to Mt Stanley, and many a beer drunk at the Indigo Inn afterwards.

Good luck in getting the track up and running, I would love to ride it.

Cheers

Rich

big geoff

Likes Dirt
Stanley was a thing of amazement and beauty. Best rock garden of all time and it was like 7 or 8 minutes long. Shuttle was not that bad considering how long the track was.

Hi guys,

I went out there this morning for another look and I just can't seem to find where the track left the 4x4 track you started on, it's all so overgrown and messy that you can't see shit. I'm determined to find it so I will go for another look on Friday arvo, sounds like its a track that should be getting used as beechworth is missing a real downhill track and might get a few more riders up here for it. Hopefully that's right about Ben Watkins wanting to get it going cause he does a bloody good job with all his tracks I've seen.

Cheers, Matt

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In a decent 4WD you could short cut up jeep track to the start which was about a 25 minute shuttle from memory. Otherwise it was close to 40 minutes going up the 2WD road.

From the car park at the tower , go south down Jeep track about 50m and on your left will be the remnants of an old vehicle track. It won't look like a track but the absence of of any big trees (roughly in a straight line) going straight down the slope , will give it away. That was the start , about another 50 - 100m down , it turned right and traversed the hill.

And yes , riding that rock garden clean for the first time was a highlight ! Easily in the top 5 gnarliest things I have ever ridden

Edit: Dug this up : http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?142866-Directions-to-Mt-Stanley

Last edited: