MTBA feedback survey- DH racers

gordonvale94

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Don't have one, too expensive.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Don't have any.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Always.

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Sometimes.

GLOVES: Always.

GOGGLES: Sometimes.

bur182

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: no but might invest in one.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: yes but only use it when trying something new

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: knee pads :)

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: no

GLOVES: no

GOGGLES: sometimes

T-Rex

Template denier
NECK BRACE: Yes, wouldn't ride DH without it. Makes me faster because it makes me more confident.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Yes. Has saved me lots of pain and lost skin, but needs modification to accomodate neck brace.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Yes, part of armour.
GLOVES: Yes, protects from skin loss in a stack, plus I don't like the feel of sweaty palms on grips.
GOGGLES: Yes, better than a stick through the eye, or a rock from following another rider.

Build_em_Ride_em

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: have one, dont noticed it while riding, rather have it then not.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: have stops of pain and injuries.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: hell yeah, would be crazy not to wear them.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: yes, would of done lots more damage if i didnt have them.
GLOVES: yes, dont want scabbed up hands.
GOGGLES: yes, dont like dust or mud in my eyes, and stops your eyes going watery when pinning it.:):)

themightypen

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Have one, love it and wouldn't ride without it
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Had it but ditched because it was too uncomfortable and didn't fit with the neck brace
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Got em would not ride with out them though might just get knee pads after the current ones wear out
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:Have them and a definatley worth it
GLOVES:Yes
GOGGLES:Always except for on stinking hot day when i will just wear sunnies

aow885

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: nah.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: never used one. all my mates say its hot and uncomfortable.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Wouldn't ride without them
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:Getting my self a pair soon. Will stop the skin coming off.
GLOVES:Always, hate sweaty hands
GOGGLES:never found the need for them.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: have one and where it whenever i can, gotta protect the goods

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: no, to uncomfortable, mostly only stops scrathes

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: wear them whenever i ride dh

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: no, should, but cant be bothered, think they'd piss me off to much aswell.

GLOVES: most of the time

GOGGLES: all the time, stops dust and rocks getting in my eyes when im followin people, feel naked without them aswell.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: recently got one, seems good so far.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: core saver, pretty good, havent crashed yet though
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:yup. saves those kneecaps
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: should get some....
GLOVES: most of the time, not always.
GOGGLES: most of the time, not always

falconr

Squid
NECK BRACE: Nope
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Recently bought after smashing my shoulder. I went over the bars at the weekend and was fine so happy with it. Not sure how I'm going to deal with heat in summer though.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:Yup, saves the pedals smashing up the legs
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Yup, part of body armour but had previous to body armour anyway. Its been good as quite often I clip trees and branches so think it does the job
GLOVES: Always
GOGGLES: Nope, to hot with the full face helmet as it is.

Luke_99

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:dont have one but thinking of getting one
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:used once and is really comfortable but come in handy on really technical track
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:eek:n most actions yes, to many pedals to shin and to much skin gone on knee caps.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:i never really use these
GLOVES:never, only if wet on most actions
GOGGLES:all the time when i am wearing a full face.good to keep out all the weird stuff that comes flying in to your eyes

Last edited:

adman

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Potentially one of the most important pieces of protection you can get, since a broken neck is the end of things. I haven't got one yet - the price is a little high, but definitely something I'll be looking at.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: I used this when I started riding (Fox Launch Suit) and it certainly boosts your confidence. However I don't crash as often any more and so the fact that it is so heavy and restricting kind of makes it less useful.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: A must. I currently have a f**ken huge scar on my knee from where my 661 knee pads slid off, but even though I grazed my knee, if I wasn't wearing them I would be looking at a knee reconstruction. Since getting Troy Lee Designs pants I won't need to worry about them sliding anymore, but they are the most useful thing since you almost always fall on your knees.

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Only used them as part of my body armour, but it's quite useful when you start out.

GLOVES: Grazed up hands are very annoying and so even if gloves are a little restricting they are very important I thinks.

GOGGLES: Shit going in your eyes sucks, so I always wear goggles. Also dust, water and wind in your eyes is annoying, so goggles are the shiz.

