MTB and Environmental Sustainability

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
So for uni I have to survey a few people for a presentation and I thought what a better/more intelligent bunch of people than the Burners.
Basically I want to find out if a brands motivation to protect the environment influences your decision. (Admin please feel free to delete this thread if required).

Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc)

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment?

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB?

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product?

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related?

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy?

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase?

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why?

Q9. If you don't care at all, why?

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject?

I am not trying to be a hippy and force a message. I am just after some opinions and thoughts.

Thanks to everyone willing to participate.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
1) 36 going on 15
2) yes. But not at the expense of my trails
3) yes. Who wants to ride in a shit environment?
4) no. It is mostly lies. Profit is the goal.
5) no. Same as above. I'm just too cynical.
6) it would depend on he colour.
7) depends on the purchase and it intended use.
8) yes because mofos don't build shit I like.
9) Tony and Joe told me I had nothing to worry about.
10) no. I influence theirs.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Bicycles aren't petrol driven, the environmentality of it pretty much stops there unfortunately.
There's some environmental lubes and brands like Chris King that do some good stuff, but the fact they're being shipped from the other side of the world probably negates that. Ideally we'd buy Aussie, but what is there, Chunked and some steel hardtail frames available? Buy Chunked stuff for sure, it's good kit.
The big brands are too greedy and there's not enough profit incentive by greeny buyers to warrant much more effort to be green. Most bike shops don't even recycle their metal, some not even the tons of packaging that comes with new bikes. Buy durable shit that will last, buy logical shit that will do what it should, that's what I try and do. Buy used if you can, some killer bargains out there. and remember, even the shittest bike is fun, rail the shit outta that bad boy, who cares if your fastest. Sorry if my rant didn't help, LOL. Unnecessary consumerism is my obese pet hate.
Whoops, missed the questionnaire.
Q1. Hello, 43.

Q2. As a Human I feel it's important to protect the environment!

Q3. Depends how you define healthy. From a Corperate perspective, NO.

Q4. Yep, nearly without fail.

Q.5 As above.

Q6. It's a given.

Q7. Not sure of the question, pretty broad.

Q8. Yes, because others are lazy and to prevent erosion for many reasons, some political.

Q9.

Q10. Nope. We live in pretty much the least environmentally conscious country on earth, that WILL influence what everyone says, weather they think it or not IMO. You're not going to get too many environmentally caring answers. Perhaps post the same questions on forums worldwide as a global experiment.

Last edited:

mason33

Likes Dirt
25-30
Yes, but it's not my problem.
No, Toowoomba has latana and privet infested scrub and we have booming mtb community largely due to the steep, unbuildable terrain around the range area.
No, I'm skeptical about "environmentally friendly" products and there benefits.
Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related?
No, refer to Q4
Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy?
Either, no thought would be given if that were the only differing factor.
No it's usually a compromise between quality, cost, durability, weight, colour, availability etc.
Yes, because I ride the trails.

No... not really.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
So for uni I have to survey a few people for a presentation and I thought what a better/more intelligent bunch of people than the Burners.
Basically I want to find out if a brands motivation to protect the environment influences your decision. (Admin please feel free to delete this thread if required).

Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc) 22

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment? Indubitably so, urban downhill sucks, and everyone remembers the days of hucking stairs to flat on a freeride hardtail.

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB? Not particularly, if sea levels rise it will just cause people to ride in water. Drivetrain and bearing sales will go through the roof.

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product? Nope. I go out of my way to buy less products. And use what I have till it fails spectacularly. Better for everyone that way. I've worked in manufacturing, and how much raw material gets wasted is depressing, not to mention shipping costs. Even when things are recycled, the amount of waste is horrendous. I now work in HVAC breakdowns and fuck me silly, this is an industry that sucks so much arse environmentally. Apparently people are supposed to recapture refrigerant gasses!

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related? Again, it comes down to how well it's been designed, and if the initial manufacturing costs outweigh the longevity of the less ecological product. I've used ''eco-friendly'' chain lube, and all it did was attract so much muck on my drivetrain it caused pre-mature wear, resulting in me going through a chain in half the time I normally do.

