MTB in Iceland

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Hello,
It's a bit of a long shot but that's what I thought when I asked about Peru/Bolivia last time and got some great replies.
Has anyone done much MTB in Iceland? I'm hoping to be there early August and trying to decide how much time I need. I might be happy to just do a day or two of riding unless there are compelling reasons to do more. Also, it's ridiculously expensive, would it be worth hiring a better bike in Denmark and taking it over?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
The recent issue (May 2010, Issue 108) of Australian Mountain Bike magazine has a feature on mountain biking in Iceland that seems pretty comprehensive and unique. You might still be able to pick up a copy from your local newsagent or MTB shop before Issue 109 comes out within the next week...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello,
It's a bit of a long shot but that's what I thought when I asked about Peru/Bolivia last time and got some great replies.
Has anyone done much MTB in Iceland? I'm hoping to be there early August and trying to decide how much time I need. I might be happy to just do a day or two of riding unless there are compelling reasons to do more. Also, it's ridiculously expensive, would it be worth hiring a better bike in Denmark and taking it over?
Iceland is pretty freaking awesome for riding! Just have to do some driving to find some of the really awesome stuff, there is an amazing bike shop in Reykjavik who can point you in a decent direction, I also fluked getting a wicked super jeep driver who knew all about DH and instead of going on the tour I payed for we went around to some of the tracks instead haha. If you want close to town there is a large shaley type hill about 15 mins drive out of Reykjavik, they have 4wd hill climb comps on the hill, and its a fantastic view from the top, however there is also some amazing riding there, I met a guy on an Intense there who was kind enough to show me around, some of the tracks were a bit of a pain to find, so if you can try and get some directions from someone local. If you want to really get your hike a bike on you can head to the west and go to Ísafjörður, if you want to fly in with Air Iceland I suggest taking some spare jocks, the approach was freaking stupid! There are some tracks there but they require a super jeep to reach, if you want to do a nice trip you can head down past Vik and you begin to head towards some of the larger volcanoes which provide some good hills. I am going ot stop right now as I just noticed the forum this is in, and begin down a different track, I shall however leave all of this up as it still might be useful

XC/Endure in Iceland, same rule applies the shop in Reykjavik is awesome, they're stilla nice stop off :), I also suggest the Reykjavik MTB club, I foudn they were much more XC/AM oriented which left me a little lost as I knew there was DH there (hense the paragraph above). I am led ot understand that there is great XC out around Þingvallavatn and all the way through to wards Geysir. Again if you head down to Vik there is a hiking trail along one of the rivers which flow from Gullfoss and ends at Skógafoss, I was informed if you fancied your fitness and skill level it is rideable but would take a few days to complete. If you head north from Reykjavik towards Akranes you will end up in Hvalfjörður though I didn't explore this fjord much I am sure there is some nice riding in it! I camped out here to see the northern lights and it was well worth it. I also ended up at a place I cannot remember the name of, little town had an awesome church, there was some really nice riding around there, simple trails that followed some of the rivers down, it had some amazing waterfalls along the trails, truley stunning scenery.

Bikes, are they expensive... well yeah, but so is everything in Iceland when your from Australia, who are you planning on flying in with? Icelandair are pretty friendly with bikes if your friendly about the process, I don't know from experience, it was purely through asking questions. I personally didn't see too many fantastic hire bikes, if I did they were rather expensive, some of teh DH bikes were around 80,000 kr for an hr (thats about $75 AUD), I didn't really look into XC ones though, someone I met had a few sitting in teh shed so I used thiers. I don't have a load on the XC stuff sorry, as I was doing DH mainly but I guess any info is useful info! :)

Here are some places I got to purely on a bike, and my camp out shot :)

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^^^

is why this forum is awesome.
How good is the sharing?!?!

