MTBA feedback survey- DH racers

wormer

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: No
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: No
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes, wear them every ride
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Yes, worn rarely
GLOVES: Yes, worn every ride
GOGGLES: Yes, worn every ride when using a full face. Sunnies with the pisspot.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Aren't you out with injuries ??? :) ... Bloody Huckers ... wah wah wah :D
Unfortunately yes.
Which goes to show how useless the armour really is.
The only 2 pieces of armour I didn't have on was neck brace & goggles & my neck & eyes were just about the only bits I didn't hurt.
Does sound a bit like an effort to make more of this kit compulsory which would be a big mistake.
As soon as I can get a doctor to sew my arm back on I will be out hucking again.
Cheers

Octane_Matty

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: no
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: yes - 661 suit has saved me from sharp rocks
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: always knee - saves your joints and skin
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: no - i wear elbows because im a tree magnet
GLOVES: always - only because
GOGGLES: no - only to keep dirt out of my eyes, some races i would rather the better visibility without.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
armour

NECK BRACE: Never used one
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: yes use the short sleve 661. I was wearing this when i went over the bars on the drop above abo rock at oxy. Hence a bruise the size of a brick rather than broken ribs
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes essential especially when you bail over the bars. Because you always end up landing on the knees
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:??? not sure, i wear em to stop cuts.
GLOVES: sometimes use em.
GOGGLES: keeps dust off eyes. Could have done with them one time when i had a stick go straight up my nose. Man, that was bad...blood everywhere:eek:

Crankit

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: Never worn one. Quite Pricey and as other people are saying the jury is still out there somewhere......
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: 90% of the time. Don't find it too restricting and uncomfortable like other people are saying. Saved me on a number of times.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Usually just my Pinstripe knee Guards
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Started wearing them again and losing half of the skin on my left arm.
GLOVES: Always unless I leave them in the shuttle car.
GOGGLES: Always.

mauro

Cannon Fodder
I need information to know where to go

I´m from another country and i brought my bike with me, I have a downhill bike. I currently I live in Brisbane and I´m interested in practicing but I don´t know where to go.

I was wondering if somebody knows about group excursions or trips, I don´t care paying a fee as long as it includes transportation to the place.

If some is planning a trip, please give the basic info: cost, departure place, date and personal details.

There is only one catch, my English is not the best so you have to be patient and perhaps we may learn from each other.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I´m from another country and i brought my bike with me, I have a downhill bike. I currently I live in Brisbane and I´m interested in practicing but I don´t know where to go. ....
Hey mate - start a thread in the Newbie section - don't take over threads that have started already (hijaking). This thread has been started by someone from MTBA (governing body of MTB here) for a reason.

Welcome to Brissy none the less...

J

JaRedy

I´m from another country and i brought my bike with me, I have a downhill bike. I currently I live in Brisbane and I´m interested in practicing but I don´t know where to go.

I was wondering if somebody knows about group excursions or trips, I don´t care paying a fee as long as it includes transportation to the place.

If some is planning a trip, please give the basic info: cost, departure place, date and personal details.

There is only one catch, my English is not the best so you have to be patient and perhaps we may learn from each other.
There isn't usualy many public downhill trips other than the odd race or social day. There's no downhill club that goes down to the local every saturday morning, if that's what you were thinking.

You shouldn't have trouble finding somebody to take you to a race, people are nice. And as eyes said, if you post a new thread ellswhere (maybe in the watering hole - QLD, not the newbie section, I diddn't think anyone even looked in there?) then you'll probably get some nice people offering you a lift here and there. If you ask nicley in your thread you might even get hooked up with some non-race shuttles.

Haha doesn't get anymore offtopic than this...

Last edited by a moderator:

BJ4D

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: No (not yet anyway.. saving some coin at the moment for one)
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Yes
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: No (but incorporated into my 661 body armor)
GLOVES: Yes, always wear them
GOGGLES:Yes (except for when i get caught in the rain with no tear offs).

chimpy

Likes Dirt
protection

NECK BRACE: Cant afford
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Yeah pressure suit
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: yeah
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: yeah pressure suit
GLOVES: yeah
GOGGLES: Yep

Staunch

Eats Squid
NECK BRACE:
Probably saved myself from serious injury wearing mine on the weekend, going headfirst into a boulder isn't to fun, I always were it when I ride DH
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:
I only wear my pressure suit for harder/rockier courses where there is more chance of stacking/it would hurt more. It has saved me while a few times from getting beat up and I was able to keep riding. For easier/flowier courses I choose not to wear it because it is bulky and can be annoying to wear.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:
Judging from the hundreds of scratches in the they're saved my shins heaps of time from shin-bashes and also my knees from quite a few stacks, I also wear them when riding DH because when I haven't I have screwed my knees up quite a bit when I've crashed
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:
See Back/Chest Armour, pressure suit, built in ;)
GLOVES:
Only reason I wear gloves in for grip, not protection though they do save your hands from grazes, not much else
GOGGLES:
Keep me to not crash, keep dirt/dush/water/mud out of my eyes, always ride with them whenever I use my fullface.

