MTB light which one?

Ricker

Likes Dirt
So I need a MTB light or maybe 2 for the upcoming darkness as I commute daily on single track to work.

Budget is around $800 max. Don't intend to spend it all if it's not required.

My criteria is quality, reliability and good visibility, ie good beam spread and colour temp over ridiculous lumens. I'll only be using on the ride home around 40mins, 10km.

I'm impressed currently by the following lights and would like to hear people's opinions or experiences. Totally don't care about anyone's suggestions on cheap Chinese lights however good or disposable you think they are.

Exposure six pack and Diablo. Six pack I think would be overkill. Diablo seems nice and compact for a helmet light but concerned not enough spread if solo.

Candle power TT3000 - really like the beam shots of this light on MTBR reviews. Seems really evenly spread and could handle being a solo light.

TrailLED DS - expensive but looks also very well made and beam is strong and impressive. But maybe overkill and could get another 2 light combo for the price.

TrailLED XXX - same quality as DS. Expensive in comparison to TT3000 or six pack for output. Don't gain anything with fast charge times in my scenario.

Four4th Holy Moses or OMG pricey but good quality lights. No idea on beam spread or such.

Glow worm XS and X2 could make a nice combo but I don't like so many battery packs. Rather have 1 fully contained for the bars and 1 backpack for the helmet if required as I always ride with a hydra pack.

I do ride road sometimes and would like to be able to carry 1 light over there.

So thoughts. What combo of single light. Also makes me nervous only having a single light and it failing when I'm moving fast at a critical time. I know odds are bad but there's a reason you have 2 headlights on your car.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
I've used a few of the higher end lights over the years and some cheaper ones. The only set to never fail me in even the most atrocious conditions, both in the bush and while commuting, Lupine.

Lupine Wilma on the bars and Piko on helmet if you want all out.

There's a mega thread on lights. You should find it and have a read. You'll get plenty of support for Exposure here.

Last edited:

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
John U,

Did you get the lupine lights from the Aus distributor (Virtuascape)? I'm looking at getting some, and not sure whether to get direct from Lupine or somewhere else.

Cheers

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Yeah that thread was ok, nothing to relevant to the latest lights out there.

I think the Candlepower Trailtorch 3000 looks the best but its sold out till September.... shame

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Consider form factor as super important.

Rather than light output or even quality of light, the more important things are battery quality, whether it's a seperate pack to the light ( especially if it is to be removed from the bike), how you are going to charge, where you are going to charge, offroad or not ( helmet light is highly regarded).

For instance, lots of battery packs will install easily on some bikes, not so easily on others - bikes left in the open really need an easily remove able system.

Perfect for me would be something with backup USB charging, light and battery in a single form factor, clip on mount, so it can be easily removed and mounted, 500 lumens of light approx, sanyo/ Samsung / Panasonic batteries.

Small backup system carried in pack

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Consider form factor as super important.

Rather than light output or even quality of light, the more important things are battery quality, whether it's a seperate pack to the light ( especially if it is to be removed from the bike), how you are going to charge, where you are going to charge, offroad or not ( helmet light is highly regarded).
Ayups are expensive for the limited output, and have a terrible spot beam from all the photos i've seen. The lights I have listed above all have much wider beam patterns which in my mind will reduce hot spots, and light up whats in my peripheral vision alot better.

Lupines I really like, in the sense that they have the wireless switch that can control multiple lights. But they are way to expensive and their beam patterns are not as good as others, when checking out the MTB review light shootout photos. Love their features though. But a wilma/piko combo would cost in the region of like $1200 aussie dollars which is stupid.

I'm a big fan of the simplicity of the exposure lights, that is what attracts me to them. But I'm not a fan of not being able to easily replace my battery in the coming years when it fails.... That nearly makes the light useless without forking out huge cash for them to replace it... offputting

I'm not parking my bike anywhere unprotected, its either in my house or its in the office, so I wouldnt need to unclip the lights.

Charging could be either. USB is nice and means I can charge anywhere and from any extra USB battery pack.

Main concern, is that a 3200lumen to 4000lumen six pack light is just too much light, and i'm paying for something I wont even use.

I'm thinking of taking a spin on my good old 300 lumen light from back in the day, to see how much light I feel I really need....

Another light I liked was the light and motion seca, really nice beam spread, but they havent updated it in what looks like 2 years.... I dont like buying old tech.

Still think the winner would of been the TT3000, so pretty bummed they are sold out till it aint dark here anymore.

Everytime I think i've come closer to a decision, I feel I havent found the perfect combo..

So far the closest I like is a Exposure six pack on the bars and a exposure diablo on the lid, and hope I can upgrade batteries myself in the future somehow....

Else maybe a Seca 2000 on the lid and see how that goes solo before forking for a bar light?

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Gotta be honest man, it sounds like you're going for some serious overkill for a 10km ride home. These are gonna be trails that you know very well, and throwing up to $800 on lights for something you could probably ride with your eyes closed seems a bit nuts to me. But who am I to stop you spending your money!

Another option is http://www.nitelights.com.au/store/c6/MONT24_-_SPECIALS_.html Currently 15% off their prices, so you could get a bars and head combo for under $400. These guys have sponsored the Mont 24 for years, and I reckon if their gear can stand up to riding a Mont lap all night, your commute home shouldn't be an issue at all.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I run a Seca 2000 race on my road bike. I almost never have it on the highest setting, I normally leave it on the lowest solid output unless its a road I don't know or dark and raining.

