MTBA AGM- presidential vote

bigev

Likes Bikes
So why is it I have a plethora of choices joining Bicycle User Groups without having to give money to CA? Surely local clubs can organise their own public liability insurance?
Dont kid yourself on how easy a task this is. Adelaide MTB Club which was probably Australias longest running, independantly insured and non-affiliated club has recently scrapped its own insurance policy and joined MTBA. I'm not sure how many clubs with 150 odd members could fork out $20k a year for an insurance package way inferior to MTBAs.

swanny

Likes Dirt
Well, the VDHS, as with all MTB organizations, will make the best decision they see fit, with the information they have on hand. Thats how they work!!
With the VAST experience that the VDHS committee and the Victorian Clubs have with running MTB events, it was decided that this Day Licence fee was appropriate. When we have droves and droves of riders rocking up to every race to buy day licenses, and they never say boo, we can only assume that this fee is considered acceptable. This is the information we have on hand. And besides that, try getting any type of insurance coverage for racing a mountain bike down a hill for $40.00. Not possible.....

The sentiment that MTBA is dead, is, at this stage, a little over the top. We sure as hell do not want to revert to the old affiliation with CA only. MTB is a very different and unique beast, and right now is disjointed. With the right people, it will get back on track. What MTBA need most is to redefine its position with mountain bike riders and MTB racing. The people that are already there, and the people that will come on board need to open mind, and everybody needs to put their ego's back in their pocket. The current MTBA committee, despite their countless hours of hard work, cant really say that they are running a well oiled machine, and hopefully they can have the pride to listen to new ideas with a fresh approach.

Matt Swann.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Agree with your sentiment Swanny, I suppose the only thing is that very few people have nominated for positions, those that were on the committee decided not to go again for various reason, as we have heard from Knut. I believe that the vacant places are filled at the AGM or the committee (all 6 of them at present) co-opt people or they can stay vacant. Someone else might be able clarify this?
Seems to me that there are some positive things happenning at a local and state level (and PP) for MTB, but questions are being raised about the National MTBA level?
Curious to know who is going to the MTBA Committee AGM on Saturday?

serowe

Likes Dirt
One of the issues brought up here is the distintion between Mountain Biking as a recreation pasttime and racing - the inference appears to have been to try and steer away from the term 'racing'.

This is where MTBA should be 'stepping in' to control the terminology ensuring it is used correctly - this is from the main page of the You Yangs regional Park closure because of the 'discovery' of asbestos (relevant part highlighted):

Change of Conditions

Park Closure - Flood Damage
Due to significant damage caused by recent heavy rainfall, You Yangs Regional Park is closed until further notice. Unfortunately all scheduled events, tours, weddings and other permits have been cancelled. Mountain bike racing scheduled for Saturday 12 February will be re-scheduled.

Safety hazards include extensive rutting on roads, tracks and car parks, loss of road surface, and possible asbestos exposure in areas where culverts have been damaged. Rangers have worked to assess the full scale of damage throughout the park and identify the work required to make the park safe for public use following the latest rain events.

It is anticipated the You Yangs Regional Park will stay closed until Monday 14 February, pending the results of an independent environmental assessment on suspect areas.

Parks Victoria is asking people to be patient and stay away from areas that are closed. Further information will be published on this page when available.
Personally I have no problem with the term, but I know from years of motor sport experience, and has been mentioned here, once the term 'race' or 'racing' is used insurance polocies are cancelled or voided or completely new terms and conditions suddenly imposed.

Maybe the two candidates need to formulate a policy for Mountain Bike Sports

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Some Answers from Russ

PRESIDENT MTBA VISION SUMMARY – RUSS BAKER

You can download and read my official statement from the MTBA Website. Remember, for the MTBA members, voting closes at 1000 eastern on Friday 11 Feb – that’s tomorrow. This year is the first time we have had e-voting so I expect a lot more people to vote, because it is now easier to do so and you don’t have to spend your time and money getting to meetings if you don’t want to.

