Mudd kicks off RedAss State Downhill race series with a win on new Del Rio track

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member

Graeme Mudd was the fastest downhill rider at the first round of this year’s RedAss NSW/ACT Downhill State Series at Wisemans Ferry on the Hawkesbury River. It was a racing premiere at the Del Rio Resort, officially opening the brand-new downhill track of the Western Sydney MTB club.

With more than 200m of elevation the track featured fast traverses along the escarpment above the Hawkesbury river, steep descents across boulders and roots as well as flowy berms and rockgarden features, which were praised by the almost 200 riders competing for series points.

It was the Elite racer Graeme Mudd who clocked in the fastest time of the weekend with 2:07.10, setting a track record for racers to beat in upcoming events at the venue, which no doubt will become a popular destination for both club and future state downhill races.

With his strong background in both national and state BMX and Four Cross racing, Graeme Mudd had already set the fastest time in the seeding runs, which were held for Elite and U19 categories.

“I was surprised that I was only 0.5 seconds faster in my final race run, it felt so much quicker. The new track did change a bit throughout the competition with big rocks and roots coming through, making it rougher as the day progressed – maybe that’s why it felt more intense and faster”, said the Orange Bikes rider from Maitland (NSW) at the finish line, who plans to compete in the RedAss Downhill State Championships in October at Ourimbah and as many State Series races as possible, whilst still fitting in the 4X World Championships in August overseas.

With an average seeding time, Mark Conliffe (Eastwood, NSW) catapulted himself into second position in the final race run with 2:08.32, 2.59 seconds ahead of Jeremy Powell from Farrer (ACT).

Elite Women field hotly contested

The Elite Women’s field saw 2011 4X and Dual Slalom State Series winner Vanessa Thompson from Yanderra (NSW) claim the top position ahead of experienced gravity racers Sarah Booth (Medowie, NSW) and Michelle Crisp (Earlwood, NSW).

“I didn’t expect to get first today, however, I had a clean final race run and tried to accelerate and pedal out of every corner. I definitely had an advantage on this track, as we tested it in our last downhill club round. I know I’ll have to watch out for the other girls, they are very strong”, said the surprised fastest female rider of the day winning by 1.5 seconds.

For the upcoming round at Coffs Harbour, Thompson said the almost twice as long race track will require a lot of endurance, which she will try to keep building up by also competing in cross-country events, including Rocky Trail’s four and seven hour SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix racing series.

U19 junior rider shows strength

U19 Male racer Brent Smith Woronora Heights showed an outstanding performance and a clocked in a final race run of 2:08.68. After a clear win at the 2012 Oceania Downhill Championships in New Zealand and a top ten ranking in the National Gravity Cup this year he plans to race at Crankworks in Canada and then race as many RedAss State Series events and the Championships.

“I really ramped up my race preparations this year, training before school and doing a lot of core workout and road and cross-country rides throughout the week”, said the up and coming gravity racer, happy for all his hard work to pay off.

Further category winners from Round 1 are:

U17 Male - David Maggs (Artarmon, NSW), Veteran 30-39 yrs – Rick Kehoe (Thornton, NSW), U15 Male - Logan Quinn (Woronora Heights, NSW), Junior Female – Kellie Weinert (Kearns, NSW), Masters 40-49 yrs – Darren Willis (Lithgow, NSW), Masters Women – Colleen Boyes (Thornton, NSW), SuperMasters 50-59 yrs – Steven Bullard (Hacket, ACT), Expert Female – Clare Ly (Petersham, NSW), Expert Male - Oliver Le Lievre (Wahroonga, NSW), Sport Male - Alastair Paterson (Dee Why, NSW).

The RedAss NSW/ACT Downhill State Series will move up north to Coffs Harbour next for round two on 21+22 July, before travelling to Lithgow in August, to Canberra’s Stromlo Forest Park in September and the Thredbo’s downhill mecca for the final round in November. The State Championship event will be hosted by the Central Coast Ourimbah MTB Club on 6 October 2012 at Ourimbah State Forest near Wyong (NSW).

Results Round 1, Del Rio Resort

Elite Male
1. Grame Mudd, Maitland (NSW)
2. Mark Conliffe, Eastwood (NSW)
3. Jeremy Powell, Farrer (ACT)

Elite Female
1. Vanessa Thompson, Yanderra (NSW)
2. Sarah Booth, Medowie (NSW)
3. Michelle Crisp, Earlwood (NSW)

U19 Male
1. Brent Smith, Woronora Heights (NSW)
2. Andrew Crimmins, Bredbo (NSW)
3. Liam Towers, Wongawilli (NSW)

U17 Male
1. David Maggs, Artarmon (NSW)
2. Connor O’Dwyer, West Wollongong (NSW)
3. Callum Carson, Figtree (NSW)

For detailed results, visit www.rockytrailentertainment.com

RedAss NSW/ACT Downhill events coming up:

21 July - RedAss NSW/ACT DH State Series, Rd 2 - Coffs Harbour
18 Aug - RedAss NSW/ACT DH State Series, Rd 3 - Lithgow
15 Sept - RedAss NSW/ACT DH State Series, Rd 4 - Canberra
6 Oct - RedAss NSW/ACT DH State Champs - Ourimbah
17 Nov - RedAss NSW/ACT DH State Series, Rd 5 - Thredbo

Photo: Robert Conroy / The Roost