Multiple Day Rides in Australia or NZ???

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My riding buddy just broke a collar bone doing some gravity type riding and his wife is thinking maybe some other style of riding might be less disruptive to their lives.

So I was thinking there must be some multiple day rides, either guided or the type where there is some basic accommodation at each days destination where the experience is going the distance in remote areas. I remember reading about maybe something from the snowies to the coast and something around Ballarat.

So basically any suggestions would be great.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The Mawson trail in South Austraila. 900km from Blinman to Adelaide, you can plan it around stops in towns at night.

Smaller one would be the Flinders Ranges By Bike trail. 205km around the Flinders. Can be done in 4 parts, or all in one day.

uglybob

Likes Bikes
multiple options in NZ.

just around Otago there is the Alps2Ocean Trail, Central Otago Rail Trail, Roxburgh Gorge Trail - options are endless. with lots of support / accommodation options etc - the small towns are embracing it along the trails.

Walden

Cannon Fodder
The Goldfields track (Bendigo to Ballarat) is a good 3 days that you can drop into accommodation along the way.

The Mundabiddi in WA has accomodation every 40k or so which apparently is to short for most and doubling up a bit too far.

You'll need camping gear for the likes of the Mawson or the Tasmania Trail.

I just did 5 days in Derby which was fun. It's not point to point adventure stuff but there are shuttles and most of the trails aren't too hardcore.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Old Ghost Road in NZ is a great option, just did it recently. 85km with huts along the way, you can ride as far as you want in a day. Spectacular scenery. Best way to do it is drive to the end of the trail (it's one way) and get helicoptered back to the start (with food drops on the way).

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the feedback... I think Goldfields will be a good one to put a toe in the water.. getting that trip organised now. See how that goes then look at the others... SA ones sound really good and WA really good, just harder to get to.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Someone mentioned ski fields trails or the Alpine country - any particular recommendations?
not really... about 20 years ago I headed out through Omeo with a couple of friends and we just sorta winged it. I think there's a continuous track from Mt St Gwinear to Baw Baw but I'm not sure if it's closed to MTB these days.