MTB Coaches??

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
Is there such thing as a mountainbike coach?? I was thinking about it yesterday and then i thought thats just stupit as if. But then i realised there are Soccor coaches, running coaches, surfing coaches, snowboarding coaches, most sports do have coaches. But can you hire downhill coaches to help you learn ride. I'd love to do that if i could. Even if there were amature guys that teach or would teach. I know it sounds kinda stupit and over the top but i mean i dont see why not have mountainbike coaches. It's a sport. I know the admins dont like Advertising as such on the forums cause it can be unfair so if you know anyone that does it or would do it plese pm me. Thanks guys.

Fkahb

Likes Dirt
Most clubs have coaches, either qualified or otherwise. CA have a coaches accreditation program which is Nationally recognised. MTBA is looking at developing accreditationp programs as well. If you join a club, look for one that has coaches.

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
Easiest way is to just go out riding with pepole with experience and go by them. I know its sounds stupid but my little brother has proved it. He goes riding with some guys at redhill, and hes better than me and my older brother at jumping. Not the size aspect, but the stunt aspect, and hes only been riding for 10 months tops. Ive been riding little over 4 years. I learnt by visual representation when i first started and that helped a bit.(i.e. watching a whole heap of MTB vids like the disorders), and riding heaps of coarse.

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but is there anyone you can actually learn off?? Like that Scott Sharples guy can youlike book lessons with him or somthin does any one do that kinda thing. I ride for the The D-agualliar Range Cycling Club and they have a level 1 i think coach but there's no talk about being able to like book lessons or anything with him.

Jebus

Pro Rider
scott sharples is the Jr world team coach so the only way im preety sure is to make it to jr team i guess, but u can only teach ur self to ride ride for fun and enjoy it, ride with fast friends etc, make ur self faster, its free and its more fun, you do it ur own way. scott is for fitness and ways to get ur skills up like little things, training should include DH, cross country rides, BMX, and some gym work for strength, from a letter from sharples.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TJumper said:
Yeah but is there anyone you can actually learn off?? Like that Scott Sharples guy can youlike book lessons with him
I honestly don't know if he does private lessons , I just posted him as an example of a DH coach.
He coaches the Aus. DH team so his credentials are outstanding!

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i just thought it was a bit werind ause i mean most sports have coaches.

Jordy

RYD4LF
just get out and ride with some really fast guys... I have been riding with Ryan lennox and Amiel Cavalier a few times... Ryan sorta coaches me in a way, he shows me his lines and stuff when we do runs...im sure you could hook up and do some runs with some really fast guys, ya might even be able to pm jared or lindsay and ask them if they could help you out

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah and if your ever at whistler the is bike camps there where Shandro, Schley, Bourdon, Vanderham, Collindridge, Watson, Simmons coach you in various styles and various lenghts af camps

kiwi

Likes Dirt
i have a coach for dh, not so much for skills but he helps me out with all my training, sponsors, etc.

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
The thing that CA has is prolly very similar to what we have in canada... I'm actually doing that stuff right now, although there isn't a program for DH, there is for road and for "off-road" so like xc basically. Here you have 5 levels, each with 3 parts - theory, technical, practical. I did a provincial course that was for Ontario MTB Instructor... but i think that the closest thing that you can get to really coaching is to get a job guiding or working at a kids camp that has biking... that's where i started at least. :)

Follow up with CA. I dunno if you guys do summer camps but if ya do, you prolly won't get paid tons, but it's fun... you can also go do things like instructor training at thredbo or wherever and just get a feel & more background experience that might help ya get those kinda jobs.

I don't know anything about Aussie certifications but i hope that helped in some way!