my .243 review (with pics)

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Ok, i've had this bike since they were delivered in late January/ Early Feb this year (i forget when exactly). It was built mainly from parts from my 2002 Kona Stinky and a few new ones. It was built up right before the Johnny Waddell Fundraising Race @ Chittering which was held sometime in February. I had a great first run but things fell apart when i started pedalling a little harder in the second run and i ended up getting horror arm pump. End result, i lost hold of the handlebars and crashed over a jump in front of a big crowd, driving my left shoulder and head straight in to the hardpack dirt. One trip to the hospital and one hot x-ray technician later, diagnosed with 4th degree (i think) dislocation of the AC joint in my shoulder. Off the bike for a couple of months. Definately no DH. I have been doing a fair bit or urban riding and recently did a couple of xc rides on local trails at John Forrest National PArk and @ JArrahdale.

So now the review starts. Coming from a dual suspension i was pleasently suprised by the supple ride provided by the 4130 chromoly steel frame. Very forgiving in urban environments and to my suprise the thing absolutely railed around the burmed corners on my favourite XC singletrack in Jarrahdale. This past Sunday's ride was a very memorable one for me. I finally realised why i love the bike so much. It is just so comfortable in all kinds of situations. On my 10 DH runs before the accident it was also really easy to pilot around the corners, through rock sections and over jumps. I had no arguments with it. Although my atomlab aircorp rear wheel did. With no suspension to suck up the hits, it ended up with 4 bad dings in the side from sideways rock hits. Still rolls straight though! So the bike rules. Hopefully if you're thinking about buying one this might convince you to put your order in. I have no experience on other steel hardtails so you'll have to take my word for how good it is.

Spec.
FRAME: 2004 .243 large mtb bb.
FORK: Marzocchi z1 wedge 5 inch
HEADSET: FSA PIG loose ball
STEM: Kona Clump

HANDLEBARS : Kona Clump
GRIPS : Oury mtb (red)
FRONT BRAKE Hayes HMX, mechanical disc, 6" rotor

REAR BRAKE Hayes HMX, mechanical disc, 6" rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Hayes Mech Disc Levers

FRONT DERAILLEUR who needs one?

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Deore LX

CASSETTE Shimano , 9-speed,

CHAIN Whipperman (good one)

CRANKSET: DMR Chieftain 3pce chromoly (tough as)

CHAINRING: Blackspire 38 tooth

CHAINGUIDE: E-13 srs (BOMBPROOF, EASY TO SET-UP, RELIABLE)

PEDALS: Odyssey Southgate looseballed (love 'em)

RIMS Sun DitchWitch, 26" (front)
Atomlab Aircorp 24" (rear)

FRONT HUB 36 hole shimano, disc, sealed loose ball bearings

REAR HUB 36 hole shimano deore, disc,

SPOKES dt swiss champion (i think, who cares)

FRONT TIRE 26" Maxxis High Roller supertacky or Hookworms
REAR TIRE 24" Maxxis Highroller or Hookworms

TUBES maxxis DH

SADDLE: .243 MTB (sparkly)
SEAT POST: Titec knock-rated (lifetime warranty) 390mm (nice and long for XC rides)
SEAT BINDER: .243

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt

me launching at Jarrahdale. Not a big jump by anybodys standards but this is pretty much mt third or fourth time in the air since the crash in February.

naz

Criminally Inane
ahh your a pretty tall fella, i was wondering why u ran ur seat so high :wink:
jeez i feel uncomfortable runnin my seat over 10cm

Ryan

Radministrator
Not to piss on your parade here but do you really think it's the frame that makes the ride 'supple'?

We're testing a .243 at the moment too and it's my experience that once you're dealing with dirt jumping / street frames the material that it's built from makes fuck all difference to ride quality, because everythings so small and stiff.

I couldn't really tell the difference between the ride of the .243 and any of the small aluminium hardtails we've tested. Tyre size and compound makes a lot more difference to how forgiving the ride is on these bikes than frame material does.

That said, there is something "special" about the way these bikes ride, they really do have incredibly dialled geometry and they just about manual themselves. That's a sweet build mate, enjoy it.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Well yes i do think the chromoly makes a difference. I've ridden the same trial on my old alloy kona cindercone and on a easton tubed avanti xc race bike and both were stiff as fvck and had no give in them over rocks and stuff like that. I guess one of the key things about the .243 is the geometry. I'm also sure that running a 2.7 on the front and 24" 2.5 on the back helps with the comfy ride. I've noticed the forgiving ride in all three aspects of my riding. XC, DH and Urban. My wrists and ankles aren't killing me after some big drops and stair gaps. So yes, it does make a difference in my opinion.