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy? The hippy one. I don't think anyone of sound mind would fuck the planet without lube when there is a nicer, slippery alternative.

Except out-dated racist, sexist, homophobic bogan tradesmen.

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase? Please define quality, if it aesthetics, I don't care. If it breaks and I have to purchase seven when I'd normally buy one? I'll pick the one.

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why? I used to build pirate trails of all kinds and relished the overgrown, natural trails dominated the mtb scene of old. Maintenance never occurred because the number of riders wasn't enough to justify. Now with legal trails with high amounts of traffic needing some TLC on a regular basis, I'd love to get involved. But I don't have the time (see above, HVAC breakdowns. Long, weird hours spent hating on everyone). It's not a copout, I don't even get to ride much anymore besides the commute.

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject? No. People are stupid, including myself. But I like to think I can make up my own mind on matters regardless of peer pressure.

unless its something Bill hicks said, or involves single origin cold pressed coffee.

I am not trying to be a hippy and force a message. I am just after some opinions and thoughts. Embrace your hippy. Find an acoustic guitar, spout shit about spirituality and get laid

10 charizards yo

Last edited:

stirk

Burner

Stirk: 40
Stirk: absofuckinglutly!
Stirk: ultimately yes both healthy environment and healthy people and healthy economy can assist a healthy business in MTB.
Stirk: no I don't go out of my way to, but given the convenient choice will choose an environmentally conscious product over one that is not.
Stirk: as per q 4
Stirk: environment friendly one, it must be very clear in advertising that the product is Eco.
Stirk: yes quality is always very important but sometime budget makes you choose a lesser quality, if the Eco product is more expensive but lesser quality I'd choose the non Eco product.
Stirk: no, the fairies do it for me.
Stirk: I care because my children and others children need to live in this world after I am gone.
Stirk: I have never been influenced by anyone :behindsofa:

I am not trying to be a hippy and force a message. I am just after some opinions and thoughts.

Brief replies inline above.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
answers inside your question text

Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc) 36

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment? Yes

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB? Yes

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product? Yes but not always.

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related? Yes if possible but too few are

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy? ENvironmentally friendly

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase? Depends on purpose

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why? Yes

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject? Yes

Thanks to everyone willing to participate

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc) 29, but I act like 21 and feel like 50

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment? Yes

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB? Yes, definitely.

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product? Yes, like as in spend a few extra dollars, but not going to Brunswick.

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related? No. MTB performance first.

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy? Enviro

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase? Yes

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why? Yes, because we are pretty lucky to get free trails here that are good.

Q9. If you don't care at all, why? NA

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject? Yes. I hang with hippies.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
1. 60 yo yes a fossil.
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.yes but a bit skeptical usually try to recycle hence buy less + 2nd hand.
5.Show me an especially environmentally friendly mtbike product? Bikes in general are.
6. Enviro esp food , cars, electricity
7.Quality is everything
8.Yes I build tracks + help maintain them.
9 N/A
10. Yes

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt

40-50

Shityeah. As a human too.

Yes, without a healthy environment business of all kinds suffers.

Yes, if it actually environmentally friendly and I can afford it. This comes in all sorts of ways - for example more or less local foods, less packaging, as high quality stuff as I can afford so I buy less numbers of things.

See Q4. If the claims on a sticker are justifiable, and there are no unintended side effects my limited analytical ability can forsee. Basically just as little stuff as possible, and keep things alive for a long time.

The hippy option. I guess some people would choose earthfucker brand over earthunfucker brand, but thats kind of sociopathinc...

A complicated solution based on quality, cost, earthfuckingness

Have in the past, will in the future. Right now the kids/PhD/work cocktail is already overload. Why? because it's fun and rewarding.

because I'm drunk and nihilistic. Or it's 2am and I'm still trying to solve some freaking computational issue.

Yes.

No worries!

