Mt Stromlo World Cup

Travvy43

Likes Bikes
WOW, spent the day in the Triple Treat section and what an amazing atmosphere it was. Most of the riders interviewed commented specifically about that area of the course. HAd a great day up there. What a freak the winner was, wiping the field by around 5 seconds.

Bit cold, bit of rain, but would not hesitate to do it all over again.

Already looking into booking the flights from melbourne for the worlds at Stromlo next year.

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
Well I certainly had a ball. I managed to catch up with almost every event. I even had a few rides and a run to balance the carbs from all the beer and food consumed.

I put together a quick video on u tube which I have uploaded here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxYw5Y2FFX0

(Hit the circle button as it did not load on Farkin from the very start)

It was all shot on a Nokia N95 camera phone so no comments about crap photos as I reckon it is o.k considering it is not really a real camera. I could have taken the big guns down but I wanted to enjoy myself.

PM if you like it.

Saw some big air horns (the truck one was the loudest...connected to a fire extinguisher). I think there was a fair bit of noise and if the weather was better I think the crowd would have been even larger.

Roll on the 24 in October...Stromlo is getting better all the time...heard the park organisers are putting in a chairlift and a 4 star resort in the future so Stromlo can only get better.

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great to meet some Farkin faces :)

Some of my pics:

Spokes!

Girls with balls.

Airtime.

Halo

Sam's bikes.

Winner.

Peaty warming up with a resistance trainer attached to the back of his bike.

Saint rims.

Stralia!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I had a great day...aside from the cold, wet and mud! :)

Spent most of the final up at the rock garden. It was great to see how each rider tackled the section and being the final, as each rider came through the better it got.

I also had my camera set to 'continuous' so I got some great sequences.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a great day...aside from the cold, wet and mud! :)

Spent most of the final up at the rock garden. It was great to see how each rider tackled the section and being the final, as each rider came through the better it got.

I also had my camera set to 'continuous' so I got some great sequences.
I was also up at the rock garden, i now know what death looks like!
Was an awesome weekend!

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
It sure was sweet watching the top guys do their thing in real life, So fast and smooth!! Very inspiring!

Also it is a great venue for spectating, so easy to see the track up close from so many areas.

But.....

I cant help but think, Is stromlo really a "world cup worthy" DH trail? I've not yet ridden the track so maybe Im wrong, but its looks kinda short and not very steep. Mt stomlo is not really a mountain. Sure there is some really sweet sections ( eg rock garden, triple treat) but overall, Im really not sure...
But I guess you gotta look at it from all aspects (spectating, parking, facillities) not just the actual track.

Dont get me wrong, I think Stomlo is one of the best things to happen to MTB in a long time and I think is freakin awesome to see the world cup in Aus, and I hope it becomes a regular thing.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Note:
Watch the freecaster video with the volume off. The commentators are ridiculously bad.
Yep they're pretty bad, but I've heard worse... The thing I noticed was the footage wasn't that impressive compared with previous World Cup rounds. Seemed like camera locations weren't thought out very well and they definately could've used more cameras.

blakie49

Likes Dirt
yeh i had the best time, i met cedric! i was talkin to him for a while and got a photo with him. Hes a real nice guy. Lol he ikes his cascade beer! Was just amazing to watch the riders do their thang. Cant wait til 3 weeks, im riding there.:)

Archi

Likes Dirt
This bloke should win superfan, anyone who was at triple treat will agree. Old man just having a little chat:

Last edited:

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
This bloke should win superfan, anyone who was at triple treat will agree. Old man just having a little chat:

Yeah that was pretty bloody funny watching him. Although i reckon things got abit fcked up when people started throwing the frisebes and then rocks across the track when the finals runs were on. Otherwise lots of fun in this area= great atmosphere!!

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I heard a lot of stuff going on at Triple Treat... then saw people throwing stuff at volunteers (fkn childish sh!t...:mad:) what was that dude actually doing?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yep they're pretty bad, but I've heard worse... The thing I noticed was the footage wasn't that impressive compared with previous World Cup rounds. Seemed like camera locations weren't thought out very well and they definately could've used more cameras.
Who was commentating? It was really bad......:eek: They cut to the lander of the 3rd in Triple Treat too soon, It was far more impressive watching the rider go over the top of it.