Project Mulleting!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Gutted. The project is on hold. The Sapphire I had lined up is a 32mm stanchion not 34.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I mulleted my GG Megatrail. Only because I couldn’t make it a full 29er.
For various reasons I couldn’t get along with it. I suck at explaining technical aspects of bike feel so can’t give you much of run down of my findings.
I think if I’d mucked around with it more changing bits and pieces here and there to get it right it would work especially as this bike is well know to make a good mullet but I don’t have the patience. I’m more of I just wanna ride the thing not fettle with it every ride.

So you might throw a wagon wheel on the front and it’s good to go but I’d say don’t expect not to have to play around with it a fair bit, and it still may not ever feel great.

DMan

I mulleted my GG Megatrail. Only because I couldn’t make it a full 29er.
For various reasons I couldn’t get along with it. I suck at explaining technical aspects of bike feel so can’t give you much of run down of my findings.
I think if I’d mucked around with it more changing bits and pieces here and there to get it right it would work especially as this bike is well know to make a good mullet but I don’t have the patience. I’m more of I just wanna ride the thing not fettle with it every ride.

So you might throw a wagon wheel on the front and it’s good to go but I’d say don’t expect not to have to play around with it a fair bit, and it still may not ever feel great.
I hear you. Was just curious. And read the Sapphire was a nice fork anyway

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've built a couple of bikes up as mullets.

The first was my nicolai g16, originally had 27.5 wheels but got mullet curious as it's the best of both worlds and many people on mtbr ran this combination. Only thing I did when swapping over was reduce the travel on the fork by 10mm to bring the a2c down by 10mm. I much preferred this setup to 27.5.

The second was a v3 spitty. Got a good deal on the frame but couldn't go back to a 27.5 front wheel after experiencing the bigger wheel up front. So mulleted it also, I never ran this as a full 27.5 so can't compare. Also I sold it shortly after building it as I rode an ebike and was converted.

I'd say go for it. If you have a fork that you can adjust travel without a new air spring you can experiment a little to find the sweet spot.

New build I'm on the fence between full 29 or mullet again. Probably go mullet, I'm not racing and in it for fun with lots of jumps.

I really like how playful the mullet setup is and it suits my regular trails perfectly.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

DMan

I've built a couple of bikes up as mullets.

The first was my nicolai g16, originally had 27.5 wheels but got mullet curious as it's the best of both worlds and many people on mtbr ran this combination. Only thing I did when swapping over was reduce the travel on the fork by 10mm to bring the a2c down by 10mm. I much preferred this setup to 27.5.

The second was a v3 spitty. Got a good deal on the frame but couldn't go back to a 27.5 front wheel after experiencing the bigger wheel up front. So mulleted it also, I never ran this as a full 27.5 so can't compare. Also I sold it shortly after building it as I rode an ebike and was converted.

I'd say go for it. If you have a fork that you can adjust travel without a new air spring you can experiment a little to find the sweet spot.

New build I'm on the fence between full 29 or mullet again. Probably go mullet, I'm not racing and in it for fun with lots of jumps.

I really like how playful the mullet setup is and it suits my regular trails perfectly.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Cheers man. Definitely not off the cards, just need to find a suitable fork

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I have had two mullet bikes, a Banshee Rune and a Craftworks ENR. Both were run with a Lyrik 160 fork. It was a 51 offset but I would probably get a shorter offset if you can. I find these bikes always rolled faster than my mates 27.5 bikes on a fireroad. Take from that what you will but it was pretty obvious it was quicker once your up to speed. Smaller rear wheel is stronger than 29er, tyres are lighter too. I would recommend mulleting a 27.5 frame, not a 29er frame as bb would likely be too low. Too see what geo effects you would have, just put something 18mm under your front wheel. You can measure head angle easily with an iPhone angle app held on the back of your stem. Hope that helps. I would definitely recommend the mullet

Petero

Likes Dirt
That too. I was wondering if any fellow mulleters thought the negative climbing and flat terrain bobbing of their bike after mulleting made it not worth while
I found the easier spin up of the rear 27.5 wheel was more beneficial and noticeable than the detriment of the slightly slacker seat angle.. I even have some PB's still remaining from this set up on the climbs..

Biggest thing was the front end wasn't as easy to point either up or down and wandered on climbs.. but the bars were about 30mm higher than stock as I was also running a longer fork and higher rise bars...