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc)-17

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment?-No

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB? -No

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product?-No

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related?-No

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy?-Yes, but nothing I buy has an option like that

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase? - Depends on the item, and amount of money I have at the time (quality usually= more $)

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why? - Yes, it is fun, and it keeps the trails fun

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject? - No

4dabush

Likes Dirt

yes, if not we'll all end up roadies
yes but the links aren't strong. Half the reason mtb riding is so [COLOR=[/COLOR]popular is that we do it in nature
If a product of similar quality/price is available, yes

not yet...love NZO's work but don't own any of their gear - yet
see q4

no, price v quality v fit for purpose. Eg I'll buy xt over xtr as I can't justify xtr prices.

1-2 hours per week. Because I like my trails rideable and in our environment our trails can literally disappear without upkeep. I also like to make sure they are sustainable, so water drainage lines etc are maintained

no

10 characters

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
11 replies, 9 trail workers. The real ratio would be closer to 200-1000 who do no trail work for every one who ever has even once. Perhaps this sample group is not representative?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Bicycles aren't petrol driven, the environmentality of it pretty much stops there unfortunately.
There's some environmental lubes and brands like Chris King that do some good stuff, but the fact they're being shipped from the other side of the world probably negates that. Ideally we'd buy Aussie, but what is there, Chunked and some steel hardtail frames available? Buy Chunked stuff for sure, it's good kit.
The big brands are too greedy and there's not enough profit incentive by greeny buyers to warrant much more effort to be green. Most bike shops don't even recycle their metal, some not even the tons of packaging that comes with new bikes. Buy durable shit that will last, buy logical shit that will do what it should, that's what I try and do. Buy used if you can, some killer bargains out there. and remember, even the shittest bike is fun, rail the shit outta that bad boy, who cares if your fastest. Sorry if my rant didn't help, LOL. Unnecessary consumerism is my obese pet hate.
Whoops, missed the questionnaire.
Q1. Hello, 43.

Q2. As a Human I feel it's important to protect the environment!

Q3. Depends how you define healthy. From a Corperate perspective, NO.

Q4. Yep, nearly without fail.

Q.5 As above.

Q6. It's a given.

Q7. Not sure of the question, pretty broad.

Q8. Yes, because others are lazy and to prevent erosion for many reasons, some political.

Q9.

Q10. Nope. We live in pretty much the least environmentally conscious country on earth, that WILL influence what everyone says, weather they think it or not IMO. You're not going to get too many environmentally caring answers. Perhaps post the same questions on forums worldwide as a global experiment.
Agree with NSM above entirely, except the bit about age, I'm 58.

11 replies, 9 trail workers. The real ratio would be closer to 200-1000 who do no trail work for every one who ever has even once. Perhaps this sample group is not representative?
A valid issue to be factored. Also Q8 probably needs some definition. A bit pedantic but, there is a difference between trail building and maintenance (some get this confused), let alone the suitability/sustainability of the work undertaken (given you seem to be seeking environmental perspectives and influence on marketing).

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Q1. Age bracket? (10-20, etc) 50-60

Q2. As a mountain biker do you feel it's important to protect the environment? Y

Q3. Do you believe a healthy environment leads to healthy business in MTB? Y

Q4. Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly product? Y

Q.5 Do you go out your way to buy environmentally friendly products if it's MTB related? Y

Q6. If there were 2 products of exact same quality and price but one was environmentally friendly, which would you buy? Enviro

Q7. Is quality of the utmost importance when deciding on a purchase? Y

Q8. Do you perform trail maintenance? Why? Y, to stop deterioration of track.

Q9. If you don't care at all, why? NA

Q10. Does your social group influence your choice/views on the subject? Y

10 Char...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Q1 - 40-50
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. No
6. Random
7. No
8. Yes, paying back for the trails I use
9 don't care about what?
10 no

Comment - environmentally friendly product is almost always a marketing gimmick - the most environmentally friendly product is the one that lasts the longest and is made of the best materials

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Public poll? Who wants to answer that one that I don't care? So they don't reply to the thread

OR........ Rotorburners are more likely to help with trails as they are a bit more committed.

Fwiw, my hours are at best 4 hours every couple of months, but I have succeeded in dragging others in my riding group to trail days

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I rolled over it a few times to keep the surface packed...I moved a few sticks that were in my way...once I moved a rock.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd say most of us do. But you're probably thinking about the regulars. Could be once a year vs once a fortnight - both would andswer yes. Question is poorly worded.