Music, the best sound ever made!

RCOH

Eats Squid
Hi Guys,
It has came to my attention that a lot of poeple like Music, and so do I. It is the best sound in the World. The Infantry Marching Band for example, the army use them for a reason, they are more reliable than a shellac record, and you are more likely to surivive a roadside bomb too. The MP3 player is the best on and offroad music player, it is comfortable on road and can stand the really hardcore stuff. Thats why Top Gear use em. It kicks a Walkmans a## and leaves the Portable CD player for dead. And if you think a Walkman and Portable CD Player over a MP3 player, well then you havn't seen them or you havn't used one.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yeah they are good, but reliability has never been a strong point, especially pre-HMV owned days.

I like the Compact Disc.

Top Gear use them probably more out of British patriotism than anything else.

Does it make it the best in the world if the army uses them? Probably another throwback to British pride. Would you say the British Grenadiers are the best in the world?

I'd prefer a IPod Touch myself for the ultimate offroad machine :)

:p:p:p:p

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's a pity that mp3s suck all the life out of music.
Exactly!!

Give me a sunbaked cheap TDK D-90 over a 256kbit/s mp3 for more pleasuable sound anyday even if the frequency spectrum may not be as good.

That said, the mp3 is probably not going to be long for this world and it will be non-lossy formats.. and maybe in 5 years we will have 24-bit/96kHZ portable players where the music will sound as good as pristine analog. Then the world will be a better place....

...no the world will be a better place when people start making albums less than 40 minutes again!

Hi Guys,
It has came to my attention that a lot of poeple like Music, and so do I. It is the best sound in the World. The Infantry Marching Band for example, the army use them for a reason, they are more reliable than a shellac record, and you are more likely to surivive a roadside bomb too. The MP3 player is the best on and offroad music player, it is comfortable on road and can stand the really hardcore stuff. Thats why Top Gear use em. It kicks a Walkmans a## and leaves the Portable CD player for dead. And if you think a Walkman and Portable CD Player over a MP3 player, well then you havn't seen them or you havn't used one.
Mate, did you just copy my paragraph and edit it, it seems so, afterall, you did start this Thread after I started mine!:mad:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

Blythy

Likes Dirt
I can not wait for the day that someone produces a music format that has the same bit rate/frequency response/clarity/pure awsomeness as WAV. But is still a compressed file size. Maybe someone already has. It frustrates me that I can only listen to mp3. On my iPOD only because if I was to import my CD's in WAV. I would only fit 100 songs on there. ME VERY ANGRY!

RCOH

Eats Squid
Mate, did you just copy my paragraph and edit it, it seems so, afterall, you did start this Thread after I started mine!:mad:
Mate, I have know idea what you're talking about, afterall, I was writing this thread at the same time as you, you just posted first! :p

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
First - this is One of the most clever threads I have seen for a while. Kudos for that!
Second - I didn't know all that stuff bout mp3's etc. To my surprise I learnt something valuable from this thread! Kudos for that too!

Lastly after some careful contemplation I rekon my i30 with iPod connectivity would run the top end no worries! Only problem being the mp3's would deteriorate over the 20 years it took to do so and my music would sound like shit for the trip home :(

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Music is awesome. One day i'll be rich enough and i'll pay someone to create a theme song to my life.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
it's a pity that mp3s suck all the life out of music.
True that. Give me a portable DAT player any day. I still use my old school PCM DAT player and the quality shits on mp3.
Sure it's not instant track recall, but if your tracks are time coded it's pretty quick and the quality is still far superior, even though it's a dormant format.

I love my DAT.

You should hear the Dark Side of the Moon on this through some sennheiser HD 280 headphones. It's like hearing for the first time.

One day I'd like to get my hands on of these. A nice boutique tube headphone amp. Glaahhhhh!!! One day...

Last edited: