Must have gear for female riders!!!

Bethany

Likes Bikes
well good to know terranik thinks the same way as i do. I kinda just walk in the bike shop and point at things that look hot. Im lucky to have a best mate that works so i can be dumb and doesnt matter.

Should i pay the money and get Troy Lee Design full face? I have these hot pink TLD gloves they are the best. Anything pink i will hit

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Haha! I'm not exactly the same as you Beth... My LBS keeps trying to get me to buy pink helmets, pink everything... It's a bit of a joke now - I just tell them... "I DON'T DO PINK!" :p Instead everything I have is red. Red clipless pedals, red bike, red helmet... :p I'm very colour coordinated!

Mandy

Likes Bikes
I wanted a black bike so i could buy any gear but i got a blue one!!! My camel back is black and kahki i was so angry there wasnt a blue one!!! I hate things not being colour coordinated! Lol

Mandy

Likes Bikes
Hey,
I was just wondering if some of you could please rattle off some brand names for gear.
In particular full face helmets, protective clothing and body armour and shoes so yeh pretty much everything!. I am looking at laybying all my gear now so by the time my car is sold i can just go in and get it all off:)
Thanks in advance girls!!!

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Well I own a normal MET helmet (not full face), and my clipless shoes are by Specialized - MTB Comp (men's coz i don't fit into womens!). They are the most comfortable mtb shoes I tried on and other people rave about them too Well worth giving them a go if you want to go clipless.

I also have a camelback women's specific.. but I tend to ride in jeans (I know, not very good to keep the temperature down, but they sure protect me when I have a crash!) but I have been looking for a good pair of riding shorts for summer. And my gloves are made by "Tuff" and I also have some Fox gloves.

Last edited:

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Hey,
I was just wondering if some of you could please rattle off some brand names for gear.
In particular full face helmets, protective clothing and body armour and shoes so yeh pretty much everything!. I am looking at laybying all my gear now so by the time my car is sold i can just go in and get it all off:)
Thanks in advance girls!!!
Yep, MET Helmets are very good for trails but if you want to do dh don't go without your full face. I have a Giro Remedy which was mid $200's whereas a TLD D2 is high $400's!! both are very good. I have six six one leg guards and dainese arm guards and both are great. As for shoes if you want to go flats you should look at 5-10's which have the worlds stickiest soles but only come in black. White would be nice but the blacks wash so well!

As for colours, I love blue and have a blue womens specific camelbak which is great and for clipless pedals I have Cannondale blue shoes. My shorts are handmedown fox base shorts (from my son) and new cobalt blue TLD shorts which are really cool on hot days. I have a light grey Oakley short sleeve jersey and riding T shirts. I also have soft rose coloured fox girls gloves.

Hopefully that helps you work out what you need. Good luck!:)

Zooke

Likes Bikes
I wear either netty or fox shorts with nicks inlayed, or I have raceface shorts without. The Netty ones I only really wear on the road bike, they don't offer a whole lot of protection on the trails. I also wear road jerseys most of the time (not the skin tight lycra things, jezzz I'ld scare everyone to death if I wore the lycra ones!!), I like my fluid jersey, it's from Anaconda, it's like their homebrand type thing, don't touch anything else by them but do like the jersys. And my raceface one is pretty worn in.

I wear BBB gloves, which seem to be going well, Shimano MTB shoes. Swore I would never ride clipped in, but these are really comfy and wear them on both road and dirt. Met helmet, Blackwolf hydropak......... can't think of anything else right now.

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Yep, MET Helmets are very good for trails but if you want to do dh don't go without your full face. I have a Giro Remedy which was mid $200's whereas a TLD D2 is high $400's!! both are very good.
the remedies awesome, hish peak, removble liner for washing! wide opening for goggles!

Lizardskin

Likes Dirt
Hey girls

Ive got a TLD full face which is pretty new, it is soooo good. Before that I had Netti, which was ok but now i have teh TLD I would never go back.

Dianese body armour, Fox knee and shins, MACE (they do chicks ones which fit really well for small hands) and Fox gloves.

Ive got Pearl Izumi clipless shoes for DH (with little purple bits on them:) ). I have Nike for XC but the PI ones are really comfy and a more casual style. When I ride with flats I use DCs.

As for clothes the Sombrio stuff is really cool. A bit pricey but they do funky chicks stuff. Ive also got quite a lot of Kathmandu riding tops for casual XC stuff.
My 2c worth :) :)

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
I bought my first ever pair of REAL mtb shorts a few days ago, and just christened them out in the state forest at Wingham (near Taree).

OMG - I am NEVER going back to jeans!! My butt felt NOTHING! Literally no feeling like I had sat on a boys seat for 2 hours... Absolute bliss I tell you! For all you girls that don't have a pair of mtb knicks or shorts, YOU NEED THEM! :D

(Mine are Louis Garneau's Escape - women's of course)

Last edited:

Mandy

Likes Bikes
For anyone who is unsure if they need shorts and doesnt wanna spend the money on them for them to be uncomfortable. Rebel Sport have a netti pair they are only $30 but its just the lycra so wear ur usual shorts over the top. Gurentee you wont feel like you wasted the money!

Bethany

Likes Bikes
Hey i just wondered if anyone could help me out.

My friend found these jumpers online that have brands of forks and other bike parts on them and i was wondering if anyone knew the wesite?

Its for a present so i dont wanna ask him again.

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
i have no idea but have you tried searching google with the keywords being fork brand and jumper?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm no dh'er here, but as for the brand name game -
I've got a MET helmet (crackerjack - had better vents than the equivalent priced Giro).
Just brought a brand new pair of Troy Lee XC gloves - fantastic, nicer design than my now 5yr old pair - but as for durability only time will tell.

Ventou jersey off ebay is as far as I've got into the cycling specific clothing. Love the pockets in the back, even though I carry a camelback on all my rides the jersey pockets are still great for having the mobile at hand.

661 veggie guards is as far as I have gone for protection - but they'd be better if they didn't have the cutout hole at the back of the knee - would probably try something from fox or troy lee if I could have the choice again.

So I've been sticking to the mainstream in regards to brand names.

Maybe one day I'll venture into the mtb shorts / knicks domain - I'd be looking at fox, nzo, ground effect etc.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
...Rebel Sport have a netti pair they are only $30 but its just the lycra so wear ur usual shorts over the top...
I always wear normal shorts over lycra ones, they are much cheaper than the shy shorts and you get to pick the style of short to wear over top (lets face it some of the shy shorts have some really poxy designs).
As for the Rebel Sport knicks, the 8 panel ones are sooooo comfy - once you get past the "it almost feels like a nappy sensation" anyway ;)

mtb_biker

Likes Bikes
Thought i'd pass on some info on some new clothing/protection for women.

Have any of you checked out Loeka clothing?
here's some of their stuff Here

and the new rockgardn women's armor lineup is out that fits women better
Here

yakinAway

Likes Dirt
chicks ridin gear

hey all

I had heaps of issues when I started ridding DH Im a NZ size ten which ment finding armour n shin guards was a nightmare....

my LBS n a few others were awesome they got heaps of stuff in for me to try

I now own:
* an XS 661 Pressure suit which was the best fit we could get,
* a set of 661 4x4 S shin a and knee guards with modified straps
* a set of Oakley Goggles
* a brand new (it arrived yesterday n I am still in awe) carbon fibre Giro Remedy in a small (full face)
a Bell Bella XC helmet
I use AXO gloves which I find mint and cheap they fit real awesome and dont move they are XS though

I have Lake shoes and various pedals umm Keywin DH ones and Shimano 525's n some keywin silly xc ones
661 comp shoes for the HT n silly pedals
ohhh n camel packs I have two I have a daystar which is a womens hike pck but is awesome, I can get heaps of water snacks a jacket n my shin pads in there when riddin uphill

Im sure I own more than that but I cant think of it
cheers All
YAK