I cant imagine more than 2000 lumens would ever be needed unless you were doing 45kmh+ down unfamiliar roads

Beam pattern is fantastic, range is great, its nicely made and hasn't had any issues with bad weather, and I ride in the rain quite a bit.

I do between 300 and 500ks a week mostly very early in the mornings

For a 10km commute I would run something far cheaper

Ricker

Likes Dirt
For a 10km commute I would run something far cheaper

You all raise some good points, and I just got back from a spin down a local fire trail with my 80 lumen old bar light, and a 300 lumen head light.... haha who the hell would need 3000 lumens!!! Could of definitely done with at least another 1000 but that would be tops!

Hmm the nitelite are not something I've seen before. They do look good value. Have to look into them some more

sukebe

Likes Dirt
As you say, the trusty bar mount fill light with a well designed pattern 300 lumen head light goes a long way. I just bought a light tonight hence my chiming in. I was riding last winter with a 300lm bar mount flood and a 700lm spot headlight. I never felt under powered, even at 40km/h on technical single track. I've set a lot of strava PRs the with those lights. Only reason I've bought new ones is the old ones are dated and bulky, and the batteries are no longer holding good charge (bar mount is 7yrs old!).

I see no reason to spend $800 on lights, there are quality "No name" lights around that would easily cover you needs for less than $300. I stumbled across mtbRevolution in my search for lights, local guy in Melbourne, very happy with his products and service to date.

AndyDrew

Likes Bikes
I've used 2x AyUps for a few years now and am very happy with them. Twin lights with normal beam on the bars, and narrow beam on the helment works well for me. I use them for commuting (often along the pitch-black Yarra trails etc), night MTBing, camping...

I also run the handlebar light in flashing mode for most of the year when commuting, has saved me from emergency braking more than a few times!

Excellent customer service too, my case clip broke outside of warranty, probably by my own error which I admitted - they happily replaced it at no cost and it arrive on my door 3 days after I contacted them.

A slightly wider beam on the handlebars wouldn't hurt but I've never felt like I didn't have enough light (they're BRIGHT to say the least, especially if you decide to go the 40% brighter option for one of the lights).

bear the bear

Is a real bear
John U,

Did you get the lupine lights from the Aus distributor (Virtuascape)? I'm looking at getting some, and not sure whether to get direct from Lupine or somewhere else.

Cheers
Yes just get them from Virtuascape, a couple of years ago when the dollar was close to parity with the US it was worth getting them from there but not anymore.
Bill the owner is a great bloke to deal with too.

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Lupine

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Yes just get them from Virtuascape, a couple of years ago when the dollar was close to parity with the US it was worth getting them from there but not anymore.
Bill the owner is a great bloke to deal with too.

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Lupine
Thanks!

At this point I am budget limited to 1 of the Lupines - currently making do with a measly 130 lumen Black Diamond headlamp. (I know some may say to get 2 cheaper lights but I'd prefer to get the quality and features ie. remote etc of the Lupine)

Looking to get one for the head to start with and get a bar mount later. Trying to decide whether to get a Wilma or if I'll be happy with the Piko.

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Thanks!

At this point I am budget limited to 1 of the Lupines - currently making do with a measly 130 lumen Black Diamond headlamp. (I know some may say to get 2 cheaper lights but I'd prefer to get the quality and features ie. remote etc of the Lupine)

Looking to get one for the head to start with and get a bar mount later. Trying to decide whether to get a Wilma or if I'll be happy with the Piko.
You can pick up an exposure maxx D with 2700 lumens for the price of the piko. The beam pattern is also a lot better on the exposure.

John U

MTB Precision
Thanks!

Sorry for not responding to your earlier post. I am running the piko on the helmet from a few years back. My wilma is a couple of years older. I believe the current piko pumps out similar power to what my old wilma did. My advise would be to get the piko, give it a run, and work it out from there.

Bill is a top bloke to deal with. Make him your first point of contact. You'll be hard pressed to do a better deal.

Good luck.

Disclaimer. I pay for all my own shit.

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Thanks!

The wilma is ~$300 more for double the output. Question you have to ask, is how long are you looking at riding for and the type of trails ridden.

I have mine set up for ~1200lumen which I can run for 12hrs before needing a battery change. If you opt for the piko (which is a great little light) this is at the top of its output range and will run flat in about 2hrs. I've found anything above about 1000lumen is overkill, except for a run down skyline at night due to the speed.

All the current lights now are being supplied with the bluetooth 4.0 remote which can be used with the iphone/ android app for setup and adjustment.

John U

MTB Precision
Bright 24hr I fine tuned my lights set up as I went. I ended up running the Piko on 100% with a 6.6 battery pack in my pack with the Wlima on the bars on about 50% for fill. It was comfortable, good enough for night time pace, timed in nicely with my lap times, and meant I only needed 1 battery change.

1100 Lupine lumens out of a piko will be heaps. If you go with it alone for starters and are worried about burn times you might be able to work out a bigger battery with Bill to start with. The smartcore batteries are fucking ace. They remove a lot of guess work, especially in 24 solo situation.