MTB trip alternative instead of Rotorua?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Planning a MTB trip next year and the plan was Rotorua, Bunch of about 6 of us.

Now down to three due to all the usual excuses.

Smaller bunch means maybe a road trip.

Any suggestions on an alternative to basing in Rotorua and just riding and jumping.

Thoughts? or stick with the original plan.

Tasmania is an idea but not aware if they have any technical trails or more just your blues and greens.

Falls creek? Big hilsl there, What are the trails like?

Anywhere else?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've lived in Tasmania for 3 years now and did a holiday to Rotorua a few weeks back.

In Tassie you'd have to do a road trip to take in enough trails to mix it up. Go to tassietrails.org for the best listing of trails here. Highlights are the North-South track in Hobart and the Blue Tier up north. You'll be spending more time on the road here.

Rotorua has a truckload of trails all together in one spot, enough to last you a few days without seeing the same trail twice. Alternatives to Rotorua are close enough if you want to see something else. Places like Taupo (and others) are around 1 hour's drive away.

You could have a good time in Tassie, but without local knowledge it might get tricky at times, and you'll be driving a fair bit. Rotorua is set up to make it as easy as possible.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick with the plan.

Just back from Rotovegas, it's insanely fun. I've spent a bit of time down in Tassie, and it doesn't compare.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are flying into Auckland I know a guy who i can put you onto who will show you some awesome trails. He is a mad shredder, so it will be full on.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Tasmanian here.

I'd still say stick to the plan.

We do have some good riding in tas but nowhere near what NZ has, so stick to NZ.

If you ever get the chance to come down here for a few weeks after you've done NZ come down here and hopefully we'd have the mini slope style course done at the Penguin MTB park for when you come ;)

We've got a container that we're going to use in it.

However, you'll probably be addicted to NZ..

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Hey, sorry to hijack the tread but I am heading down to Tassie in the last half of January...I will definitely be riding the North South and GOING TO MONA!

Can anyone point me specifically towards any decent riding in the Devonport area and the Sister's Beach area?

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone point me specifically towards any decent riding in the Devonport area and the Sister's Beach area?

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers
Penguin and the Dial Range, also Four Springs isn't too far south from Dev; if it's still there (I haven't ridden in Tas for about 5 years).

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Hey, sorry to hijack the tread but I am heading down to Tassie in the last half of January...I will definitely be riding the North South and GOING TO MONA!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

There's an old Dh track on Kelcey tier albeit un-maintained now so be careful.. There's also a decent bit of xc riding to be had in the Kelcey tier area..

Drop by the Penguin MTB park for some nice riding. We got some wood features there like wall rides, bridges etc.

For Dh speciffic riding there is Paloona downhill track but when/If you ride at Paloona take it easy as we may be working on sections as we are currently re-doing it for the march Tasmania dh round. We have just built a Finnish jump and we are going to put in a jumps line a bit further up the track but don't know when we'll get to building that.

A bit further of a drive there is the Wilmot Dh track which was built a few years ago. The track has 3 main rock gardens, and a jumps section with a single a double and than a jump into a berm and than some whoops sections which I suppose you could double up on, than a bit further down there's a road gap and a berm that goes into a jump than a jump into a right hander berm so the idea is to tweak into the berm than we got a big finnish jump which from memory from last race was about 12-14 meters or something. I'd have remeasure it..

For more info contact the cradle cost mountain bike club's facebook page and I'm sure we could organise or you could organise a local to show you around..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cradle-Coast-Mountain-Bike-Club/171694296195611

Here's some video of the Wilmot dh track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPOKK4sMlWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1fXVd50cw

Keep in mind though that since those video's we've made some changes to the track. The end jump is still the same though..

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Awesome Result

Just wanted to feedback how our trip went.

After getting a recommendation from one of the guys on this forum (Thanks Alex) we contacted BikeZest. Ended up being the perfect outcome.

Clinton from Bikezest organized everything. Accommodation, Transport, what bike parks etc. We just turned up and he was there, Started the trip with a great BBQ and then started riding.

He is also great with communication and no stress. And the price, Well under what I expected.

Basically rode everything between Taupo to Auckland. Redwoods, Craters of the moon, Rainbow mountain, Riverhead, Woodhill and finished at the new Four Forty bike park.

Clinton has a long history with the NZ MTB scene and apart from almost be followed by the paparazzi all the time (Everyone knows him) it turned out great with the multitude of bike issues. Even when we snapped a bike on day 2 he pulled some strings and got us riding in hours and then latter the Niner rep loaned us his personal bike for the rest of the trip quoting "Ride it like you stole it"

Can't say enough. Strong recommendation for BikeZest

Paul

Cairns/Atherton??

I have read that cairns is the new emerging mecca for mtb...rivaling that of rotarua...Apparently atherton has around 100km of singletrack alone...I think the fact that the UCI worlds is being held in cairns is testamont to the quality of the trails in the area.

Personally I have never been to cairns but it is next on the hit list for me...

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
I have read that cairns is the new emerging mecca for mtb...rivaling that of rotarua...Apparently atherton has around 100km of singletrack alone...I think the fact that the UCI worlds is being held in cairns is testamont to the quality of the trails in the area.

Personally I have never been to cairns but it is next on the hit list for me...
I have heard it is good also. def keen to do a trip up there at some stage myself

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
Just wanted to feedback how our trip went.

After getting a recommendation from one of the guys on this forum (Thanks Alex) we contacted BikeZest. Ended up being the perfect outcome.

Clinton from Bikezest organized everything. Accommodation, Transport, what bike parks etc. We just turned up and he was there, Started the trip with a great BBQ and then started riding.

He is also great with communication and no stress. And the price, Well under what I expected.

Basically rode everything between Taupo to Auckland. Redwoods, Craters of the moon, Rainbow mountain, Riverhead, Woodhill and finished at the new Four Forty bike park.

Clinton has a long history with the NZ MTB scene and apart from almost be followed by the paparazzi all the time (Everyone knows him) it turned out great with the multitude of bike issues. Even when we snapped a bike on day 2 he pulled some strings and got us riding in hours and then latter the Niner rep loaned us his personal bike for the rest of the trip quoting "Ride it like you stole it"

Can't say enough. Strong recommendation for BikeZest

Paul
I just got back from a week long riding trip to Queenstown. The gondola access is the best thing ever. Cannot wait to go back. Is there alot of single track at Rotorua I am keen to check it out as well.