Without repeating my entire official statement, here are my main priorities for 2011:

Members. The focus will be on the general membership of MTBA – the 95% of us who are not Elite. While Australia topping the gold medal count at the 2010 World Championships is a great achievement for our riders and an inspiration to us all, it is our whole membership that counts. We are currently spending a large proportion of your membership money on the elite end of the field, and this will change. My previous concern about the officious nature of MTB remains, although some small advances have been made. For those of us who love mountain biking, trails access remains an issue and the development of MTBA’s subsidiary, IMBA Australia, will continue. I will continue to get to as many mountain biking activities around the country as possible and I will always be ready to take your feedback. I continue to want to transition MTBA from a following organisation to a leading organisation and I commit MTBA to serving its members.

Membership. Increasing the MTBA membership by ensuring that we provide a product of value to the mountain bikers of Australia. Last year, I asked the question, ‘Why did 99% percent of the people who purchased a mountain bike in Australia last year not join MTBA?’ I haven’t found a satisfactory answer yet, but I will keep searching. We must be relevant to all the mountain bikers. To ensure we are heard on issues, we need membership strength.

Management. Changing the management structure of MTBA to integrate with the Cycling Australia business model. This will mean the physical move of some staff and functions to the CA Sydney Office, but it also will provide MTBA with a better interface with our members and access to professional support services. Our constitution is in serious need of revision to bring MTBA to a National Body organisation and allow for modern ways of doing business.

YOUR QUESTIONS AND ISSUES FROM THIS FORUM

I would like to address the questions that have been raised on this forum since the elections opened, and I will try to keep them grouped by subject.

MTBA / IMBA AU

MTBA and IMBA AU don’t really have different aims. IMBA AU’s aims are a trails and access sub-set of MTBA’s aims. The broad trails access and advocacy aims of MTBA have now been given a separate organisation by which they can be implemented and paid staff to do it, but MTBA owns IMBA AU, funded its creation and MTBA has been a member of IMBA (International) for many years. So, MTBA has always been doing this, and your membership money has been supporting it, and continues to support it. The IMBA AU membership offers a less expensive means for people who do not want, or need, an MTBA membership, to support this activity.

Has MTBA Become the Organisation it Broke Away From ?

I said when previously running that I was concerned that MTBA was becoming too officious. Certainly the reaction from clubs to things like the Commissaire policy have reflected that. The bulk of our membership have little interest in an officious organisation, they just need the ability to enjoy their sport and places to enjoy it in.

MTBA needs to serve its members and I am concerned that an attitude has developed that the members are there to serve MTBA. Any organisation that does not address the needs and concerns of its members has no future.

National Series – Poorly Supported ?

I support having a national series, but it has to be one that MTBA can afford because it is your membership money that is being used to prop up the series financially. Right now, more of you membership is being used for the series than goes towards your insurance coverage. Under the current model, we are getting more sponsorship than before – but overall the series is costing MTBA more than before too.

But, I do not think that MTBA should be in the business of running events. There are clubs and promoters out there who do that – some affiliated with MTBA and some not. MTBA needs to have a viable product for these organisations and then provide the structure and oversight for the top level of competition. That will still require some financial support from MTBA in some of the technical areas.

Clubs, the Real Face of MTBA

While I try to get to as many events as possible so that I can see first-hand what is happening and the members and prospective riders can provide feedback, the real “face” of MTBA is our Clubs. People join clubs, the clubs conduct the activities and the MTBA membership is mentally in the background for most of us. The club-focus is something I believe in, but it does have an unfortunate side-effect of making the national body a bit of a faceless organisation.

Clubs can charge their own club component of the membership, and I am consistently amazed how low they can keep the club component cost for the great service they deliver to their members.

