- Shin Pads
- Elbow Pads

2) Bike
- Suspension helps
- 100% Bike working order
- breaks work
- gearing works
- chain doesn't come off

What else do i need to know or have to have for down hilling??

ooh and skill :D

road warrior

Likes Dirt
what the hell are you talking about?

yes those thing help.

so does a ute and a chairlift.

Is there a question in this thread, or is it just a random assortment of exclamation marks?

THRILLHOUSE

Likes Dirt
dh03 said:
What is a must for down hilling???

1) Protective Gear
- Enclosed Shoes

2) Bike
- breaks work
hey mate is this just a pointless post?

who in their right mind (unless there stupid like hairy and do dj in thongs) is going to do any type of riding, especially downhill, in anything but enclosed shoes? :roll:

And who says working brakes are a must have? i've done runs with no front brake and a V on the back. :lol: whilst it was hard it still wasn't a must.

tu plang

knob
road warrior said:
what the hell are you talking about?

yes those thing help.

so does a ute and a chairlift.

Is there a question in this thread, or is it just a random assortment of exclamation marks?
funilly enough not a single exclamation mark, never the less i see where your coming from. edit: ooow thread title, fair enough.

i wouldnt say that a FF is a must for recreational DH, if you are racing it is obviously. nor would i say elbow or knee guards are essential, while knee/shins are common and damn good to have its a personal preference thing - elbows even more so. finally i wouldnt go spending money on goggles unless you are a) racing or b) ride terrain that is extremely muddy/dusty etc.

the above things are all nice to have but by no means are they all 'essential'

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why are some people so illiterate?

Some people replace 'brakes' with 'breaks'. Is it people's lazyness, or is it their grammar skills?

Enough ranting from me.. :!: :idea: :idea:

EDIT: Their :oops: :D

scblack

Leucocholic
teamshore wrote:

Some people replace 'brakes' with 'breaks'. Is it people's lazyness, or is it there grammar skills?

Enough ranting from me..
Is it "there" grammar skills hey? Thats a smart one. :roll:

usually the ones who point out the grammer are the people who have all the gear and no idea, so dont worry about that crap. Geez martin, i thought youd have better things to do with your day than to go word by word and pick peoples spelling mistakes, breaks and brakes, too much time. But i think your the only one who is a good rider and picks out spelling, how the fucks that work?

You dont need armour at all, i cant afford it so i go without, ive honestly got better things to spend fucking 600 bucks on. sure ill fork out for a helmet and some gloves but thats all. knee pads off a mate if hes not racing.

you dont need a 'working' bike, the frame can be cracked or the gears buggered, maybe the pedals frozen, youll still have a good chance of making it down, id say a bike in 'rideable' condition, but then again, i said that, all my stuff is usually fucked. except for this bike i have atm, first!, also no, you dont need brakes, they just help you go slower and save your head from that rock you may run into.

"Thank God That Rock Stopped Ya" - Because be can.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Avanti_Racing said:
You dont need armour at all, i cant afford it so i go without, ive honestly got better things to spend fucking 600 bucks on. sure ill fork out for a helmet and some gloves but thats all. knee pads off a mate if hes not racing.

you dont need a 'working' bike, the frame can be cracked or the gears buggered, maybe the pedals frozen, youll still have a good chance of making it down, id say a bike in 'rideable' condition, but then again, i said that, all my stuff is usually fucked. except for this bike i have atm, first!, also no, you dont need brakes, they just help you go slower and save your head from that rock you may run into.

I think you gotta stop giving people advice man.. you'll make quadriplegics out of the lot of us.

Fallsrider

Likes Dirt
Meh, all of the above mate except for skill, since you start off with relatively none and build your skills up :wink:

lotec

Banned
CHEWY said:
Avanti_Racing said:

I think you gotta stop giving people advice man.. you'll make quadriplegics out of the lot of us.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

road warrior

Likes Dirt
yeh you don't need armour, I have raced on bikes with no armour and disc brakes held on by zip ties.

Armour is for keeping you warm, nothing else.

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
road warrior said:
yeh you don't need armour, I have raced on bikes with no armour and disc brakes held on by zip ties.

Maybe your day will never come, but you'll be one of the few.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Kram said:
road warrior said:

Maybe your day will never come, but you'll be one of the few.
I'm with RR here... Armour is useless for most situations- the best peice of equipement i have is Those neoprene fox kneepads- they are in the right spot and they don't feel bulky.

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
scblack said:
teamshore wrote:

Some people replace 'brakes' with 'breaks'. Is it people's lazyness, or is it there grammar skills?

Enough ranting from me..
Is it "there" grammar skills hey? Thats a smart one. :roll:
Ohh dammit. Looks like i spelt a word incorrectly. :( :( :( :(

Speshul K

Likes Dirt
Hmm it all depends on your experience level, the more you push your limits the more you should start thinking about this stuff.

I started on a rigid bike with a old helmet and of course the mandentry hills. After roughing it out for a while I upgraded to a better bike, this time with suspension and dodgey cable disc brakes. I only bought a set of shin pads when a had skinned them to many times to dismiss it. Just recently a bought myself a real downhill bike and a mate bought me a fullface for my birthday.

So only now I'm looking at some full armour after the Coffs trip where came close to seriously hurting myself.

So it completely depends where your at, if you feel that you are being slowed down by the fear of seriouly hurting yourself then yeah look into some of that gear but until then just enjoy what your've got and push on.

mtngoat

Banned
[quote="

Is there a question in this thread, or is it just a random assortment of exclamation marks?[/quote]

and the question was in the last line

fun you must have a load of fun

Status
Not open for further replies.