MTB iphone app

Pork Chop

Likes Bikes
Hey peeps,

Can any recommend, or even verify if one exists, a GPS style app for iOS?

I know there are a few logging and record keeping apps (Strava, Map my ride, etc), but does there exist one which downloads maps and gives turn-by-turn (or indicative) information about your ride, which doesn't rely on a 3G/4G connection?

I used to have the Garmin 705 (or whatever it was) - I could simply plot my route on its PC software, upload to the GPS/Garmin unit and then ride. While riding, the unit would say turn left or right etc and take my on the route I had plotted. I could also upload other routes others had plotted.

Is there something similar iOS?

Thanks

Pork Chop

Likes Bikes
tomtom doesn't require cellular data
thanks for the reply.

I knew what I meant in my head, but it didn't necessarily translate to my message.

I'm hoping to plot off-road trails and MTB trails then use the iphone to follow that - not to use it as a true GPS unit like you would in a car (to direct from A to B). My Gamin 705 let me plot my maps anywhere (I just used the google map or similar base) and then it guided me.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Garmin 810/800, you will struggle to find any iphone app that does not require reception to work or give accurate directions.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I have an android app called ViewRanger GPS, does pretty much what you want. You can cache maps to work offline. Don' know if it is available for iphone.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
You can cache maps on MotionX on iPhone. Plot and upload your gpx file to your MotionX then set the map area to cache local to your route for off line maps.

thejdl

Squid
"My Trails" on Android has good facilities for Caching offline maps. Can choose from a bunch of different map sources. Can also display gpx files at the same time. No turn by turn though.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
+1 for MotionX. Cache all the maps you like at home when you have WiFi so it doesn't matter if you don't have any phone reception when your on the trail.

hochiki

Likes Bikes
I tried a few apps on my Android phone while in the states recently, and I think one of them was My Trails. I also wanted to make my phone perform like a GPS unit, with maps stored locally rather than referencing on line data such as google maps. I think My Trails allowed you to load map data in certain file formats, the problem seemed to be finding a site to source that data file from. In the end it all became a bit techy for me and I gave up. Best bet might be a purpose built GPS that you can download the ride data from and plot on Google Earth or the like.