MTB shoes advice

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'm looking at a new pair of MTB shoes to replace my old North Waves. I do like the ratchet style fastening but I would like less venting which is a bit cool in the winter in Tassie and lets the water too easily and rubber type sole as the plastic sole on the NW is bloody slippery on rocks. What would you guys recommend?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5.10 or Shimano AM45's (all the brands do something like that, find the one that fits you best) for the winter, and keep something like the NW for summer (and for when your other ones haven't dried)
I used to run the Shimano shoes for commuting and riding in winter (in Hobart) and had a pair of Shimano XC shoes for general riding and summer. Even the XC shoes were much warmer than the spec shoes that replaced them

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano XC50N. Looks like a standard XC shoe but has no venting. I bought these for the same reason when I lived in Tassie. Very effective in cold and wet conditions, and very easy to clean.
Just remember Shimano sizing is funky, you usually need one size bigger than every other brand on the market.

Last edited:

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
I've got the XC50N as well. Love them. I use a pair M088 of its really hot but to be honest then 50N are great as foot heat is not really an issue for me.

Cheap, robust and light. Also dry quickly if they get wet.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
You have made the right choice deciding to stay away from a new set of Northwaves. I've got two pairs at home with broken ratchets and I'm not spending $45 again when the last replacements only lasted a few months. Maybe I'm just over tightening them, they're comfy but I think they must make them out of butter.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Cool thanks for the input guys. The stitching strap has given way on my North Waves, I'll get them fixed and keep as a spare pair but as these were my first SPD shoes I now know what I like about them and what I don't. How do the Shimano XC50N grip on rock as the plastic sole on the NW has put me on my arse a few times when you have to walk it. Also has anyone tried the Shimano SH-M200?

teK--

Eats Squid
Cool thanks for the input guys. The stitching strap has given way on my North Waves, I'll get them fixed and keep as a spare pair but as these were my first SPD shoes I now know what I like about them and what I don't. How do the Shimano XC50N grip on rock as the plastic sole on the NW has put me on my arse a few times when you have to walk it. Also has anyone tried the Shimano SH-M200?
Just received a pair of the M200 they look very well made and are reasonably light for an armored shoe. The sole feels very grippy rubber I think will do well on wet boulders.

Compared to AM45, the toe box although it is the "Last" wider design, still isn't as wide as the AM45 which fit very comfortably. But certainly they are noticeably roomier than the XC60 and will probably wear in a bit. On the upside, the ankle retention is much much better than the AM45 where can I can inadvertently pull my ankle slightly out of the shoe when I drop my heels.

There are only two small double mesh vents at the top of the toes so will give good airflow once moving but shouldn't let too much water in.

I think this will be a very nice all-round and year-round shoe but will till keep the AM45 for shuttle days.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have some Shimano XC30's and they are pretty average. Flexy has but hold up well to a beating.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Liked the looked of the M200 when I first spied it but have come across the M089 which is a trailshoe in the same series but with less armour, less weight, more sole flex and a lower pricetag. Mountainbikesdirect in QLD have them for $110.

The flex in the sole won't help pedalling but it'll make it more comfortable when you do have to wander in the rocks...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
So do the XC60's and I've not had traction issues with them either. However, they are ugly out of the box and not that cheap.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Another vote for XC50N's, great show would buy again.

My only complaint is too warm in summer - but that's why I should buy a summer shoe, but great in cold and the wet. Tend not to dry fast once saturated.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How about some Mavic Crossmax or Alpines? Coming from Northwaves I find the Crossmax more comfortable.