Russ – being “paid”

This has been raised on the forum. In my pre-election statement for the 2009 AGM , I stated that I expected the position of MTBA President to be paid (along with a team appropriately remunerated for their effort, time and accountability). Basically, this meant the positions of President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. At the 2009 AGM, I was asked what would happen if I were elected and not paid, to which I replied that I would need to have a job and that every day I spent on the day-job would be a day I did not spend solving MTBA’s problems.

At the following Management Committee meeting, the committee voted that these positions would not be paid. So, that is the decision. This has meant that I have been able to devote less time to MTBA than I would like, but that was an openly declared fact which the committee were well aware of when they made their decision. For this election, I have not stated that the positions be paid, because the decision has been made that they will not. If re-elected, I will continue to perform on a voluntary basis.

MTBA and the big events (Mont/Scott) and also non-affiliated PP events.

The large MTB participation events do attract big numbers of riders, and the vast majority of the riders are not MTBA members. This can be taken many ways, but at the most basic level, the decision of a rider to become an MTBA member will be one of perceived value for money. For some it is a simple financial decision – membership is cheaper than multiple day licences. For others it is about being willing to contribute to an organisation that helps provide trails and assists in the development of the future of the sport.

But – that is the rider’s decision to make. My task is to deliver an organisation which can provide as many reasons as possible to join.

For the large events that are run by non-affiliated promoters, I would love to have those organisations come onboard and affiliate with MTBA, but the issue is similar. It has to work for them, because MTBA cannot make them come onboard. From my discussions with these promoters, many of them feel that the “baggage” that comes with MTBA affiliation is too great or not worth the cost.

Juniors

We are developing juniors and in addition to very inexpensive memberships for our two young age groups, introduced in 2010, there have been training clinics at the National Series rounds. But, like most things, it all starts with the clubs. They will also have their own range of events, whether it be skills sessions or an Under 7 category at a club race.

Commissaire Policy

This has been a subject I have taken a lot of calls and emails on in 2010. In my opinion, the level of imposition on clubs for club level events was unreasonable and MTBA have now deferred the club level implementation date to 1 July 2011 while a re-vamp of the policy for these events is undertaken, particularly to allow the commissaire to take part in these events.

My main aim here is to have safe events where riders obey the rules. Above this level, we need to get our developing riders used to operating in a commissaire environment, so that it doesn’t come as a shock to them at the higher level races.

My aim is to get the base level commissaire training and qualification as a 100% online training process, but there are still some hurdles to be overcome here in terms of accreditation and assessment.

State Bodies

I feel that the aim I outlined of aligning with the CA Business model will allow us to more easily form state bodies, which can then link in with the respective CA state bodies for common services, and also get better access to state level funding, currently very difficult for MTBA to get, as a national body.

I believe that the state development funds, which MTBA currently collects as part of your membership, should be able to be used for purposes which the state deems appropriate. Having a state body will make this easier than the current model which requires club consensus within a state.

Ride vs Race Balance, The Elite / Participation Member Balance – Crawford

This is in my position statement for this election, but 95% of our membership are not Elite riders. It is about participation in sport so MTBA need to carefully balance the resource allocation between these levels. Fortunately, the return of some performance development funding has made life a bit easier on this front for 2011. In 2010, MTBA decided to financially support the Australian Team for the World Championships, but this was a relatively small amount. Even so, it came out of the membership fees for all members – not just the Elites.

Communication

I agree that this needs to be improved, and will continue to work at it, at every level from me as President down to member emails and our website (currently undergoing a re-vamp).

Conflict of Interest

There have been issues raised here about conflict of interest, either perceived or real. This will always be so in an organisation largely made up of people who have some level of involvement in the sport. For example, prior to the 2009 AGM, I declared that because of by race software and race organisation activities, I would not be making those services available to any race for which MTBA had assigned the rights following a bid evaluation process. That is how I dealt with that issue. The important thing is that issues like this are declared, openly and up-front.

Member Fees – where do they go ?

Another common question I get at the various events I attend. To put it in very basic terms and rounded figures for an MTBA senior membership fee: 20% insurance, 25% National Series Support, 5% State Grants, 10% IMBA AU support, 30% staff costs. The remainder is admin, travel, and, finally, I think I cost about 3% for travel etc.

