Munda Biddi Track in 9 Days - Done.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Well its done, 2+ years of talking, fantasizing and planning myself and two other mates (Rob and Scott) have just completed a true EPIC run of the Munda Biddi trail.

9 Days, 950km and over 12,000m climbing we rolled into Albany.

Learnt lot including the limit of the human body, Good and bad kit to carry and lots of things we would do differently.

We were unsupported apart from exploiting Pubs for food and accommodation along the way. Shortest day was 81km and the longest was 135km.

Due to the very tight time frame and distances we ended up carrying quite a lot of kit. Almost 20kg/a piece on top of bikes and riders.

If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

Its an amazing track, excellent condition with good huts, water and experiences. Tempted to do it again as a support run and try to break 5 Days.

As it stands it looks like we are the fastest official run of the course.

posty26

Likes Bikes
Nine days is very impressive unsupported and carrying 20+ kilos of kit, nice work.

I hope you managed actually to take in some of the scenery along the way!

I've done bits and pieces myself and one day hope to go end to end but I suspect at a slightly more leisurely pace. I'd be interested to know where you're overnights were spent and imagine you pushed onto a pub each night for refreshment. That would be excellent motivation for me to put in extra k's! What I have seen of the huts though they are not a bad place to spend a night.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Nine days is very impressive unsupported and carrying 20+ kilos of kit, nice work.

I hope you managed actually to take in some of the scenery along the way!

I've done bits and pieces myself and one day hope to go end to end but I suspect at a slightly more leisurely pace. I'd be interested to know where you're overnights were spent and imagine you pushed onto a pub each night for refreshment. That would be excellent motivation for me to put in extra k's! What I have seen of the huts though they are not a bad place to spend a night.
This is the course we ran.

Pubs each nite, Big cooked meals and often a second dinner for breakfast and or lunch. Shower and good bed made a big difference with the hours and distance we were pushing.
Was really impressed by all the pubs. Knew what we were doing and enthusiatic with supporting us. Bigger meals, Special food etc.
Huts were great, Very clean and tidy and we used the chance to eat and top up water.

Biddi.jpg

Last edited:

MurrayW

Likes Bikes
excellent effort

Hope you enjoyed it. I know of three guys that did the ride in 5 days 20 hours and 10 minutes. Crazy I think. They carried very little and stayed in pubs/ towns all the way.
How did you like the pea gravel?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Hope you enjoyed it. I know of three guys that did the ride in 5 days 20 hours and 10 minutes. Crazy I think. They carried very little and stayed in pubs/ towns all the way.
How did you like the pea gravel?
Did you have any more details on the guys who did it in 6 days.

Non Stop?
Full distance (Albany?)
Strava or GPS Tracks. Very curious about doing a lite run and cracking some distance.

poita

Likes Dirt
Good to know it can be done staying in pubs every night. Going to do it myself next year, not in 9 days though! What bikes were you on?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Good to know it can be done staying in pubs every night. Going to do it myself next year, not in 9 days though! What bikes were you on?
The bikes.
Giant Anthem X0 29er (Cracked toptube on 4th day (Weld at Seattube and top tube)
Niner 29er
Van Nick zion 29er (Hard Tail)

All bikes were running toppeak paniers (Mounted off the seat post) . Handlebar bag.

20131015_070920.jpg

Few things to be noted.
Light bikes are not ideal. Anthem cracked the frame and the titanium flexed like mad causing severe speed wobbles. Full suspension is good, The hardtail also had the issue where the extra weight was unsuspended.
Those particular bar ends were awesome.
Go triple chainring.
Make sure your weight is neutral. Light front end is scary in peagravel, Day 2 I moved my seat the bars forward to balance and the difference was amazing.
Next time I would go Brooks saddle. Rode with a SMP dynamic saddle. Seriously hard but very well shaped however the small mismatch started to take its toll. The brooks will mould to the perfect shape.

Don't go padded saddle. You will bruise a large area of muscle and the large contact area will hold arse sweat causing major issues.

We all suffered mild but rash and that was it. Not surprising with the hours we were riding.

Road my race wheels which stared to loosen on the ride. Minor really.

Fitted new chain and cassette on leaving. Is now totally worn out.
Run dry lube and lube often.

MurrayW

Likes Bikes
Did you have any more details on the guys who did it in 6 days.

Non Stop?
Full distance (Albany?)
Strava or GPS Tracks. Very curious about doing a lite run and cracking some distance.
One of the guys is the husband of a lady that works with my wife. She told my wife that they were doing the MBT as she knew of my interest in the trail. First post on her face book was that they had left Mundaring, next thing they were fuelling up in Dwellingup and I thought these guys are on a mission. I will try and get some info but I am sure they just kept riding from town to town. I know they rode until 3am on one section. Personally I like to take it all in and stay in the huts and enjoy the wilderness experience. They did ride Mundaring to Albany, over a thousand Ks.
What was your total Ks?

Cheers

Murray

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
One of the guys is the husband of a lady that works with my wife. She told my wife that they were doing the MBT as she knew of my interest in the trail. First post on her face book was that they had left Mundaring, next thing they were fuelling up in Dwellingup and I thought these guys are on a mission. I will try and get some info but I am sure they just kept riding from town to town. I know they rode until 3am on one section. Personally I like to take it all in and stay in the huts and enjoy the wilderness experience. They did ride Mundaring to Albany, over a thousand Ks.
What was your total Ks?

Cheers

Murray
Have managed to find more more details. two of the guys have won the Avon descent. Still would like to see stops etc. Maybe challenge it.

Total K's was 950. one main diversion knocked off 75km on the 2nd last day due to burnoff.

Ride.jpg

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Wow it must be quite a hilly route.
That's quite an effort backing that up for 9 days particularly loaded up with panniers etc.
this is on my bucket list and I would also be looking at staying in pubs etc.
Anyone know if its doable on a cx bike?
How did you get back to Perth?

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Anything is possible but a CX bike would be difficult. Lots of sand and pragravel sections. I was running 29 x 2.3 ardents with double latex dose and would not want to have changed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Giant anthem x 29er

Hi guys ,well done on your epic bike ride,im doing it from Albany early october, im getting to Albany hiking the BIBB, anyway does anyone know if i can carry panniers on my Giant dually, on the back, not sure if i will be staying in towns yet.

Any extra info would be much appreciated thanks.

Wayne

wicksey

Likes Bikes
Wayne you need thule pack and pedal pannier racks. These will work with your dually.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk