MTB in Tamworth

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is not much, but if your passing through or visiting and you want to ride...
hear are some places to enjoy instead of pedaling around the pavement.;)

Tamworth lookout:
You will probably be entering Tamworth in the following ways:

From Sydney- Follow Gunnagunno RD till you reach a roundabout with a service station. When this is in sight, turn right down a road which leads to hungry jacks and the tourist info center. Pass hungry Jacks and keep going straight through a roundabout passing red rooster (which should be on your left). Keep going straight, and you should come to the base of a very large hill. This is the lookout... Follow the road to the top. There are all sorts of trails everywhere which are hard to describe, but a major one is located at the top of a fire trail that is visible from the parking area , go up that and search around the water tank for a trail opening.

From Armidale-As you enter the Eastern Part of Tamworth, turn left into a road that takes you to TAFE, turn left up past TAFE and you will pass the high school. Turn right and then left into a road full of peppercorn trees, this will take you to a sign saying Marsupial park turn into it and follow up to parking spot. Then push bikes up the highly visible walking trail till you find the DH trail. It is pretty obvious to experienced MTB 'ers.
NOTE: Gate may be shut to Marsupial park Don't worry, park the vehicle and push up the end of the DH trail which ends about 15 meters back from the gate.

For MTB'ing In oxley vale, Grab a free Map from the tourist info center, this will show you where Oxley vale is, Turn up Lemon Gums drive and head straight up, till you see a gully and the start of a reserve, drive up the dirt driveway and park closest to gully as possible because there are people living in houses that might be a little angry if you get to close for to long. Push up the small trail that goes along the edge of a gully, you will reach a gate, go thru and look to ure left, you should see a North shore trail winding through the trees, or you can go straight ahead and loose yourself in the endless trails that are available in the hills there.

Bike repairs:
These are done best by Tamworth Bicycles, they are located in Peel street. (The main street in town). Or buy yourselves.

Hope this helps when visiting Tamworth.

P.S- If there is any improvements i can make to this thread then don't hesitate to tell me.
Thankyou.:)

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
probably isnt that smart of an idea to give exact details of these track chief

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
I understant what your getting at though as long as there is no Shore on them; politics is non existent really.;)
aw i wouldnt say that mayo,
Its a great idear, for it benifits me.
Hey "bushpig" my father used to live in wollongong ( where i am situated) however he recently moved to tamworth. During the 3 week break i am staying up there for around a week. Plus im bringing my bike:cool:
Thanks heaps for the detailed info on were the tracks are, for prior to reading this thread i didnt think there were any worth while tracks in tamworth, i thought armadale would be the closest decent track around the area.
Anyway i look forward to rideing these tracks

Cheers Matt:cool:

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i used to live in tamworth and i never knew of these tracks well i guess i didn't;t ride that much back then though

digger

Likes Dirt
back in the day when SPD's were a new development there was also a few single tracks out along daruka road, and a private property bounded by daruka & forest roads although i noticed last time I drove past this area was now fenced off. A good epic is out of town towards moore creek, moonbi gap, new england gully road then back down to the end of moore creek road via moore creek dam and the lynchwood scout camp. don't know about legit trail access, in the late 80's a few kids on bikes prety much anywhere went largely unnoticed. you can also try attunga state forest. another fire trail from sterling road more creek loops up along the ridge to the end of new england gully road and can connect up with attunga state forest, again check for access.

when shopping don't rule out the other bike shop at southgate shopping centre run by kevin bartlett.

happy riding in the country music capital, my old stomping ground, yehaaw!

Tye

Likes Dirt
Is the DH trail you speak of THE DH trail, ie, used for racing. Or is it just A DH trail?

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
Since i live in oxley vale, i checked out this spot. Only walked them but look good, the ns stuff doesnt look like its been ridden for a while and one of them is a pretty decent drop-off! The trails go on forever and dont look regularly used (heaps of roo shite on them). Might take the shore there next friday.

Looks like some gold bushpig, so please descretion with your mates and looking after it and not shittting the locals when you enter or leave should have us a spot thats prime! Pm me anyone who is interested in a ride!