Nice work - very jealous.
Haha! Iceland is the nicest place on the face of this planet and its why I love it so much, I'll try and get some images relevant to the places I was speaking of up :)

*EDIT*
K, I'm back with relevant pictures, I shall just leave small captions or I'll rant and babble until eternity comes to a halt

Between Dyrhólaey and Vik Ok, so i'm standing on the Beach here, see all those hills in the background all the way to the snow, there are basic hiking trails all the way to the horizon, by basic I mean fairly easy to walk with nothing overly exhausting, these can all be done on a XC mountain bike, though I suggest a softtail as they can create a bit of an ass pounding. They have a hiking loop which they say takes around 6-8 days to complete, I'm unsure how nasty it gets up in the hills, I only did a couple of days and came back, but from what I did it was all quite reasonable if you had a mid-high bike control level and you were fairly fit. For a bigger pic click here

Some waterfalls at a place I can't remember the name of Well you can get to these guys by a car as well, sealed road all the way to them, but its soo much more fun to come through the back way, its bloody slippery and you have to hope it doesn't just decide to snow its ass off on you, but I would assume in the dry its beyond enjoyable, I was concentrating so hard on not dying I couldn't really take in the fantastic views, but it is good fun, seriously rocky and you end up on the edge of some serious canyons, very hard track, I would say must have dually, I can't image how I would of gone on HT XC, I had a 6" dually. I drove out the otherside just for the record, these falls are about 5hrs out of Reykjavik to the north/NE.

This is the hill just out of Reykjavik I was talking about, as you can see from the second Pano there is a large lake which has summer houses dotted all around it and it has some very relaxing XC trails around it, the trails reminded me very much of the witches trails at Ft william. For larger second shot click here

Skogafoss I won't lie, I drove here, its in the middle of no where but its on the way to Vik, I didn't ride the trail I was talking about but I walked it for around 6hrs or so, its a great trail for walking and I can imagine as people mentioned to me it'd be great fun riding, this shot is the water fall at the end of it all, quite a magnificent sight, especially when the weather is right, the trail is to the top right (you can't see it) you have to walk up about 300 stairs and jump a little fence and your away =), the waterfalls that you see seriously blow your mind, they are some of teh most beautiful falls I have seen in my life. Here is a link to Skogafoss in Google maps, follow the river and you'll see what i mean about the amount of waterfalls etc, there is a small goats trail all the way along pretty much. Google Maps Link

Last edited:

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Iceland is on my list of MTB destinations I HAVE to ride...

Those pics just make me all the more envious...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Iceland is on my list of MTB destinations I HAVE to ride...

Those pics just make me all the more envious...
There's more now, I could honestly type pages and pages and pages about my Iceland experiences and the reason that someone in Iceland currently has my application for residency.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This will be my last post, I promise, unless there is questions, these are some shots taken along the waterfall trails, riding in snow is a pain in the ass, fact. Snow+rocks+rain is also a bad equation. Never the less, here are some more pics, I won't caption them as most of the time I was just happy to be alive.

It will be warmer when you go, so thats a bonus, it shouldn't snow unless you go reasonably high, it starts snowing around mid-late sept in southern Iceland, earlier the higher you go.

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Thanks a lot Karnige and others, I've always had an attraction to Iceland since travelling in Norway and enjoying that so much.
My plans are starting to crystallise a little more now, looks like I'll fly in late Saturday July 31st and fly out early Friday August 6th. That gives me 5 whole days to get around and it looks like that weekend is some sort of long weekend. That's not a lot of time, but I'm hoping to see as much as I can.

My inital plan is to get the car/accomodation deal offered by HI and do a lap of the Island. This may limit the amount of riding I can do. Are there places to hire bikes outside of Reykjavik? It also looks like I may be stuck with a base model hardtail so I suspect any rides will be more aimed at scenery rather than technical trail. Any suggestions given my limited time and resources?

I will also grab a copy of AMB, conincidentaly they ran an article on Peru just before I went there as well.

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
Duncan,

It's time I went back and visited the family!
Not sure I have the time this year though.... :(
cheers,
Snozza

Last edited:

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
A bit of an update and more questions.
I'm now bringing my own bike (XC hardtail) and I'll have 5 whole days in Iceland with a rental car. It's a compact so no option of any real off road driving.

I'd like to do a lap of the island but not sure how difficult that will be. I'd like to drive from spot to spot, grab the bike out of the back and do a few hours each day wherever I get the urge.