Last edited:

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: Yeah, I can't even tell I'm wearing one now. They don't restrict my head movements that much.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Was/am considering getting a vest, but not a major priority.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: 661 Kyle straits for the less rocky/jumps and Fox launch knee shins for the rockier more technical tracks.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Nah, never liked having my elbows covered. Hoodie's where it's at :p
GLOVES: Never used too, but do now.
GOGGLES: Yeah, never used to like them but ever since I got a new pair I've never left home without them.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Neck brace , I don`t wear one and don`t feel that they are effective enough in the way people crash in MTBing .
Knee guards , I always wear them and think that a sock form knee guard is best . One that will take the initial impact , remain in place and protect the knee from a second impact or sliding .
Elbow guards , Same as for knee guards .
Chest plate , not necessary .
Spine plate , good idea to wear one , i do .
Goggles , a must . The eye is a very important ,not that well protected part on of the body . Goggles are a must .
Gloves , Should be up to the ridder on preference . Most light weight gloves that dont get hot do little for hand protection or grip .

budapest

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: got one very comfortible

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:cant were one with my amour

KNEE/LEG GUARDS:knee

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:no

GLOVES:yes

GOGGLES:yes

QOTSA

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: pfft!

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: no.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: sometimes..

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: nope

GLOVES: sure.

GOGGLES: lol..no

:p

Cost

Neck Brace: I can't afford a broken neck or paraplegia
Back Chest Armour: Refer above - need a chest first
Knee Guards: Only when begging her.
Elbow guards: Yes
Gloves: I like to use my fingers
Goggles: ABSOLUTELY

Seat belts are compulsory, motor cyclists need safety gear. Helmets increase the moveable head mass and neck strain when you stop - simple physics.
Value/cost/never happens to me/uncomfortable = pretty stupid when some one never walks again.
I drive a 5 star car with airbags, hope I never use, and I don't know if they will work BUT I got em any way.

NECK BRACE: A friend of mine broke his neck wearing it. I don't trust them since that.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: 661 pressure suit short sleeves. It has saved my shoulders and chest.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: 661 Knee/Shin (bad, they were never in the right place, but save my knees and shins many times), Lizard Skin Knee pads (really good), 661 Kyle Strait (comfortable and they don't move, never crashed wearing them) and Race Face Rally DH (1 ride with them, they were in the right position all the time).
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Lizard Skin elbow/arm pads. Always. They give some protection from cuts and bruises. They move a lot. Not really happy with them.
GLOVES: Always. Just for cuts and rashes.
FULL FACE: 661 comp. Always when riding DH/FR. Saved my head many times.
GOGGLES: I didn't wear them regularly until a branch came into my helmet and got a nasty cut from the top of my left eyebrow all the way down to my neck. I was lucky to still have my left eye. A must since that episode.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
NECK BRACE: I have a Leatt. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.;) I wear it for every DH ride.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: I have 661 assault suit, I wear it on occasion on a sketchy new trail or if I feel I need it for whatever reason.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: 661 Evo knee pads, flexible, adequate protection and don't slip in a crash.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: On occasion when I feel they're warranted, usually in combo with the back/chest armour.
GLOVES: Always, simply for grip on the bars when I'm sweaty.
GOGGLES: Always. As said before, you only get one set of peepers.

As far as the requirement for minimum protection when racing I reckon FF Helmet and Knee protection would be a good starting point. I think we get off lightly in DH, BMX racing has far more stringent rules for riders.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Best peice of equiptment i have, highly reccomend, dont even realise i am wearing it anymore.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: I dont wear it but i used to and it is effective, just really hot and didnt go with my neck brace
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: I wear knee gaurds, kyle straits and they are great saved me many times, used to wear shinnies but i dont hit my shins too much (touch wood) so i dont use them anymore
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Dont use them
GLOVES: Dont use them, i dont like the feel of them. Still seem to grip fine.
GOGGLES: I use them in the rain, they do the job.