My 170 v 175mm crank experiment: the results are in...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
TLDR: 170mm sucks, 175mm for the win!

Background:
I have two 2020 Trance 29ers, one here and one in Germany. The components and frame materials are different between the two but the bike setup is almost identical (seat height, reach, handlebar width, stem length, etc.).

The German bike has 170mm cranks and all of my other bikes have 175mm cranks. Riding the German bike for the last 5 or so weeks has led me to the conclusion that (for me at least) I prefer the 175mm for all the riding I do.

Before running this experiment, I thought that the shorter cranks would be better for spinning along on flat and undulating terrain and that they would be terrible on long big climbs. I was wrong. The shorter (170mm cranks) when spinning along on long rides (eg >50km) on gravel and undulating felt like harder work. Conversely, I didn't notice any disadvantage in the shorter cranks for steeper, longer climbs.

Where the shorter cranks were terrible was when the climbs got super-steep, slippery or technical. I could really notice both the lack of leverage and the lack of control. The longer cranks let me put the power down in a smoother way and more of it. When I needed to punch up a big rock ledge I kept having the experience of coming up short and it's a weird feeling. Because the bikes are so similar, your mind expects it to behave the same way, so for the dynamic moves all the muscle memory comes into play, you execute the move and then you get this WTF? moment when it doesn't end as planned.

Riding at this time of year in Germany involves wet roots covered in rotting fallen autumn leaves. This is a mind-blowingly slippery combination. The shorter cranks make it much harder to maintain traction when climbing in these circumstances. It's like with the shorter cranks you get a power-pulse to the rear wheel that is shorter in duration and so breaks the rear tyre loose easier.

One final point: pedal strikes. This has got to be better with shorter cranks, but I seldom get a pedal strike with 175mm cranks, so I can't say its of much benefit to how I ride.

I did not think I'd notice such a dramatic difference between the two cranks lengths, but now that I'm back riding the 175mm Trance I can conclusively say that for me the 170mm cranks suck.

moorey

call me Mia
170mm are acceptable.

If you don’t have 165’s.

I do have one bike still running 175. I do notice it, and I don’t like it, but horses for courses.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I can't notice the leverage difference.

Pedal strikes... maybe.

A number of factors will help pedal strikes apart from crank length... suspension, big pedals, Q factor and tyre size/pressure.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
165 FTW for me. BB height and pedal strikes (mainly pedal strikes) got me experimenting. 160 I can notice and whilst I could get used to it, it felt off, like spinning a kids bike.
175 cranks left a lasting impression on me and I’ll never go back.
I feel just as knackered getting to the top of a hill on probably any length crank so my length choice is mainly increasing the chance of descent survival.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If you've got shorter legs then I can see why the shorter cranks would be good. I've always tried to give the kids the right sized crank length for their legs. A tall mate made himself some 200mm cranks and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The Trance has the usual modern/low BB and I run a lot of sag on the rear (~30%) and a 2.2" tyre so my BB height will be low. I also try to be pedaling whenever I'm not braking so I should well and truly be within the pedal-strike danger zone. Fortunately, for me they're rare.

As far as pedal strikes go, I'd say technique is the most important thing and I'm not just talking about pedal stroke timing. What your suspension is doing (particularly the rear) and the angle at which you have your pedal at the bottom of the stroke will have a much bigger difference on pedal strikes than 5mm of crank arm length.