MTBA committee elections

rrace

Squid
Nominations are on MTBA website now

I see that all the nominations for MTBA Committee have now been posted on the MTBA website - except for OT Rider Rep "withheld". It seems to be public knowledge that Ross Kroger has nominated for this position, plus also Secretary, Treasurer, and CA Board Rep. It will all be in the AGM Minutes, so why it is witheld now? It would seem to be relevant to how members may vote.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Interesting that that notice states the following:

Alternatively, if you cannot attend and wish to be nominated by someone who is attending the AGM, email your nomination form to the MTBA Secretary before 9am Saturday 18th February 2012.
and yet the constitution clearly states:

13. Election of management committee members
(1) Nominations of candidates for election as office-bearers of MTBA-
(a) shall be made in writing, signed by 2 members of MTBA and
accompanied by the written consent of the candidate (which may
be endorsed on the nomination form); and
(b) shall be delivered to the secretary of MTBA not less than 7 days
before the date fixed for the annual general meeting at which the
election is to take place.
So my reading would be that any nominations received between 11th Feb and 18th Feb for a position that already has nominations cannot be considered - if they are then - well the Act gives the penalties for this (and probably nullifies the whole AGM).

Good one Tony....

akashra

Eats Squid
I think Tony is aware of this, it's just the wording he's chosen. Clearly it is only for the remaining available positions (WA, SA, TAS rep). Curious about the DH rep position being listed as open - I was certain a particular person had nominated for it.

Knut

Troll hunter
With AGM looming, voting closing and tension high, could be a weekend to remember. Hope you all enjoyed the voting system.

Last edited:

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Not sure that I am wrapped about receving an e-mail from Ross Kroger chasing support. Is this allowed under the MTBA database usage? (the fact I recieved it twice indicates the database needs cleaning up) Whilst I have put my hand up to help out in Qld, I was not planning on voting as I dont know the candidates so I would be voting blind. However after receving this e-mail from only one candidate I am not so sure.

akashra

Eats Squid
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I would suspect he's probably just used a list of anyone he's contacted, ever, and gone 'Select All'.
But I could be wrong. Which would be far, far worse.

I also received it twice.
Should I reply twice, or strongly, once? :p

rrace

Squid
...moving forward

I think we would be wise not to dwell to much on the machinations of the past week, but now ensure we can obtain the improvements we seek. Not that the past is unimportant - and should be kept in mind, but let's not get bogged down with a Royal Commission.

That said - it would be interesting to directly ask RK where he got your email address from. I wasn't blessed with a request. I think we will find the MTBA database is quite secure.

akashra

Eats Squid
As some are aware, I nominated Jodie Clausen for the Treasurers position as she clearly has the experience required to fill the role, and has extensive experience actually pre-planning and running ongoing business for clubs in the sport.

Provided below is both the abstract and full text (as linked above by Norm) from her manifesto, copied here as there's some dubious at best actions going on regarding information being published regarding he current AGM.

Jodie Clausen said:
Abstract

As Treasurer, I seek inclusive memberships and licenses to attract and nurture juniors, share resources and allow members to continuously evolve.

With State and National level event experience, I managed the Bush Fire Relief Enduro, organised in 4 days, to raise $37,000 for fire affected victims.

My Defence background brings logistic experience to achieve a successful event outcome.

Managing Baum Cycles, I have established a reputation of reliability, efficiency and professionalism. Coupled with my financial experience, I can secure a strong economic future for MTBA, 2012 and beyond.

I would be enthusiastic and honoured to represent the MTBA Membership.
Jodie Clausen said:
Full text
Position Summary

Experience

• Payroll
  • Invoicing
  • Account reconciliation
  • Taxation
  • Sourcing and purchasing
  • Productivity scheduling and long term planning
  • OH&S
  • Customer relations
  • Management

I have been a mountain biker since 1999 and involved in the administration of Mountain Biking since 2006. I am a State level Commissaire and actively race the Victorian Enduro Series, of which I have won two State series titles.

As wife and mother of two, within a competitive cycling family. I wish to explore the possibilities of tailored memberships that facilitate and attract families into the sport. An inclusive (MTB, Road and Track) license is the next step to nurture juniors, share resources and allow members to continuously evolve and remain in our sport.

I have experience in MTB event organisation, at both a State and National level. One of the events I managed was the Bush Fire Relief Enduro, which was organised in only 4 days and was responsible for breaking down many political barriers. Orchestrating 6 clubs to work harmoniously, raising $37,000 for fire affected victims.

My Operational Defence background beneficially brings experience and aids an appreciation of logistic requirements to achieve a successful event outcome.

I manage a small manufacturing company that has gained an international reputation as a market leader. My association with suppliers and clients has allowed me to establish a reputation for being reliable, efficient and professional in all my dealings. It is these traits that help simplify the process of delivering a world class product and, coupled with my financial experience, I feel are qualities that can help towards securing the economic future position of MTBA.

My respect of club and board officials is always paramount, as is my love of mountain biking and desire to see the sport grow and develop into a stronger sport over the coming years. It would be with great honour and enthusiasm, that I would bring these skills and traits to MTBA as the new Treasurer.

Jodie Clausen
I'll make it clear that I believe getting things done starts with electing Jodie to the position.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Now the elections are done for the year, I look forward to seeing the new OT rider representative "riding" trials events, I believe the next event will be at the National in Adelaide this weekend, wonder if the represenative is riding??

boonta

Squid
Now the elections are done for the year, I look forward to seeing the new OT rider representative "riding" trials events, I believe the next event will be at the National in Adelaide this weekend, wonder if the represenative is riding??
He has gone decidedly quiet!

Maybe a wake up call that was needed? Poor trials riders, represented by a dinosaur of the MTBA past.

Will be interesting times at MTBA over the next few months, the new committee with a burn and passion for the sport, not for bureaucracy.

Knut

Troll hunter
Quote of the Day

Would there be a late entry fee?

Last edited:

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
This discussion is truly the epitome of what is wrong with MTBA.

While I agree that the ex treasurer of MTBA can be a major pain in the ass at times, he is also a man who has poured countless days of his time into MTBA. The MTBA committee is not a place to action personal grievances and vendettas, it should be a constructive, supportive environment populated by people who are driven to grow our sport. Sadly in the past this has not been so, and from this discussion I am buoyed with very little hope that this will change in the coming 12 months.

Good luck and all the best to the incoming committee.

serowe

Likes Dirt

While I agree that the ex treasurer of MTBA can be a major pain in the ass at times, he is also a man who has poured countless days of his time into MTBA. The MTBA committee is not a place to action personal grievances and vendettas, it should be a constructive, supportive environment populated by people who are driven to grow our sport. Sadly in the past this has not been so, and from this discussion I am buoyed with very little hope that this will change in the coming 12 months.

Why? AFAIK since the AGM no one on the new MTBA committee has made any comments about anyone or anything. That aside, this is a new committee (well mostly) and, as such, you would expect and hope they will give it their all. What it doesn't need is someone, anyone, with past grievances or personal agenda's trying to derail this process. Unfortunately you can't easily forget what has happened in the past - it is always there in the back of everyone's mind.

akashra

Eats Squid

The impression I get that frustrates everyone is that you can get a 17-1 vote for something, yet then rather than taking it on the chin being outvoted, causes all kinds of noise to stop that action voted in favour of getting done.
This kind of behaviour is/was in no way constructive or supportive of the rest of the committee. It's all good to have an opinion, but knowing when to let it go and just STFU is a skill that is eventually learned.

As for anything being said/not being said by the committee, I personally haven't 'announced' anything because I don't believe it's my place. While I not sit as the XC rep and intend to do everything I can to raise, address or find a solution to issues where possible, I also recognise it's not my place to be the one making the announcement that X was elected to Y position, that this or that is our goal for the next N years, etc.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
My 2c to the new committee.

Firstly congratulations for stepping up. MTBA needs passionate people who care about our sport/recreational activity

I would encourage the committee to take a look at the manner in which MTBA operates, what they see as their core business and their role and objectives.

Is MTBA all about racing and trying to be the Australian version of NORBA? If so, that's fine, just stick to running that core business properly and don't try to be something else.

If the organisation is serious about being the main national body working on behalf of all mountain bikers (not just those who race) then I would politely suggest that a serious re-think about how they do things is in order. Most non-competition riders see MTBA as largely irrellevant and not actively doing anything "for them".

A- Work out what you are currently doing
B- Work out what you want to be doing if it's something other than A
C- Make a proper plan to achieve B
D- Carry out C
E- Use your website and email to publicise D

Time and time again we see the same questions:
Where does my money go?
What are you actually doing?

Tell members what you are up to, and even more importantly, get information out there to make it possible for non members to see why joining would be worthwhile (otherwise they never will)

rrace

Squid
Let's move on

For those wondering who is on the 2012 MTBA Committee it has been posted on the MTBA website. Link below. There are a few changes to the EC and General Committee which is great to see, fresh people > fresh ideas and enthusiasm. Change does not occur overnight, however I look forward to reflecting on their achievements this time next year. May the Force be With You :)

http://www.mtba.asn.au/news/1746-2011-agm-welcome-new-committee-members
Agree with Chica (I'm polite of course) - but it's a great opportunity to move forward, and not rake over the past. One of the main things will be for the Committee to meet regularly! From my experience with a previous company Board which was not functioning well - half the problems were solved when the meeting dates were regular and fixed well in advance. This not only cuts down the work done each meeting, but help clear the air through personnal contact.

Good luck all!

akashra

Eats Squid
half the problems were solved when the meeting dates were regular and fixed well in advance. This not only cuts down the work done each meeting, but help clear the air through personnal contact.
Yes - and this is a lesson that can be learned and passed down to small clubs as well. You might not think that once a month is necessary, but by doing so you get in to a pattern, and it means you can have say one hour meetings regularly instead of a bi-monthly one being three hours, or a quarterly one taking longer and only getting half what you need to discussed.
Within ClubFGP we've found exactly the same thing, but most importantly it also builds rapport - and I think that's something we want to aim for, everyone being able to get along rather than being at each other. We went through a period of just scheduling meetings when we need to, but now keeping them small and regular we've found is the way to go.

Agree with Chica (I'm polite of course)
lol - such a hard sentence to make sound polite :)

Last edited: