MTB etc around Mt Beauty for a couple of old piss sops

DeBloot

Feeling old
For our annual sales meeting the owner of the company and I go for a 4 night trip somewhere relaxing with a lot of things to do
The only time we can make it this year is mid November so our original plan of Buller is canned (too early)

We've done Thredbo to death, so now looking at staying in Mt Beauty and exploring the area around there
It seems like there are a lot of options within an hour or so as well (Beechworth, Bright, Falls Creek)
So I thought I would seek a bit of advice to help with the riding (even serious bushwalk) itinerary

The boss has a 5 inch trail bike and reasonable technical skills for an old fuck
Unfortunately he yelps like a bitch when the trail points upwards and it's worse when hungover
And we will always be hungover

I would prefer not to travel as my bike has a bad rear shock placement for his bike rack
But if it can keep us entertained for a day, then within an hour and a bit is good
Which of the other 3 is the closest to what we are looking for?

So any suggestions of some fun and challenging riding on trails that are easy to follow so we can just ride without getting too lost
Also any full day walks with a moderately challenging component and a killer alpine view as a reward

hoppy2

Likes Bikes
The riding in Mt Beauty itself is great, with the Big Hill bike park a few hundred metres from the centre of town. That said, it's on the side of Big Hill, so the tracks are either up or down.

Bright is close by, awesome riding, mostly in pine plantation but takes a bit of exploring or local knowledge.

Beechworth is a much smaller bike park, but it's very well signed and easy to follow. It would only keep you entertained for a few hours.

I'm not sure how much work has been done at Falls Creek, but last summer there were minimal trails, and they were still loose. There is some nice MTB touring up there, on 4wd track out to huts etc.

T-Rex

Template denier
A big +1 for Bright, plenty of nice riding, you don't have to climb too far up those big hills, and the Bright Brewery is within easy reach of the trails. It's on the list of venues for the upcoming House of Rex Road Trip.

slowmick

38-39"
Mt Beauty is great fun with Big Hill Mountain Bike Park but there is a lot of earning your downhills. you can download maps from the net. we go there each year in January. best i can do with christmas weight is 4 laps before breakfast. there is massive amounts of trails so it's easy to get lost. up side is your can ride each day and not get bored. Has a small brewery.

Bright there is cool single track around the river that requires no climbing. There is a lot more trails with hill in the pine plantation. not sure about the maps. Has a larger brewery.

Bright might be a better place to stay if you will be there for a few days and only doing half days of riding. it is a bigger town that might keep you more entertained.

Beechworth has the mountain bike park which is pretty flat but the cross country loop has a long slow climb back to the car park. Not a lot of height gain but drawn out. a couple of laps is enough if you can do it on your trip to or from your main venue. Also has a brewery.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Sounds like Mt Beauty is the spot to base most of our riding
Head out to Beechworth for a morning before exploring some breweries
And Bright if we're up for an MTB explore

Spinner, that walk looks great and just what we are after
We have daylight saving on our side and doesn't matter how long it takes us
Don't know if I would have found that one otherwise :thumb:

This info is excellent - thanks

OT

Likes Dirt
Rocky Mountain bikes on Mt Bogong

http://www.weekendnotes.com/staircase-spur-walk-mt-bogong/

Probably more challenging than you were after but the reward box will be well and truly ticked.
The staircase up mt bogong is the hardest walk I've ever done, I was carrying a 30 kg pack with board attached though. It starts at 600m and tops out at 1986m. The better way up is to drive to camp creek and go up the eskdale spur, starts at 1100m. Spectacular views up top and there probably will still be some snow in the gullies. I was coming down eskdale last Saturday after a week of skiing and past a guy carry a Rocky Mountain dually up with a 5 man camera crew in tow to do a promo vid. It's illegal to ride a bike up there but it also wouldn't be much fun as there aren't any rideable trails up top. Riding down eskdale would be bloody hard and dangerous for anyone coming up carrying a heavy pack! Not really a good promotion of mtb, especially if vic parks see the vid.

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Speaking of the high country, anyone have recommendations on accom around the Beauty/Bright area. Looking for a 2bd house or similar.

Ideate

Falls have a fun down hill track down summit. A company run shuttles up there. Also a bloke that runs shuttles in beauty. $300 or so for the day which is worth it when you've got 4 or 5 of you. Plenty places to stay just depends how close you want to be to the tav'

Anyone know of any single track at Mt Buffalo? We're camping up there for cup weekend, is it worth me taking the beast?? (Not the Mrs, the bike, unfortunately the Mrs isn't optional!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Beechworth's brewery does way better beer and pizza, so have lunch there. Their MTB park is pretty technical and rocky, and 2 full laps should leave you puffing.

At Bright most of the fun stuff is in and around Mystic bowl - lots of linked single track through the pines and even a DH run if you're keen. I'm a semi-local there so let me know if you need more info'. Mystic is where the paragliding launch is, on the road to Wandiligong.

Cam

Better still, come up the hill for a tandem ( paragliding!)