MTB helmet/neck brace compatibility

kanemb

Likes Dirt
Hey all just wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. I wear a leatte neck brace, have for years since they first came out when i used to ride motos, it works great with my mx helmet but shit house with my giro mtb helmet. The problem is the front section of the helmet which protrudes out past the jaw is to far forward and not deep enough to hit the neck brace so instead of the helmet hitting the neck brace and restricting you neck movement your chin hits it. i know its a bit of a common problem with mtb specific helmets and neck braces, but i was wondering if anyone has used a particular brand of helmet which works well with a neck brace. The new TLD d3 look to have a similar profile to a mx helmet i was thinking perhaps these might be the go, but anyway if anyone has had success any info would be much appreciated. cheers

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember reading somewhere when the D3 came out that one of the things they aimed to do with it was make it more compatible with a leatt brace. That being said you could always just use a normal moto helmet if you wanted. Sure it's a bit heavier but that's extra protection so would be worth the trade off.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Sides - eg. under the ears area.

It was in AMB a few months ago...

I have like 2.8km front to back, and its still not enough to be comfy.

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
So if it has more it won't function properly?
Maybe for a direct compression impact, but it'll still work perfectly fine for all other types of hits

Shredden

Knows his goats
So if it has more it won't function properly?
Maybe for a direct compression impact, but it'll still work perfectly fine for all other types of hits
Yes, 20mm is the amount of spinal compression that needs to occur for a serious spinal injury to happen.

If you believe alpinestars, side-to-side and back-to-front impacts are dealt with by neck muscles - these impacts only cause whiplash.

It is axial loading (direct impacts) that do the harm eg. headplant into upramp, tree, small child etc.

Staunch

Eats Squid
If you believe alpinestars, side-to-side and back-to-front impacts are dealt with by neck muscles - these impacts only cause whiplash.
Being mates with a couple of people who have broken their necks, I can easily say that this is the biggest load of bullshit out.

Last edited:

dilstubs

Likes Dirt
The solution is simple - dont buy an alpinestars neckbrace :)
Not a great solution...I own an Alpine stars neckbrace and it's comfortable, crashed a lot of times OTB on it and it's held up very well, the information may be incorrect...But the braces are fucking good.

kanemb

Likes Dirt
helmt/brace

Cheers for the words of advice, i did 3 vertebra in my back 2 years ago, i was wearing my full face (which probably kept me out of a wheel chair) but not my brace, this was a head plant from the top of a car i was trying to jump/manual over. I reckon saying that forward/backward movement only causes whip lash is a total crock of shit. Because my hit was spare on top of my head i don know if the brace would have helped. I have thought about just using my moto lid, i might revert back to moto style until i buy a helmet which is leatte compatible.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Your neck brace should protect against extensive side forward or back movement, it is wrong to say these ONLY cause whiplash as this is not true, although whiplash is the most common injury through extensive side forward and backwards there is still the chance to cause serious damage, however majority of the time according to AMB compressive injuries are the most common way for a serious Injury to occur. Your neck Brace needs to protect against compressors injuries allowing no more than 15-20mm of compressive Movement(In AMB) from what I have gathered in research the alpine's don't protect Against a particular movement that the Leatt does, I personal found that the Leatt has a much better reputation for protecting the rider. Many people choose alpine because it allows more movement which is not always a good thing in a crash.
The article that details injuries and the movement allowance is in a recent AMB mag. I would highly suggest to get a read. The D2 helmets offer too much clearance with the brace however AMB stated that the D3 and more moto style helmets will be more compatible (just check) of course wearing a neck brace alpine or Leatt and any helmet is still going to offer protection but the degree and type of protection they offer could vary.
It's Important to wear the brace no matter what helmet you run but deffinatly having the most protection is ideal. I'm still using a D2 currently and will be getting the D3 soon.

Last edited: