MTB Holiday in Aus

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Got a week off in June...planning a solid week of mountain-biking with the missus somewhere in Aus.
Looking for suggestions of where would be the best destinations in terms of trail numbers, variety, and quality. Mainly do XC and AM riding.
Keen to explore a new area with LOTS of trails to conquer over a week.
Happy to travel between a few destinations if they are close to each other.
Ive been looking at Melrose in Flinders ranges and Forrest.
Any other suggestions?

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Snowys. Stay in Jindabyne and you can ride good trails from East jindy into town, there are heaps of trails around the lake foreshore for cruisy stuff, plus lift accessed at Thredbo (you need full face and have to do a course with the local guides to be able to use the lift). Up there is a UCI level DH course, plus other trails accessing the main range. Halfway between Jindy and Thredbo there are a lot of newer trails in the Lake Crackenback area and if all that runs out try a ride from Island Bend over the main range to Geehi, but you will need a ride back out. Needless to say, a car is going to be a must.

Oh bugger - June - count out Thredbo and the main range due to snow.

How about plane to Townsville, ferry to Magnetic Island. Trails are mixed use, really not a true MTB experience, but the weather would be fabulous, the Horseshoe Bay pub is a good pitstop and there are really good trails in the Townsville area on the mainland.

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I would think riding in June would count the Snowy's out - :rolleyes:

I would suggest coming south from sydney - Wingello, Canberra (Stromlo, Majura, Kowen and Sparrow), Mogo, Bermagui, Tarthra, Nowra, the Gong. That would be a pretty full week with some solid riding

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would suggest coming south from sydney - Wingello, Canberra (Stromlo, Majura, Kowen and Sparrow), Mogo, Bermagui, Tarthra, Nowra, the Gong. That would be a pretty full week with some solid riding
Can't argue with this, but another location is the Blue Mountains west of Sydney... lots of riding from single track to out of the way fire trails. Between Yarramundi out west to Lidsdale there is a heap to ride. Only thing is you would probably need to meet up with some local riders to be guided on some of the stuff.

WasabiJim

Likes Bikes
google mt beauty in vicortia.
i forget the name of the town but down that way a few are marketing themselves as mtb tourist destinations. the locals have built trails that cross national parks and local properites just to attract riders and business. i'm not sure if the winter will be a problem for that time.

If you hire a car. I recommend SE qld (even tho i'm a local). I'm on the south side of brisbane and within an hours drive we have Daisy Hill & Gap Creek (both rated at top distinations by MBA) Nerang, Ipswitch, Mt Tamboorine plus more on the northside that i'm not familar with. Its the dry season too, so clear sunny days that arent too cold nor too hot.

Jimass

Eats Squid
^^^ Mount beauty is the name of the town.

It's be pretty cold up there, but on a nice day it's fine.

Hell at the last VSS race you could see dozens of XC tracks on the way back up.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the suggestions.
I should have mentioned I am from Perth but have never ridden in other states.
I ride cross country and all mountain.
Keen to explore a new area with a varety of trails over 1 or 2 weeks.

I will research all the suggestions above.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Tasmania or Canberra. Probably the two best AM/XC destinations i can think of. Easy access to the trails and a pretty relaxed atmosphere. I've also heard good things about Radelaide.

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
Melrose is good. What about coming up for the Fat Tyre Festival over Queens B'day weekend?!

Plenty of riding at Melrose for a few days, then head up to the Flinders Ranges themselves for a few other rides. There's plenty of good riding around Adelaide for a few days too if you know where to go....