My 2011 Giant Trance x1

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
5 days old
12.77 Kg with the pedals
I love it, slowly getting it dialed in, what I don't like is the non continous rear derailler cable outer.
With the wet season approaching this will have to go.
New Dyna sys system is great, very smooth shifting
This would have to be one of the only bikes I have owned that will be hard to upgrade unless I want to go completely weight weenie, I had the long stem and bars replaced before it left the dealer as part of the deal [hence the carbon which I doubt I would have bought myself] , I had the bike as a demo for 3 days and in that time it became clear [at least to me] that with the long stock stem the bike felt sluggish with too much weight over the front on decents, now I really like the way it handles.

Last edited:

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really nice! Looking at getting myself one as well, don't suppose you also tried out the reign?

if so, whats the difference like? good, bad ugly?

brad353

Likes Dirt
i have the 2011 reign1. it's an excellent bike and i love it. depends what kind of riding you wanna do i guess

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have the 2011 reign1. it's an excellent bike and i love it. depends what kind of riding you wanna do i guess
a bit of AM and XC... good for both? I am going to give one a try if course, just don't want to build my hopes to high ;)

Kramer

FoBR
Sweet ride! I have the 2008 X1 so am v jealous.

I reckon a tyre swap to something a little lighter than the Nevagals (Larsen TTs?) and tubeless conversion could see you below 12.5Kg.

BTW - notice in the pic you already have rub marks on the brake cable where it is zip tied to the rocker link. You should put some protective tape on the derailer and brake cables and fit a looser zip tie - otherwise it will yank on the cables under full compression and slowly wear away the casing.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
thats a full kilo heavier than my 2010!!
Than your 2010 What??

The 12.77 was an honest weight measured instore on a hanging digital scale complete with the Shimano pedals as shown [around 400grams per pair], about as accurate as could be resonably expected.
Not saying I dont believe you but you have given no reference point for your statement.
How many weight weenie mods has your bike got?
What model is it?
What size is it?
Was your weight measured correctly on high quality hanging scales or was it the bathroom scales your Mum uses?
Does it include pedals? if so what type?

From my point of view it seems one of the most contentious issues in the cycling world is bike weight.
I have owned several mid to upper end bikes and in almost every case when I have weighed my bikes they always seem to weight more than every ones elses bike of the same model and spec.
How can this be? simple, people BS because its not cool to have what would appears to be a "Heavy" bike.
I take all bike weights given with a fair amount of sceptisism

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They just keep getting better year after year, nice bike to look at and nice bikes to ride!:)

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Weapon

Its a fucking weapon. I just ordered the 2012 X1. Only difference is to keep prices down they swapped th XT wheelset for giant items. Other wise much the same RRP$2800.

d_n2blue

Likes Dirt
I also have one of these, love the thing! And although my spec is totally different (custom build) mine weighs 12.64kg, pretty much the same as yours. Enjoy it!

MTBm8

Likes Bikes
Top Stuff

I have the 08 Trance X2 and plan to upgrade in 2012 and for the type of riding I do (XC-Enduro's-lite AM) I cant find anything better so I will get another Trance X. Glad your enjoying the bike.
XT Wheel set does look like 50c pieces but I like it.

kiwirider

Cannon Fodder
Trance

Hi, loved the PZ Racing carbon, can you let me know what stem model you used? How do you find it? Also, the PZ Racing bars - they're a fair bit shorter than the stock 690 mm, have you found this better, worse or indifferent?

tks

Simon