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: I've never used one, but i like the idea. Will be saving for one soon.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: If works for you use it, to big, bulky and hot for me.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Very useful, the amount of times my have saved me defiantly worth it.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: I've never hit my arms that badly, I'd never buy them.
GLOVES: Worth it, very cheap and save your hands from being cut up. I feel naked without them.
GOGGLES: Stops crap flying into your eyes, lets you keep eye contact more easily, also stops the cameras catching you goofy facials. Worth it.

zen zen

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Don't have one yet but might get one soonish.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: No need i reckon. But i guess it could help with some things.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Defiantly i eather wear my Fox launch shin and knee or my 661 Evo knee's.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: No need i reckon. But i guess it could help with some things.
GLOVES: I guess they could help stop getting cuts and stuff.
GOGGLES: Never go riding without these. Keeps everything out of my eyes.

dj ben

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: dont use one, too expensive and i dont think they would really make much difference
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Dont use it, too restrictive and cant move.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Use it. My knees are still in one piece and they help when you slip a pedal and shinbash.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Dont use but i could do with some. whenever i stack i always graze my elbow. just cant afford it.
GLOVES: Always use. stop blisters and protect when you stack and from branches etc. on narrow tracks.
GOGGLES: Dont use but i could use some, i always get dust and mud in my eyes.

Mugger

Senir oMermber
NECK BRACE: Nope - can't afford one.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Use it on and off, been wearing it a lot lately however.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Knee pads only, much more comfortable.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Incorporated into body armour - not a massive fan but sick of cutting arms up.
GLOVES: Yerp
GOGGLES: Yerp

condog

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Yes, i am positive they work effectively. Everybody who is saying "not convinced they do anything" then you are rong. If you go over the bars and land on your head im sure you'd rather a neck brace to act like a crumple zone then snap your spine. Also what i can make out of what POC are saying, about the brain damage thing, There are stories all over the net on how the neckbrace saved peoples spines. I have yet to read one where somebody has had brain trumar, and if they did they probally would have got it without the brace on aswell. AND the neck brace is supposed to brake when under heavy impact, to reduce impact.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: No but i deffinately should, its just uncomftorble and bulky.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Knee pads saved me so many times.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: nope
GLOVES: no, i used to but they broke so i rode without them for a while and now i cant go back.
GOGGLES: Yes

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: yes, doesn't affect my riding at all and can barley notice it when riding.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:had a pressure suit, wore it a few times and crashed with it and it didn't do much, had a little crash and landed on my arm and it still hurt as much as if i wasn't wearing any, so i stopped wearing arm protectiong and have now got a core protecter.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: tld lopes knee/shin guards, would only ride without them if i left them behind.

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: NO

GLOVES: yes, gloves are good, but will ride with no gloves sometimes.

GOGGLES: yes they make you look cool, and keep stuff out of your eyes and decrease the glare.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: Don't own one, but have heard good things about them. Would look into getting one further down the track for sure.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Have a 661 pressure suit, honestly, i do find it a little bit restricting but not enough to notice when i've got the adrenaline flowing. Use it about 50% of the time, when i'm trying new lines or bigger things it's a must, otherwise i'm happy in my hoody :cool:
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Have some 661 race lites, god damn won't be buying them again. They're alright for "impacts" but a while ago i had a crash where i slid along the ground, they tore straight down, leaving me with no skin on my knees and ground down some Patela (kneecap)
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Only in pressure suit.
GLOVES: Some BBB fingerless ones, just 'cause i like feeling the brake levers, always ride with them, though not to phased if i forget them.
GOGGLES: Fox Main's, pretty much always ride with them seeing as i have contact lenses. Getting a bits of grit stuck in your contact when travelling at speed is scary stuff! Would still ride if i forgot them though.

Steve-O

Likes Bikes
NECK BRACE: Dont own one but would like one.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: 661 half pressure suit (the vest kind) wear it on the tougher tracks

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: 661 knee's. always wear them

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:661 evo elbows

GLOVES: ONG moto gloves. always wear them

GOGGLES: Oakley O frames

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
Neck Brace- Don't own one and the ones that work are to expensive, but would like to try one when riding to see what they feel like, if they don't restrick me in anyway then I'd love one.
Body Armour- I own two sets of body armour, Alpine star and dainese. Hate them can't move, looking at forcefield body armour, the best numbers I can find for any body armour on the market, 4.2 nm of force.
Knee/Leg- A must for me, looking at a new set of poc bone vdp leg.
Elbow- Again a must for me as my wrists are F***ed, so when I fall I can't land on my hands, I have to land on my elbows/forarms.
Gloves- Can't ride without them these days.
Goggles- A must. To keep out tree branches and dust.