MUni - That's short for Mountain Unicycle

treggs

Treggs Tuned
She's been usable for a couple of years but I have finally painted her and treated her to a new seat. Yes those are brake posts and yes there is a point to V-Brakes on a unicycle. The brakes aren't currently fitted because I recently moved house and I can't find the bar end that holds the lever under the seat. For those that know Kangarilla I have ridden her on the berm track. I did fall off a few times but you can understand the need for brakes....

If anyone is interested I machined the hub/axle assembly, and the dropouts. Grant made the frame and got it welded. The wheel is a 24 inch mtb rim with a 3 inch tyre running about 15 psi. Cranks are 175 mm profiles with a custom hub built around a profile axle.

Attachments

chriscross

Likes Dirt
yeh uni's are sweet. i was watching this trials show on fuel and there was
these nut casses on unicycles doing bigger stuff than guys on normal bikes.
other than that good effort.

would it be possible to do dirt jumps a unicycle?...
may be a stupid question or would you just slip out when you land and just loose balance.....

lachy

Likes Dirt
i think the main problem with doin dirt jump on one is the fact the rider has to pedal when the wheel is turning (fixed gear) so it would be hard to get enough speed.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a reson why with all unis you have to pedal when the wheel is moving? Is it possible to make one with a normal hub? Is it because of the gyroscopic force helping to keep you astride?

Im no expert on unicycles but I know a good one when I see it, and that, sir, is a good one. ;)

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Not sure if anyone has ever made a free hub uni cycle but it would be damn hard to ride. The main reason is because you use pedal force to maintain your balance. Not being able to apply backward pedal force would make it almost impossible to ride off road. The balance required to "coast" a unicycle on bitumen is silly, off road would be freakish.