Mucking round in the shed

adam

Likes Dirt
Just got a mig welder and am practicing/learning to weld, i thought of an idea for some bars. Its simple, and has a little bit of rise. Theyre super small cause i ran out of steel, i might make up some more latter that are wider. The welds arent that good, but its not too bad for my second day of welding.

Just thought id share it with you guys

hardcore!? :?

Ride
Adam

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
wow, do you have a welder at home? i'm doing welding at school at the moment, using an oxyacetelene. Yeh welding is great fun, i'm making a bike repair stand.
those bars look great, a bit more rise and they'd look like the 24seven bars. u reckon they'd be strong enough though?

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
lol, i'd love to see a whole bike made like that :)

make yourself useful and build us all workstands etc for reasonable prices... maybe some crank holder racks for ute's and trailers etc. (for runs)

adam

Likes Dirt
yeah ben, weve got a mig welder, no oxy bottles for us. Havent seen the 24seven bars, ill pop over and have a look now. Dont know how they would go for strength, they took a few big hits with the sledge hammer though.

Yeah, pana, when i get a little better i was gonna make a bike rack up for my car, even a shuttle trailer or just make something up to fit in our existing trailer.

Ride
Adam

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
lol when i finish my bike repair stand i'll take a photo of it and post it on here. so far its looking pretty good

S.

ex offender
Pana said:
make yourself useful and build us all workstands etc for reasonable prices...
Having just bought a Gripsport stand, I can tell you that they're damn good stands for a damn good price. Seriously, I can put my 45lb DH bike in there VERTICALLY and it does not move a millimetre. AND they're what, a third of the cost of a Park stand?

belly_up

Likes Dirt
i want an adjustable base like that for my drill press :(
and somewhere to put it that doesn't involve me standing on a chair to use it...
and a lathe...
and a MIG/TIG...
and a Mill...

i think i'll turn my drill press into a mini lathe...

trobb

Likes Dirt
thats a fear welding job, thers 1 here but i dnt know how to u use it and if u new who i was u would want me trying anything with it lol i might like wled myself lol

S.

ex offender
The stuff you're making is sick Adam... most component making companies start out the same way you have.... [hint]

adam

Likes Dirt
thanks for the encouragement socket. was hoping i might get a little bigger, and develop a small but trusty line of nice products for riders. I dont want to do anything with this stupid uni degree (boring, lost interest, but too far in to quit :? ). So i was thinking of doing something I love.

I just like making things. I prefer to make something instead of buy it, you get that bit of satisfaction. When you see it on someone elses bike, its all the more better too! :)

Ride
Adam

Curly

Squid
Dude....

It's like dentistry. Leave it to the professionals....

Ouch - nice looking set of bars, but helllllllllooooo Dr Dentist guy if the welding doesn't turn out to be so good... It's like going: "Hey cousin joey, build me up some handlebars, then stop screwing my sister."

Curly: Who's suffered through a frame that snapped clean through near the headtube...

wombat

Lives in a hole
adam said:
just a fully automated cnc machine would do me nicely, im not too picky.

Adam
Hehe, I just finished playing with the mill here at TAFE 5 minutes ago. CNC is fun but the GM code is a shit.

As for those bars, personally I wouldn't ride them. The wat that they're designed, all the stress is being taken by the welds, not by the parent material, considering general allowance for a GOOD weld is one third the strength of the parent material, that design seems to me to be very inefficient and dangerous.