Should I attempt a whole lap? An out and back on the north coast or one on the south coast?
I'll be starting / finishing in Reykjavik. Looks like there's a good spattering of hostels around the rim.

A list of recommended places to stop would be awesome.
TIA.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of an update and more questions.
I'm now bringing my own bike (XC hardtail) and I'll have 5 whole days in Iceland with a rental car. It's a compact so no option of any real off road driving.

I'd like to do a lap of the island but not sure how difficult that will be. I'd like to drive from spot to spot, grab the bike out of the back and do a few hours each day wherever I get the urge.

Should I attempt a whole lap? An out and back on the north coast or one on the south coast?
I'll be starting / finishing in Reykjavik. Looks like there's a good spattering of hostels around the rim.

A list of recommended places to stop would be awesome.
TIA.
Quick reply is, doing a lap will be quite a push in 5 days, the island looks small, until you start running around it, I would say you could drive Iceland in 5 days, but you'd have to skip the wester fjords and you would have no time to venture in land much at all, the fact you want to ride a few hours every day will also limit you a bit. As a bit of a time gauge, to drive to Vik from Reykjavik (southern coast) looking at the interesting stuff, alafoss, skogafoss, some glaciers etc will take you around 4-5 hours, depending how long you look and how adventurous you are, to drive direct will probably take around 3 hours, give or take depending on weather etc, as the eruption has completely munted the roads down south as the glacier has a river that runs directly under the road you drive along (which by the way is now very missing, there is a large section of road gone). I'll try and complie a list of places I feel is worth stopping at for a look see and get back to you about that :)

Out of interest, has anyone else been to Iceland here?

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Gorgeous photos Karnige182.

I'm jealous DuncanFG, sitting as I am at the keyboard wearing my Icelandic jumper! Iceland is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to. I travelled a lap in summer 2008 with my family, and enjoyed every moment. No riding unfortunately, but I didn't plan on it anyway.

We had a self-drive deal with accommodation (through a company called Scantours) and a little diesel Toyota Auris - sort of a Yaris/Corolla sized thing. Petrol's a big cost so the diesel's 5L/100k was a bonus. We were on the road for 10 days, covered about 2,700km of scenic motoring with numerous stops and bushwalks to distant waterfalls along the way. There are plenty of waterfalls, believe me. You almost get blase about them by the end!

Still, our 10 days for an anti-clockwise loop was really just skimming. 5 days you'd really be pushing it. However, your summer timing means you can be riding without lights at midnight, no probs. It didn't really get dark while we were there (mid July) - especially in the north where you're just about on the Arctic Circle. If you've no non-biking loved ones to worry about, you should be able to manage it, and save the sleep for the flight home!

Places I loved, amongst the many - Skogafoss and Dyrhólaey, just west of Vik on the south coast; Jokulsarlon, further east - a lake filled with 'iceberglings' calved off the nearby glacier; all the eastern fjords south of Egilsstaðir; Seydisfjörður on the eastern edge - the port where ferries from the Faroe Islands and Scotland berth; the great Dettifoss waterfall near the Myvatn lake area - volcanic, hot mineral pools - you must make time to visit one of these. There's one called Myvatn Nature Baths near a small town called Reykjahlið, and it's less imposing than the famous Blue Lagoon south of Reykjavik, which we also visited. You feel incredible after a couple of hours soaking. A hard ride before hand and you'll deserve it. Just don't get a flat on the hot lava areas - I'm not kidding. Make sure you scrub up well before you take a dip in the baths. The locals are very strict about it, and rightly so in my opinion.

Further north there's an interesting tunnel to drive through between Dalvik and Olafsfjörður, but only if you have the time. We ran out of time to visit the western fjords which look on the map to be quite remote. As the southern road may still be cut, maybe you could try the western fjords and report back for us! Thanks.

Have a great trip, and post some happy snaps for the album. Hope they're as good as Karnige182's.

Cheers,

Sly

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gorgeous photos Karnige182.

I'm jealous DuncanFG, sitting as I am at the keyboard wearing my Icelandic jumper! Iceland is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to. I travelled a lap in summer 2008 with my family, and enjoyed every moment. No riding unfortunately, but I didn't plan on it anyway.

We had a self-drive deal with accommodation (through a company called Scantours) and a little diesel Toyota Auris - sort of a Yaris/Corolla sized thing. Petrol's a big cost so the diesel's 5L/100k was a bonus. We were on the road for 10 days, covered about 2,700km of scenic motoring with numerous stops and bushwalks to distant waterfalls along the way. There are plenty of waterfalls, believe me. You almost get blase about them by the end!

Still, our 10 days for an anti-clockwise loop was really just skimming. 5 days you'd really be pushing it. However, your summer timing means you can be riding without lights at midnight, no probs. It didn't really get dark while we were there (mid July) - especially in the north where you're just about on the Arctic Circle. If you've no non-biking loved ones to worry about, you should be able to manage it, and save the sleep for the flight home!

Places I loved, amongst the many - Skogafoss and Dyrhólaey, just west of Vik on the south coast; Jokulsarlon, further east - a lake filled with 'iceberglings' calved off the nearby glacier; all the eastern fjords south of Egilsstaðir; Seydisfjörður on the eastern edge - the port where ferries from the Faroe Islands and Scotland berth; the great Dettifoss waterfall near the Myvatn lake area - volcanic, hot mineral pools - you must make time to visit one of these. There's one called Myvatn Nature Baths near a small town called Reykjahlið, and it's less imposing than the famous Blue Lagoon south of Reykjavik, which we also visited. You feel incredible after a couple of hours soaking. A hard ride before hand and you'll deserve it. Just don't get a flat on the hot lava areas - I'm not kidding. Make sure you scrub up well before you take a dip in the baths. The locals are very strict about it, and rightly so in my opinion.

Further north there's an interesting tunnel to drive through between Dalvik and Olafsfjörður, but only if you have the time. We ran out of time to visit the western fjords which look on the map to be quite remote. As the southern road may still be cut, maybe you could try the western fjords and report back for us! Thanks.

Have a great trip, and post some happy snaps for the album. Hope they're as good as Karnige182's.

Cheers,

Sly
This is all wicked info :), I would have to agree with all of it, Dyrhólaey is amazing when a strom is rolling in, i also completely agree with waterfalls, though it seems hard to believe you do get sick of them by the end :p. I also suggest if you can, try and drive out to gulfoss and pinvellir, they're just sweet as places, and gulfoss is mind blowing, its just enormous. Also with the Blue lagoon and likes, i found that going to the local pool was a very similar feeling of relaxation without the strict rules and it was honestly 5x as fun, costs crap all to get in, and the water is still all geothermally heated. Allllllso, if you want a nice view of town head up the Pearl (its free :))

For any interested all pics from my Iceland adventure are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jason_stevens_photography/sets/72157623952551881/

*EDIT* IS storms are sick :)

View from the pearl (like 2 mins walk from BMI and Reykjavik airport (note, not keflavik))

Last edited:

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Oh, and I'll be doing a super-jeep trip next time I'm in Iceland. Just didn't have time last trip.

And another thing - the water coming straight out of the tap in Reykjavik is to die for - just pure. Seems like a small thing, but delicious. And much cheaper than the beer.

Again, super photos on your Flickr site Karnige182!

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, and I'll be doing a super-jeep trip next time I'm in Iceland. Just didn't have time last trip.

And another thing - the water coming straight out of the tap in Reykjavik is to die for - just pure. Seems like a small thing, but delicious. And much cheaper than the beer.

Again, super photos on your Flickr site Karnige182!
OMG! Beer is sooo expensive! And it really isn't that fantastic to be honest! Super jeeps are the goods! Especially when you make friends with people who like to go out and get theirs stuck in fresh snow haha, good memories. Cheers man.

Going to see the abandoned DC3 is worth doing, I just can't for the life of me remember where that was. If you can get your hands on Hiema by Sigur ros, that shows you some pretty sweet landscapes to visit, though its a music DVD its pretty darn awesome, optionally watch it on the plane, Icelandair has it in english and Icelandic (dunno how you go in the native language, I love speaking it, many don't and prefer english, which pretty much everyone speaks)