S.

ex offender
Ryan said:
Not to piss on your parade here but do you really think it's the frame that makes the ride 'supple'?

We're testing a .243 at the moment too and it's my experience that once you're dealing with dirt jumping / street frames the material that it's built from makes fuck all difference to ride quality, because everythings so small and stiff.

I couldn't really tell the difference between the ride of the .243 and any of the small aluminium hardtails we've tested. Tyre size and compound makes a lot more difference to how forgiving the ride is on these bikes than frame material does.
A Banshee Morphine with Truvativ cranks, and DH tyres at <30psi is way stiffer than my 243 with cromo cranks and tyres at 60psi. There is quite a noticeable difference. That said, the 243 is pretty stiff compared to the DMR, which seemed to have quite a bit of give. Seriously, ride a Morphine and something else (you have a trailstar don't you?) back to back, and tell me you can't tell the difference.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
i cant figure out how Ryan is testing a bunch of different bikes made from different materials and cannot notice any difference between them. Surely there was a reason why you picked a chromoly bike (DMR) over an aluminium one like a p3? At the moment, i'm totally of the opinion that for the kind of riding I do it would be a totally backwards step to go for an alloy HARDTAIL frame. I'm 6'2" and about 90kgs so i put some serious hurt on my bikes and my parts. And the .243 is the right bike for ME right now.

Ryan

Radministrator
I can notice the difference and I acknowledge that there is some sort of heirachy of stiffness, with bikes like my DMR at the bottom and stuff like Banshees at the top.

The thing is that having ridden the .243, the CR8 and the Cove back to back I can seriously say that there is little if any difference between the ride of the three bikes, they're all stiff as hell and totally unforgiving.

When you build a cromo bike as burly as the .243 you're not going to get much of the mythical ride quality of steel out of it. Obviously you still get the vibration damping qualities, but there's bugger all flex or give in the frame. Anyway, I like the bike, I just don't think it has as forgiving a ride as other steel bikes I've ridden.

S.

ex offender
Ryan said:
I can notice the difference and I acknowledge that there is some sort of heirachy of stiffness, with bikes like my DMR at the bottom and stuff like Banshees at the top.

The thing is that having ridden the .243, the CR8 and the Cove back to back I can seriously say that there is little if any difference between the ride of the three bikes, they're all stiff as hell and totally unforgiving.

When you build a cromo bike as burly as the .243 you're not going to get much of the mythical ride quality of steel out of it. Obviously you still get the vibration damping qualities, but there's bugger all flex or give in the frame. Anyway, I like the bike, I just don't think it has as forgiving a ride as other steel bikes I've ridden.
Yeah for sure, it's much stiffer than my old DMR was. But there's still a fair leap to Morphines IMO.

bazza

look at me
noice noice. good to see you back on farkin!!! btw what has happend to the ol stinky??? i remember that thing was awesome with the extension plates and everything.

chucK

Likes Dirt
Hey dan, its donovan, went with a ride and 2 of your mates early this year.
I bloody love the .243! Looks like an absolute treat to ride. Very simple looking, way they should be.

Also love the picture at jarrahdale, i gotta get my self up there some time. Is it easy to find your way around there?
Gotta give me a buzz next time you go for a city ride, gotta see that bike in action!
catcha

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats a nice bike mate. And I wish I knew where that drop was at Jarrahdale, I'll look harder next time I'm out there.

stooge

Likes Dirt
jays_5000 said:
Does it have v- mounts for 24" rims?
Yep, it sure does.

It also has an adjustable wheel base of 15.7" - 16.5"
The vee brake mounts are also adjustable through out this range.
For more info on it jay's click here

(/Hi jacking)

stooge

Likes Dirt
BTW, nice bike Dan, go the .243's, glad your liking it because i sure am enjoying mine :D

Good frame they are!

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the input guys.

Bazza: the stinky is sitting in a box wiating for me to save some money to build it up again or for me to sell it.

The Jarrahdale stuff is easy to find. The pic of the launch is right where all the north shore stuff has always been. There have been huge upgrades in the last couple of months. The trails are located in the Langford Park mtb area.