MTB cops

mattyd

Likes Dirt
I was riding to work this morning and I saw a mountain bike cop riding along the footpath, he was not looking to skilled on a bike more like an old lady meandering along. He looked like he would be easy to outrun.
Does anyone know if they give these guys any training like how to bunny hop a gutter or ride down stairs?
I don't know how the guy I saw would keep up with a kid 5 year old on a BMX let alone a super fast bike courier.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I relish the day an MTB cop trys to chase me down, one on one, mono e mono

(see what I did there?? did ya?)

Inverted

Likes Dirt
mattyd said:
I was riding to work this morning and I saw a mountain bike cop riding along the footpath, he was not looking to skilled on a bike more like an old lady meandering along. He looked like he would be easy to outrun.
Does anyone know if they give these guys any training like how to bunny hop a gutter or ride down stairs?
I don't know how the guy I saw would keep up with a kid 5 year old on a BMX let alone a super fast bike courier.
Could be a new job option, you could even wear your lycra.

I herd there in traing to huck big stair gaps, not.

mattyd

Likes Dirt
How about a new mtb cop theme song.

Bad boys, bad boys watcha gonna do
watcha gonna do when your chain comes loose.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mattyd said:
That's not their job - they are basically doing the same job as cops walking around, just keeping an eye on things, being around the public, etc. If something really needs to be done they call in a patrol car.

The bikes the NSW cops are on aren't really cut out for a high speed bike chase anyway - the frame is a generic Alu hardtail, painted pearl white with Police stickers (placed carefully by hand here in Sydney), with a cheap suspension fork, and Alivio-level drivetrain. They then whack on a steel rack with a heavish bag (with tools, pump, lights/batteries). The bike ends up weighing a fair bit.

dilemma

girl+bike
Don't know about that particular cop but they do have a new training facility and train groups of about 20 cops at a time. They've had a whole heap of new bikes spread throughout the state. The actual training they do is pretty cool, I saw the new training facility, but I don't think that all of the cops at every station that got the new bikes would have done this training yet. I know for a fact that they've got some 4x and dh guys who did the training.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Have a look in the latest AMB it has a article on the cops, some of them race so you better hope you don't get one of them!

wtr

Likes Dirt
mattyd said:
How about a new mtb cop theme song.

Bad boys, bad boys watcha gonna do
watcha gonna do when your chain comes loose.
:D Nice one man. :)

But still, you'll never know, the guy next to you on a group ride might turn out to be an off-duty officer...:eek:

scratchy

Farkin Activist
wtr said:
:D Nice one man. :)

But still, you'll never know, the guy next to you on a group ride might turn out to be an off-duty officer...:eek:
It's happened to me. Man he was fast. The reality is though if there are more boys in blue riding bikes recreationally/professionally it will ultimately be for the best for all riders. (the might start taking bike theft seriously for a start!)

tnankie

Likes Dirt
im looking forward to the day when im comuting a car does something stupid then the cop behind me takes his number and then his license...might never happen but a boy can dream

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
we got one guy down at hornsby police station who rides DH, comes into the shop time to time. im ready to take him on, lol.
if they cant keep up, its out with the gun and away with ur nice tires.

dmwill

Likes Dirt
About a year or two ago I was out in the city and there was a group of 15 people all on the same bikes...some upmarket XC GTfrom memory leading the group were two cops in sport uniform, light blue polo top with police badjes. I spent about half an hour watching these two cops teach the group how to do monos and ride down stairs...obviously there is some training. Depends where you are I guess. The thought has crossed my mind of one of them chasing me...see if they follow me down a stair gap with their huge ass panniers.

Speaking of police bikes, have you see the latest issue of MBUK? Some cops the the UK ride custom built XC Santa Cruz's! :D

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
yeh there is a training camp for the bike cops.well n.s.w cops anyway. Its actually pretty in depth for urban riding. My neighbour is a cop and he often does the bike shift. He's told me that the training includes basically how to ride down stairs, ride through, around etc obstacles. they also teach them how to stop abrubtly and thow to ride through a crowd.how to dismount quikly at a situation too. oh yeh they also teach them how to fall properly, shouldn't be there if they r gonna fall tho.

hope it helps.

cheers, benny.

dmwill

Likes Dirt
How to dismount quickly...jump off and let the bike fall, it's not yours, doesn't matter if it gets damaged! :D

Rik

logged out
I'd love to take on a bike cop for the sake of it... but that'd just be a petty rebellion against authority, so I won't bother doing so even if the opportunity does arise. Be careful about picking your target, some of them are damn fast, I know a few decent roadies and XC'ers that are in the force on bikes, you might be able to hcukz0r down some stairs, but they'll get you with outright speed.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
some of the NSW coppers ride some shoguns with police decals. not the greatest bike but meh, it does the job. on an interesting side note, KHS actually make a purpose built police bike. wonder if they know abou these?

Rik

logged out
I'd love to see cops rockin' it with Aerospoke wheels. Then I'd race them... for their bike! :D

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what they going to do it they do get up next to u?
if they push u over,i would be sueing,because thats using un due force & they will end up falling over any way so what would the point be?
im interested

Matt J

Likes Bikes
It doesn't matter how much training they have they still have know chance of catching most people hahaha