Attracting the big sponsors

This has been raised as an issue for helping to grow the national series, and we have been getting great support for the current and previous series, from Jayco and Specialized, plus others. But, big sponsors go where their target market is, so for example, it seems to be easier for CORC to get major sponsors for the Scott than for MTBA to get them for the National Series. But if you look at the number of people at these events you can understand why. The 2010 Scott/World Solos had 10,500 people per day at Stromlo. The National Series is yet to achieve this level of exposure. Of course, the profile of the event and the external exposure, through TV and other media will also affect this.

The real factor for MTBA to work on here is the “chicken and egg” one. We need big sponsors to support major events, but the events need to be major to get increased sponsor interest.

Personnel Issues

With the exception of a few paid staff, MTBA is an organisation which can only function because people give their time and skills voluntarily. Please be considerate of them when making comment on public forums.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Russ, (and Frenchie you're welcome too)

Could you expand on 'Has MTBA Become the Organisation it Broke Away From'

With the greater 'alignment' with CA it looks from a distance as if re-integration with CA is happening. While at the elite end I can see MTBA separatism as an annoyance for international riders and costing us possible government development funding I would view MTBA becoming part of CA with alarm. I think CA joining MTBA would be good but I doubt it would ever happen ;)

As far as I could see (several years ago) CA had nothing for non racers, day licenses were inconvenient and central control was excessive. I think MTBA provides a much better environment for clubs to do things for their members although the commissaire thing was starting to smell of CA style red tape.

Thanks...

Paul

PS. glad to hear your explanation of the (non-existent) $40k

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is where many people fail in their understanding of a MEMBER driven organisation...

YOU ARE MTBA... so you are A**F**** yourself?

You claim to be an MTBA member... and you're not happy. But instead of doing something about it, you just whinge here on RB behind a non identifiable forum name.

I just don't get people like you. Don't blame the Bloody organisation (MTBA) unless you are willing to do something about it. OR Create something better...
Sure there is heaps wrong with MTBA. But whilst I have kids coming through my club who want to be the next Cadel and need a pathway... then I'm going to put my NAME and my MONEY where my mouth is.
I'm stepping down at this coming election... but that won't stop me from defending MTBA. Whilst I may have had disagreements with some on the committee... and visa versa... I still believe in the organisation.

Signed.
Norm Douglas
of Forrest. No hidden name here.
Dont get me wrong. I have nothing against the MTBA and the good work its done.
But you are clearly misguided in the notion that Im just simply whinging. I have raised a REAL issue that is associated with MTBA and sanctioned events that affect many people. I have taken the ACTION in this MEMBER driven organisation to raise my voice and concern over the issue stated on behalf of many other people whom are and many who are not MTBA members. Ive stated my concern. Its the job of the elected committe who represent me to listen and take into consideration its MEMBER'S CONCERNS.

Not everyone has the time to be on the MTBA committee. If you were a volunteer, I commend you, but dont blame the rest of the membership who cant contribute. We all still have the right to raise concerns.

If you "Dont get me", then you obviously dont get the many other members whom share the same concern. I have now received 14 emails since yesterday from members (of this forum) with their support. Obviously, Im not hiding behind an anonymous user name as you suggest. Some people do know who I am. Hell, one person in a previous post has named me...... If you cared to research my profile or many posts here you would have the info you seem to think I intentionally leave out.

Im glad for you, that you chose to step down and assist some juniors. Its this kind of thing that already takes up much of my time. That I give to others whom love the sport of MTB, therefore nil spare time for any further MTB organisational commitments. But i am doing my bit to promote the sport as best I can.

I also believe in the organisation (MTBA). But if an organisation cant take consrtuctive criticism (I even gave some suggestions to the prob if you read correctly), or wont allow itself to be audited by its members (aka voicing opinions or ideas or concerns), then it cant move forward.

"MTBA needs to serve its members and I am concerned that an attitude has developed that the members are there to serve MTBA. Any organisation that does not address the needs and concerns of its members has no future." Russ Baker (quote).

There are many different opinions and ideas across the organisation. But to be dismissive, and only see it "my" way will not allow the exploration of possible outcome that could improve things. Mine is one voice, with one minor concern I have voiced. I bet there are many other as hinted on this thread. But I accept that the organisation isnt perfect, but at least with what ever input is given, it should be noted, a way ahead or forward should then be the focus to make improvements.

All I have felt from you in your reponse is a careless attitude, that certainly does not promote MTBA in a good light.

We are all passionate about our sport (obviously). I hope the NEW committee can work well to find resolutions to the many concerns raised here.

Signing off,

Member No. 7549.

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Could you expand on 'Has MTBA Become the Organisation it Broke Away From'
You said, the 'commissaire thing was starting to smell of CA red tape' but I don't believe that is the real issue.

As I understand it, the breakaway over a decade ago was caused because the mountain bikers were paying their membership dues but not getting anything in return for the average member, and if you look back through the posts in this thread, those same sentiments have re-surfaced.

There is a study currently underway, funded by the Australian Sports Commission, which is addressing a model for the 'business' of cycling as a sport and an outcome of that might be a revised model for CA, under which each major cycling discipline will be a pillar - Road, Track, MTB, BMX. So, under that model, we would not be so much joining into CA, but joining a new organisation of which we are one of the 4 pillars.

We also need to note that the extra funding for performance development we have received is conditional of a satisfactory level of integration with CA (although what that means has yet to be defined).

The integration that I will be seeking to implement if re-elected, is one more at the business level, where we get the benefits of proper business support and office management, plus better linkage into CA programs such as coaching and training.

Last edited:

paulb

Likes Dirt
Russ my concern was that the complaints through this thread would apply to a far greater extent if we were CA than for MTBA. In fact I thought some of the commenters may have been confusing MTBA with CA (eg $200 license fees).

I sat through about 3 years of meetings of a CSV affiliated club. We MTBrs could not believe the limitations the roadies accepted as normal. Needing permission to have races with entrants from other clubs, having to give race fees from such races to the state body etc.

It's this sort of thing that worries me. If integration meant that I'd be looking for a new organisation. I'm worried that integration with CA is in direct conflict with addressing the issues in this thread.

Please prove me wrong :)

Edit: just re read the being one of four pillars bit, maybe we can preserve our more informal and participatory nature. Would this new body be focused on participatory sport or olympic medals?

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Russ my concern was that the complaints through this thread would apply to a far greater extent if we were CA than for MTBA. In fact I thought some of the commenters may have been confusing MTBA with CA (eg $200 license fees).

I sat through about 3 years of meetings of a CSV affiliated club. We MTBrs could not believe the limitations the roadies accepted as normal. Needing permission to have races with entrants from other clubs, having to give race fees from such races to the state body etc.

It's this sort of thing that worries me. If integration meant that I'd be looking for a new organisation. I'm worried that integration with CA is in direct conflict with addressing the issues in this thread.

Edit: just re read the being one of four pillars bit, maybe we can preserve our more informal and participatory nature. Would this new body be focused on participatory sport or olympic medals?
We would get to keep our "independence" on those issues you raise.

The study has already identified that all four cycling disciplines are "too elitist" and need to focus their attention on the broader cycling base. However, be under no doubt that the higher level funding is still driven a lot by the desire to win medals. That is what gets us on the front page of the papers. After Crawford, there are two funding streams, Elite and Participation. We would be applying for $$ under both, for different programs.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If re-elected, I will continue to perform on a voluntary basis.

With the exception of a few paid staff, MTBA is an organisation which can only function because people give their time and skills voluntarily. Please be considerate of them when making comment on public forums.
Holy crap!

I would have assumed that someone that puts his neck on the block would not have been doing it out of the kindness of his heart.

Ok, the system might not be perfect, but the fact that these guys are willing to do the hard yards for all of us for nothing, makes swinging a pick at a working bee look pretty sad.

I wonder if any of the whingers would be willing to do the same???

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the calm approach to disseminating all of that information Russ.

I really don't know anything about the management structure, business models or people that run MTBA. With that in mind, here are a few things that stand out for me...

I applaude your approach to the Presidency of a national organisation as far as pay goes. Everyone is busy nowadays just trying to stay ahead and to take a full time position for no/little remuneration doesn't make sense. Doing what you can, when you can is the only sensible approach.

MTBA/IMBA AU. I would like to see them become separate entities. I currently pay my MTBA membership because it makes better financial sense, but if I don't get my monies worth from racing, I know it's going towards something that will benefit mtbing in Australia. (That's my hope anyway). I am also a member of IMBA. I want to be a financial member of IMBA AU because then I know that the money is helping Australia specifically. (I'm also keen for IMBA AU to have the same links with Subaru that they have in the US!). I do fear that if MTBA and IMBA AU split then MTBA would be made almost redundant and CA could take over the role that MTBA has as far as racing is concerned.

martinpb

Likes Dirt

Member Fees – where do they go ?

Another common question I get at the various events I attend. To put it in very basic terms and rounded figures for an MTBA senior membership fee: 20% insurance, 25% National Series Support, 5% State Grants, 10% IMBA AU support, 30% staff costs. The remainder is admin, travel, and, finally, I think I cost about 3% for travel etc.
Thanks for the details of your positions Russ.

As for the breakdown of where the money goes, i guess this rams home why so many recreational riders and low end racers feel put out by the MTBA. Even if you put the state grants as purely track building money, an average rider gives almost 100% more to running the national series than they do to trail works. Considering average riders are unlikely to race even one round of the national series, this really does feel like a tax grab to feed the rich.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
... this is a bit OT but in context of where and what MTBA does or doesn;t do well... and to encourage our new president to take some actions...

".. with the national series why do we have results and (lack of photos) and commentary of the event only directed from the elite level only? How about a bit of encouragement for all the U15, U17, U19 riders? How about some interviews of riders at different levels? Get their perspective of the events, the darmas, the race and venues as well. The mtba website and for that matter the series website are about as interesting as listening to Julia Gillard.. MTBA should be 'show casing' the sport at every possibility. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to have someone covering these things, to interview and report from all levels of the competition.... Has anyone asked what an U15 female thought of the course - xco or downhill, or one of the masters/super masters etc ...
"

johndh

Likes Dirt
So far there is one person (Swanny) going to the AGM tomorrow?
Reading the MTBA constitution they need 3 for a quorum.

Investopedia Says:
This yearly meeting is the single event whereby shareholders are able to gather and ask the board of directors questions pertaining to corporate health and strategy. Proper notice must be given to shareholders with regards to meeting times and agenda.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
So far there is one person (Swanny) going to the AGM tomorrow?
Reading the MTBA constitution they need 3 for a quorum.

Investopedia Says:
This yearly meeting is the single event whereby shareholders are able to gather and ask the board of directors questions pertaining to corporate health and strategy. Proper notice must be given to shareholders with regards to meeting times and agenda.

Sorry - am working all weekend.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt

Even thought I have not renominated for VP, perhaps I can offer some comment on the above.
I have spoken at length with some guys from BMXA about precisely the concerns you raise above. As Russ has already stated, there is very little chance (IMO) of this happening. This has not been the case with BMXA either... with them retaining their own independence and only gaining from joining CA.

I too have concerns about our clubs losing their ability to set their own "event criteria"... as I tried to state in an earlier post which I was then shot down for.

The Tour of Bright is the perfect example in my opinion of a (from what I understand) over officiated event by Cycle Sport Victoria... making it somewhat difficult for the Bright club at times.

I believe in the ability for clubs to determine how much they can or can't make from an event and who can turn up?